hORNS Universum 3 MKII

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Much obliged, Shakti :D

I would also like to thank you for your Ikeda thread.
Very thorough, very helpful

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Shakti, and initial comparisons to be made w yr Zingalis?

The Zingali is more harmonic voiced with a laid back treble and smooth midrange. The complete package is for long hour listening.
The Horns Universum III with the 2 Beryllium drivers makes much more resolution and attack. Which can be felt aggressive , if the CD/LP is not good recorded.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Shakti, you should try lowered powered sets. Then they won't be aggressive

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
3 month with the Horns Universum III , a lot of work and fun.

some thoughts:

- the Uni III need many many hours to burn in!

- BiAmping is preferred, if the amps or the preamp can make 4 to 6db gain difference between the Horn- and the Bass Section.
(my final set up is not! Biamping, the benefit of Biamping is audible, but the difference does not judge the investment in two sets of amps)

- minimum 4 to 5m listening distance to have Bass / Horn playing as one system

- Bass / Horn hand over is at 350hz, critical frequency, I optimized my in room position to have the best in this area

- Bass / low frequency capability is limited (at least in my room) in relation to the pure size of the speaker.
(flat to 60hz, than falling down to 30/35hz)

- very fast and natural sounding Horn section, this Beryllium drivers are very good, could be compared with TAD , I would think.

- the downfire bass is working very good with my room, less problems with bass modes than with the most other speakers. If the distance between bass and ground is set low, something soft needs to be placed on the ground. I placed the system relatively high, so no need for an absorber on the ground .

- I combined the system with a subwoofer, fast and powerful (Velodyne 1812 signature), which works very fine. So system response goes now down to 15hz, which helped the speaker a lot to sound in a more balanced way.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Why don't you get a pair of attenuators made to level match your amps properly Shakti?

david

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Why don't you get a pair of attenuators made to level match your amps properly Shakti?

david

The Uni III comes as a standard delivery with adjustable attenuators, but without them, the sound is more direct.
On the other hand, the Horns Attentuator is getting better over the time, may be I just have to get more hours on them.

Many japanese tube amplifiers (as Kondo, Air Tight) do have a Volume Potentiometer, a Bi Amping set up could be done than without the Horns attentuator.

Juergen

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The Uni III comes as a standard delivery with adjustable attenuators, but without them, the sound is more direct.
On the other hand, the Horns Attentuator is getting better over the time, may be I just have to get more hours on them.

Many japanese tube amplifiers (as Kondo, Air Tight) do have a Volume Potentiometer, a Bi Amping set up could be done than without the Horns attentuator.

Juergen

I think those attenuators are built to a price point you can get some really good ones out there and replace the ones in your crossover or bypass it altogether and place them before the low frequency amp.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Shakti, fascinated to hear you compare and contrast the Univs w the Zings.

My current spkrs are probably closer in nature to the Zings, so if I'm looking for a faster, more direct sound, then the Univs would be the better choice.

I'd be a little concerned that the Univs thin out at 60Hz, mine tail off closer to 40Hz.

And as you say, this necessitates subs, maybe a pair.

My maximum budget would just about cover that sum, so maybe I ought to at lesst consider them.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Shakti, fascinated to hear you compare and contrast the Univs w the Zings.

My current spkrs are probably closer in nature to the Zings, so if I'm looking for a faster, more direct sound, then the Univs would be the better choice.

I'd be a little concerned that the Univs thin out at 60Hz, mine tail off closer to 40Hz.

And as you say, this necessitates subs, maybe a pair.

My maximum budget would just about cover that sum, so maybe I ought to at lesst consider them.

Just feel invited to fly over to Cologne to listen to my Uni III
They go down to 35 hz, but with a lower level, so I added some weight with the subwoofer....

Juergen

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I think those attenuators are built to a price point you can get some really good ones out there and replace the ones in your crossover or bypass it altogether and place them before the low frequency amp.

david

Exactly my thoughts. The originals are adjustable, so I am on the way to find the best volume, that I am going to measure it and than to built a new one with good parts in the crossover. I will see the manufacturer next month during the Warschau High End show and will discuss the details with him, as I would prefer, that my Uni III is "manufacturer customized"

Juergen

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Shakti, I'm v impressed you've successfully married the Univs w subs, Id have thought one of the hardest things in audio was to pull off the trick of seamless link from horns/SETs to subs/SS.

Thanks for the offer re invite, I have Morricab also extending hospitality. Maybe I'm due for a Euro road trip to hear Univs at yours, Odeon-Scintillas-Dynamikks at Morricab and Christoph, and throw in Haigners horns in Germany or Austria.

Scintillas are the ones that really intrigue me, and I know Ked loved Christoph's setup.

My only reservation on Univs is the need for subs integration, w my Zu experience I'm actually trying to go more to Class A/AB powering a whole full range spkr w no need for subs. And also my less than stellar experience w Animas, another horn w down firing bass.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Marc

I also have a pair of Unis ;)
And Apogee Studio Grand :rolleyes:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I know you do, and Ked has been bigging them up for a while now.

A pair with appropriate subs a la Shakti would take me right to my spending limit. As I say it's rare to find anyone matching horns to dynamic subs, hence my interest in his experience.

I remain intrigued by audiophiles who have multiple alternative presentations. From Tang and Christian w multiple tts and multiple multiple carts, to you and your running of horns and ribbons.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Marc

I also have a pair of Unis ;)
And Apogee Studio Grand :rolleyes:

Not only those...

We should setup your Tone Scouts again give them another try in a more suitable room.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: dctom

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Not only those...

We should setup your Tone Scouts again give them another try in a more suitable room.

Everything is possible :b
But those are Air Scouts

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Everything is possible :b
But those are Air Scouts

Right you are sir!

Let’s get those puppies singing in a room with solid walls.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing