Problems with Mac El Capitan and USB-X

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This is all very interesting, because I am considering a streaming solution for my system. Right now I am trying to decide if I build a Windows HTPC, or buy a dedicated renderer. The advantage of the Windows PC is that it can be used for all sorts of other things, e.g. applying DSP. The other advantage is that I can download the software and use it for a trial period ... as opposed to dropping multi-thousand $$$ on an Aurender and finding that the interface does not work for me. The disadvantage, as you say, is that it is unreliable, and there are too many unnecessary services.

Keith, do you want local storage...hard drives connected directly and situated near the transport...or a remote library set up?

Either way you do not have to spend multi thousands..there are several excellent solutions for well under $1000 you can try
to dip you toe in the water. The above mentioned Aries Mini is one.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
This is all very interesting, because I am considering a streaming solution for my system. Right now I am trying to decide if I build a Windows HTPC, or buy a dedicated renderer. The advantage of the Windows PC is that it can be used for all sorts of other things, e.g. applying DSP. The other advantage is that I can download the software and use it for a trial period ... as opposed to dropping multi-thousand $$$ on an Aurender and finding that the interface does not work for me. The disadvantage, as you say, is that it is unreliable, and there are too many unnecessary services.

Great post by John Darko on the Auralic Aries Mini..I see it as a gateway product..very little risk involved.
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/10/auralic-aries-mini-rmaf-2015-minimalism-10-things/

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Keith, do you want local storage...hard drives connected directly and situated near the transport...or a remote library set up?

Given how cheap storage is these days, I would want it local. Just to avoid network latency. At the moment I am heavily leaning towards a hotrodded Windows PC, only because I am familiar with it.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Andre,

I agree with you that Auralic was/is ambitious. I don't know exactly how many US employees they have, but they're a China-based company anyway. Programmers are programmers, doesn't matter where they are, no? I don't think many audio companies have more dedicated IT/programming staff than Auralic. Maybe Linn or Devialet.
Oh, I know their US-based head of support is a very capable guy, that used to work for Apple actually.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Andre Marc and Alex: thank you for correcting (and enlightening) me.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
regarding Steve and the Playback Designs......no doubt it seems to not benefit from the hotrod server I'm using much.....compared to the Trinity in my system. whether that is because it's already solved the issues, or whether it's design cannot benefit from the advantages of my 'hotrod' server, is anyone's guess. I can just judge the final performance.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,

I agree with you that Auralic was/is ambitious. I don't know exactly how many US employees they have, but they're a China-based company anyway. Programmers are programmers, doesn't matter where they are, no? I don't think many audio companies have more dedicated IT/programming staff than Auralic. Maybe Linn or Devialet.
Oh, I know their US-based head of support is a very capable guy, that used to work for Apple actually.

Actually, having knowledgable support staff in the US is absolutely vital. The programmers and developers on staff as you say, can
be anywhere.

I just don't think it works having a hybrid sales/support/marketing person roaming the US.

BTW, when I said that Auralic was ambitious, that was complimentary...I am glad they are pushing the boundaries.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
What is the size of your digital library?

I have my main 'new' hotrodded CPU w/ssd next to my gear in my room in the barn (1 meter USB's); then a 24 terabyte NAS upstairs above my room connected to my main CPU over the network. then in my house I have another back up NAS with 24 terabytes connected on my network for safety. the main CPU I replaced the new hot-rodded one with I've set up as a ripping station (including a 50 disc Kodak loader) on the Network and it's where all my downloaded files go to be sent to the NAS. that way any downloading processes are kept completely separate from the music CPU in my room.

right now I have about 15-16 terabytes of music; but I've been buying Quad dsd files (I have about 20 Quad dsd albums so far....wow!) and they are big so it's growing daily.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I am not sure. I think I have ripped about 1/2 of my collection of CD's to FLAC. At the moment the whole thing weighs in at 600GB. I think a 3-4TB drive should be easily more than sufficient.

Agree on the drive. I love the G-Tech drives personally.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have my main 'new' hotrodded CPU w/ssd next to my gear in my room in the barn (1 meter USB's); then a 24 terabyte NAS upstairs above my room connected to my main CPU over the network. then in my house I have another back up NAS with 24 terabytes connected on my network for safety. the main CPU I replaced the new hot-rodded one with I've set up as a ripping station (including a 50 disc Kodak loader) on the Network and it's where all my downloaded files go to be sent to the NAS. that way any downloading processes are kept completely separate from the music CPU in my room.

right now I have about 15-16 terabytes of music; but I've been buying Quad dsd files (I have about 20 Quad dsd albums so far....wow!) and they are big so it's growing daily.
Wholly smokes Mike!. I am at around 10 TB now.

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
My MacBook Pro Retina was asked to upgrade to the new Sierra iOS operating system, which I did from El Capitan.
The wonderful news is today through Audirvana, my USB-XII box got recognised. And the MPS-5 was recognising all the different files, ppm-redbook, 48/96, Single DSD, double DSD.....very easily.
Just for those who have suffered the pain since well over a year of not being able to use your PBD due to El Capitan.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing