Lyra Etna, Miyajima Labs Madake or....?

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
The qualities you describe in the Etna are more important to me than slam. Thanks for your reply, very helpful.
Excellent choice. Many would argue, including me, that the Etna SL smokes the competition.

Cascais

Nov 5, 2012
Portugal
My dealer installed my new Lyra Etna a couple of days ago to replace the Skala. For the first day I missed the Skala as the tonal balance of the Etna seemed on the bright side. Next day it was much better, very positive and am eager to hear it when it is broken in. How long is the process of break in for this cartridge?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
My dealer installed my new Lyra Etna a couple of days ago to replace the Skala. For the first day I missed the Skala as the tonal balance of the Etna seemed on the bright side. Next day it was much better, very positive and am eager to hear it when it is broken in. How long is the process of break in for this cartridge?

20 hours I would guess. The Etna is anything but bright after it has settled.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think the sound will continue to change for at least 100 hours. It takes a long time for the cantilever to loosen up.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Can i ask the Madake users, is it just a bit out of it's lane with percussion and large scale complex, bass driven music?

I ask because a Madake is on my shopping list for different genres, mainly acoustic, ethereal stuff like Alt-J, but i wonder if it could also be pressed into frontline duty with the larger scale bass driven dance music, just in the short term while i save money for what i have in mind for that
(Miyabi)

Any thoughts on which Schroeder tonearm would be a better match for a Snakewood Madake, An LT or a CB?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can i ask the Madake users, is it just a bit out of it's lane with percussion and large scale complex, bass driven music?

Yes. Though not a madake user and will never be.

Miya zero, will probably get it some day

Reactions: infinitely baffled

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For Schroeder query ask Francois at Anamighty sound or Schroeder himself if you go to Munich

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I thought it worth asking since my other choice for Alt-J and acoustic, a Van den Hul Colibri, turns out to cope quite well with dance music and lacks nothing in the lower frequencies

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Yes. Though not a madake user and will never be.

Miya zero, will probably get it some day

Then how do you know it can’t handle complex music or did I misunderstand your answer?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Then how do you know it can’t handle complex music or did I misunderstand your answer?

The madake I have heard many times and compared to other carts. Never liked it. The Miya monos I always liked

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The madake I have heard many times and compared to other carts. Never liked it. The Miya monos I always liked

My opinion is that until you live with a cartridge in your own system for 3-4 months, playing a wide variety of music, it is really hard to assess it.

I have had a Madake for about that period of time and although it isn't my end-game cartridge, there is no music that I found it be unable to handle. There are definitely better cartridges out there, including the Clearaudio GFS that I am now using, but I preferred the Madake to the Etna SL, for starters.

YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And my opinion is except in rare cases of expertise, people who live with their own gear just get used to it and don't know any better. Best way to evaluate stuff is to listen to it in different systems set up by people who have expertise with that particular component. If it sounds good, great, you have found a combination it works with, like I have found in the case of red sparrow. Sometimes you find consistency either good or bad. For me madake has always disappointed especially on complex music, like IB mentioned. If you like it you probably do not have enough exposure to alternatives like Stradivarius, red sparrow, Decca London reference, etc with the right recordings. No offence. GFS is better and the Etna isn't good anyway, like you said.

My opinion is that until you live with a cartridge in your own system for 3-4 months, playing a wide variety of music, it is really hard to assess it.

I have had a Madake for about that period of time and although it isn't my end-game cartridge, there is no music that I found it be unable to handle. There are definitely better cartridges out there, including the Clearaudio GFS that I am now using, but I preferred the Madake to the Etna SL, for starters.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
And my opinion is except in rare cases of expertise, people who live with their own gear just get used to it and don't know any better. Best way to evaluate stuff is to listen to it in different systems set up by people who have expertise with that particular component. If it sounds good, great, you have found a combination it works with, like I have found in the case of red sparrow. Sometimes you find consistency either good or bad. For me madake has always disappointed especially on complex music, like IB mentioned. If you like it you probably do not have enough exposure to alternatives like Stradivarius, red sparrow, Decca London reference, etc with the right recordings. No offence

I respectfully disagree. When you listen to something in a unfamiliar system how do you know what is driving the sound you either like or don't like?

If I can change one item in my system I can assess what the change is, ie. a controlled experiment.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I respectfully disagree. When you listen to something in a unfamiliar system how do you know what is driving the sound you either like or don't like?

If I can change one item in my system I can assess what the change is, ie. a controlled experiment.

To start with, if it takes you 3- 4 months of getting a cart in your system to evaluate it, then you are confusing between set up and listening. 3 - 4 months in that case can often not be sufficient. To understand a cart, you have to take it through different phonos and different arms and different system, i.e. follow a cart around, set up in those systems, which in one person's system will be much longer

The fact that you agree with me that GFS is better and Etna is not, and you have no/less exposure to my favorite carts mentioned, proves a point. In fact you had defended Etna a few months ago when I had not

As to your controlled experiment query, your system, like any one owner's system, is limited by his own budget, expertise, and experience. You need to do controlled experiments in many systems to go beyond what you know.

You had previously asked me what I thought of the Doshi phono in Myles' system. I told you I didn't know as the system was unfamiliar and I did not do a compare. I did not follow that phono around in other systems either. With Madake it is the opposite

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I thought it worth asking since my other choice for Alt-J and acoustic, a Van den Hul Colibri, turns out to cope quite well with dance music and lacks nothing in the lower frequencies
If you're up for trying out something new, and if you have a higher mass *arm still (like the Ikeda in your system list, 3012, FR64S, correctly optioned Schroeder CB etc):

Happy to send you a Sensitive Sound Y12S or T8 to try. The bass presention is quite special imho. No obligation. Just fun :)

*these carts are 22-23g and low compliance.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you for your kind offer.
I would suggest we speak again once i have my intended macro dynamic solution in place, namely a Miyabi Fuuga.
Then it will be a useful comparison ?
Thank you again

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Bonzo did the Madake have no redeeming qualities, in your experience?

May i ask, have you come across the Snakewood variant?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Thank you for your kind offer.
I would suggest we speak again once i have my intended macro dynamic solution in place, namely a Miyabi Fuuga.
Then it will be a useful comparison ?
Thank you again
Anytime you are in the mood! Comparison with a *Fuuga should be fun.

* caveat is that the arm choice may be different between the two.The Fuuga is a pretty heavy cart but just light enough to use with certain medium mass arms...

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
Very nice! How do the Etna SL and Anna compare?

I ended up buying the Etna SL. It is still running in and it is not yet dialled in. It sounds good, but has not yet knocked my socks off. At this point I still prefer my Kuzma CAR 40.

View attachment 36494
Hi! I’m using a CAR-30 for a couple of years now. I got it back from refurbish service, new coils, damper, cantaliver (boron) and MR diamond by a 3part.
It sounds extremely correct, not really as I remembered it.
While it was gone I moved up to a R from a S, same 4-point (9”) so it is maybe not due to the cart.
Well I also have a excellent refurbished Glider (with costume Ebony body) that I bought while my CAR-30 was away.
Now to my question, you seem to really like the -40? I’m planning to expand my collection of carts, but I’m not sure in what direction.
30 and 40? Are they to similar or is it worth buying a 40? Or should I save up even more and get a 50? At the same time the Benz I heave is also nice sounding so there is the option of SLR or LPS.....
I’ve never heard Lyra but I don’t want it leaner than the CAR-30 I already have.

Attachments

• 4090A557-A506-4568-BF92-2C2BE71330ED.jpeg
    4090A557-A506-4568-BF92-2C2BE71330ED.jpeg
    540.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 92A56B7B-D3BD-4DCE-8F90-8CAD1C98A650.jpeg
    92A56B7B-D3BD-4DCE-8F90-8CAD1C98A650.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing