Best speaker placement in oblong room, open plan kitchen/LR

lonepine

Sep 29, 2015
Northern California, USA
Hi,
I wonder if anyone has ideas on how to best place floor standing speakers in an oblong room that houses an open plan kitchen (island + bank of cabinets along one of the long walls) and a small living room.

We currently have a pair of very basic book shelf speakers on the cabinets that surround our fridge, placed roughly in the middle of one of the long walls. We heard a pair of floor standing speakers and found the sound engaging, and made us breathe differently, more openly. But we're not sure where to place them?

Enclosed is a plan view of our kitchen. Any thoughts welcome.

Ktich_LR_speakers.jpg

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Firing across the room from the long wall is normally better than down the room.
I would start with either side of the two windows in the bottom left and put them on stands.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Would you consider rotating your white couch 90 degrees, so it runs along the bottom of the page and then up/parallel with your dining room table? Then put your speakers in A and the opposite corner (bottom lefthand of page)?

That might make a very logical placement for 2 speakers, and if you can get the couch right, give you a comfortable seating around (again logically around the music), as well as maintain the rest of your living/dining space.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
An oblong room for cone speakers on the short wall is going to have a lot of side wall reflections, unless you sit close in.

There is no room for horns. So the other choices are a corner speaker like Tannoy/AN-E (not my taste), or you can have panels on the short wall, but the rear wave should be reflected off the wall and not be lost through that window. Not sure how much space you have on the wall before the windows start.

But I think you will end up sitting pretty near field either way.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I dont think that kitchen is a place where any critical listening will be done..so I would go with a devialet phantom setup or get 2 better "lifestyle" type DSP wall mounted speakers where you CAN place for best effect rather than try shoehorn floorstanders into an unsuitable position

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
. We heard a pair of floor standing speakers and found the sound engaging, and made us breathe differently, more openly. But we're not sure where to place them.

Do you have a particular pair of speakers in mind that you want placed or just looking to upgrade your sound? What type of music do you listen to? What is the rest of your system and your budget for new speakers? What are your room dimensions, do you have a scale drawing of your apartmet? Reason I ask is that some speakers would work better than others in your space and I want to better understand your needs before making any recommendations.

david

lonepine

Sep 29, 2015
Northern California, USA
Do you have a particular pair of speakers in mind that you want placed or just looking to upgrade your sound? What type of music do you listen to? What is the rest of your system and your budget for new speakers? What are your room dimensions, do you have a scale drawing of your apartmet? Reason I ask is that some speakers would work better than others in your space and I want to better understand your needs before making any recommendations.

david

Thanks all for the replies. So first of all, as I think will become obvious, I don't think of myself as an audiophile. For one thing, I haven't heard of half the gear people have mentioned :)

What started as the question, "Where can I put these nice sounding speakers?" has uncovered the more fundamental question: "Given our listening habits and our space, what would, say, a $1000, $2000, $3-4K investment do for us? Are we missing out on a considerably better listening experience?"

And then be done with it, hopefully. In the past I've taken a meandering, experimentalist path, which is difficult now with a young family.

My current set up is something I built up just out of grad school, and I haven't really done anything with it since: an old Marantz 2235 receiver has been the mainstay. Currently we mainly use iTunes or stream Pandora etc., from our iMac or iPhones via an Apple Airport Express and a very cheap Class D amp powering a pair of Polk R15 bookshelf speakers, which currently reside on top of the upper cabinets around our fridge (the head room is 11", and they're about 24" from the wall); less often, we listen to CDs and vinyl: CD player is a plastic Sony Discman, and the TT is a Dual something- bought 2nd hand <$200. I still have many of my CDs, and have only ripped recent ones using Apple lossless. I typically acquire new music as CDs.

We auditioned a pair of Paradigm Prestige 75F floorstanders and 15B book shelves. We're not wedded to the Paradigms- but were impressed- as this is the first time we've ever spent much time at the high end AV store in our area. Both were better than the Polks, we thought, but not immediately obviously so. The 75Fs were good- but frankly didn't feel that much better than our newish stock car stereo. However, once we were listening to some Stevie Wonder we found the music truly engaging- I felt I could breathe more easily, if that makes sense (a little like the first time I played a certain Steinway!), and didn't want to move from the listening couch; just kept wanting to listen to a song we’d heard 100s of times already. The bookshelf speakers were better too, but not $1600 better, to our ears, which maybe don’t deserve a big audio investment...?

We're passive/background listeners: while cooking, dining, entertaining, playing with our toddler. Our tastes are varied- everything from pop to western classical, jazz, Brazilian, Indian classical and bollywood, Broadway show tunes, etc. Our little one enjoys music immensely, in whom we've been able to cultivate more adult tastes (I think music is like food, get them exposed to good stuff early); so I view better listening quality a worthy investment. We have a family room downstairs, sparsely furnished, that we're developing- our piano (not the Steinway) is there, and soon a video screen; perhaps a more traditional stereo set up.

The room is approx 41' long x 12.5' wide x 8.75' high. Hardwood throughout. (It's not a large space by US standards- but it's the SF Bay Area, you know, where housing is like antique jewelry.)

Another plan view with a few dimensions is below (the couch is smaller than depicted in the drawing).

Any thoughts welcome- many thanks in advance!
Kitch_LR_speakers.jpg

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
the problem is that what you heard at the store might not and probably wont sound the same in your space
the space defines the sound.. you might get boomy bass in your space whereas in the store , it sounded great.
Kitchens also normally have hard furnishing and lots of reflective surfaces .. not good for sound.

I reccomend the devialet Phantoms , small , portable and can be placed anywhere , no wires except power , amazing specs and by all accounts very good sounding for the money.. will integrate with your streaming etc
http://en.devialet.com/phantom/#discover

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks all for the replies. So first of all, as I think will become obvious, I don't think of myself as an audiophile. For one thing, I haven't heard of half the gear people have mentioned :)

What started as the question, "Where can I put these nice sounding speakers?" has uncovered the more fundamental question: "Given our listening habits and our space, what would, say, a $1000, $2000, $3-4K investment do for us? Are we missing out on a considerably better listening experience?"

And then be done with it, hopefully. In the past I've taken a meandering, experimentalist path, which is difficult now with a young family.

My current set up is something I built up just out of grad school, and I haven't really done anything with it since: an old Marantz 2235 receiver has been the mainstay. Currently we mainly use iTunes or stream Pandora etc., from our iMac or iPhones via an Apple Airport Express and a very cheap Class D amp powering a pair of Polk R15 bookshelf speakers, which currently reside on top of the upper cabinets around our fridge (the head room is 11", and they're about 24" from the wall); less often, we listen to CDs and vinyl: CD player is a plastic Sony Discman, and the TT is a Dual something- bought 2nd hand <$200. I still have many of my CDs, and have only ripped recent ones using Apple lossless. I typically acquire new music as CDs.

We auditioned a pair of Paradigm Prestige 75F floorstanders and 15B book shelves. We're not wedded to the Paradigms- but were impressed- as this is the first time we've ever spent much time at the high end AV store in our area. Both were better than the Polks, we thought, but not immediately obviously so. The 75Fs were good- but frankly didn't feel that much better than our newish stock car stereo. However, once we were listening to some Stevie Wonder we found the music truly engaging- I felt I could breathe more easily, if that makes sense (a little like the first time I played a certain Steinway!), and didn't want to move from the listening couch; just kept wanting to listen to a song we’d heard 100s of times already. The bookshelf speakers were better too, but not $1600 better, to our ears, which maybe don’t deserve a big audio investment...?

We're passive/background listeners: while cooking, dining, entertaining, playing with our toddler. Our tastes are varied- everything from pop to western classical, jazz, Brazilian, Indian classical and bollywood, Broadway show tunes, etc. Our little one enjoys music immensely, in whom we've been able to cultivate more adult tastes (I think music is like food, get them exposed to good stuff early); so I view better listening quality a worthy investment. We have a family room downstairs, sparsely furnished, that we're developing- our piano (not the Steinway) is there, and soon a video screen; perhaps a more traditional stereo set up.

The room is approx 41' long x 12.5' wide x 8.75' high. Hardwood throughout. (It's not a large space by US standards- but it's the SF Bay Area, you know, where housing is like antique jewelry.)

Another plan view with a few dimensions is below (the couch is smaller than depicted in the drawing).

Any thoughts welcome- many thanks in advance!

What you heard wasn't just a pair of speakers it was a whole entire system and that's really what you need to upgrade, you don't have to be an audiophile to enjoy better sound. Your system is very basic and its not going to take much to drastically improve your sound. The following is what I'd recommend for you, the red X is where I recommend to place the speakers if you went with the JBLs. They're wide dispersion horns and should be able to fill up your space with great sound without breaking the bank.

JBL Studio 580

http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580.html?cgid=loudspeakers&dwvar_STUDIO%20580_color=Black#prefn1=isRefurbished&srule=price-high-to-low&sz=12&start=1&prefv1=false

Denon integrated amps have been a favorite for many years, always musical and far better sounding than many famous high priced electronics with only high end pretension. Don't find any integrated amps on their site anymore but this one came out a few years ago and sounds great and a perfect match for the JBLs. You can upgrade your CD player and TT in time as needed. You'll get better sound connecting your mac/iphone/ipad directly to the amp with the speakers wired instead of streaming it through airport xpress.

Denon PMA-A100

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/denon-pmaa100/217288646.html?listingId=422517812&sclid=pla_google_SafeandSoundHQ&adid=29963&rmatt=tsid:1012713%7Ccid:223285369%7Cagid:13229516569%7Ctid:kwd-85234345009%7Ccrid:60879536329%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:39052040504720382%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:1o1&gclid=CjwKEAjws7OwBRCn2Ome5tPP8gESJAAfopWs8sDtfDzqwNEBAo1J0az9TVp9dNuG6tazCPsfas9q4hoCHATw_wcB

david

Kitch_LR_speakers copy.jpg

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Very good to hear, DDK! My very first piece of equipment I ever bought after a boombox was a pair of Celestion SL6si's demo. I went out and spent some time listening to integrateds and for the first time ever actually realized one could tell the difference between amps...I had never realized it was possible. Took the Denon integrated over the Yamaha. That system lasted for nearly 8 years before upgrading to my first separates (CJ) and Guarneris. I did not know about horns then (but did not have the room either).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing