L1 question

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
VPN,
I haven't tried a sonic comparison but have my CH units on HRS nimbus footers.
Very satisfied with the result. I tried stacking my X1 unit with spikes but one of the four spikes was slightly loose and would rattle so i removed them altogether and run the units that way.
I have not tried the spikes with spike footer discs that CH now supplies with their gear.
Chris

Hello Chris, Thanks. I will see if I can try the HRS Nimbus at some point.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I don't know,
always need try and every system need different setup

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi everyone. I have eight CH Precision units: M1, L1, P1, C1, D1, (3) X1s. All pieces sit on HRS SXR racks with S1 shelves. I've tried every CH piece with and without spikes. With spikes, the presentation seems more open and detailed in soundstage placement of instruments and voices. Therefore, every piece is spiked to the HRS shelves they sit on. Now, with that said, the differences I heard with and without spikes were VERY subtle and I'm not sure I could identify spiked vs not spiked in a blind test. Finally, I use the CH Precision supplied disks under every spiked component except M1. I've never tried the spikes without the disks. Hope this helps.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi everyone. I have eight CH Precision units: M1, L1, P1, C1, D1, (3) X1s. All pieces sit on HRS SXR racks with S1 shelves. I've tried every CH piece with and without spikes. With spikes, the presentation seems more open and detailed in soundstage placement of instruments and voices. Therefore, every piece is spiked to the HRS shelves they sit on. Now, with that said, the differences I heard with and without spikes were VERY subtle and I'm not sure I could identify spiked vs not spiked in a blind test. Finally, I use the CH Precision supplied disks under every spiked component except M1. I've never tried the spikes without the disks. Hope this helps.

8? Whow! I have only 3 CH Precision units :). Can you try to describe the sound signature of an all CH based system? Some seems to think it is somewhat analytical? Are you using them balanced? And one last thing; Have you tried the system with the C1 only used as a preamp/dac compared to the L1?

I am very happy with my CH units/ complete system, just curious about hearing from a person with an all CH based system. Thanks.

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
8? Whow! I have only 3 CH Precision units :). Can you try to describe the sound signature of an all CH based system? Some seems to think it is somewhat analytical? Are you using them balanced? And one last thing; Have you tried the system with the C1 only used as a preamp/dac compared to the L1?

I am very happy with my CH units/ complete system, just curious about hearing from a person with an all CH based system. Thanks.

jep123, congratulations on assembling what must be an extraordinary sounding system! I've heard great things about your speakers but have never heard them myself.

I've described the all CH Precision system as the most realistic, accurate, open, beautiful sounding system I've ever had in my listening room. I would not describe it as "analytical" as some have but we all have our listening biases and opinions. The other point I have made repeatedly is that a total CH Precision system somehow performs better than any one individual CH component in my experience. The C1/D1/X1 is one of the best sounding digital front ends I have heard but when it is used together with an L1/A1 or M1, the performance of the total system brings out further refinements in the presentation. Another point, the CH-Link connection between the C1 and D1 is critical in my opinion and the clock cards in each are equally essential to get the total performance capabilities of these components. Note: when using clock cards, you have to set the C1, D1 settings appropriately. I've always used balanced interconnects with the CH system. A close friend of mine who has dual L1s and dual P1s uses top of the line Omnia cables exclusively in his system and is very happy with the results. When I first purchased my CH system, I started with a D1/C1/A1/X1 and used the C1 as my pre-amp. The C1 has a fine sounding pre-amp built-in. Later, I added the L1/X1 to the system and the presentation opened up considerably, there was greater "foundation" in the bass. This was very easy to hear.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Thank you very much :). I use the Ch link between the C1 and D1 as well.

Yes, the Kaiser Kawero speakers are indeed special :).

JP

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have L1,P1,X1 with 2 board and M1 mono,i will buy second X1 soon

During my big experience in hifi since 1973 where i had the top of Yamamura,Audio Tekne,ANJ,Kondo,SHindo,ecc,ecc and after listening top system of my friend and all exhibition in italy and Munchen and top amp in Italy shop i can tell you that for me and for all my friends with top system,my CH system is absolutely the best.
Is open fast and dynamic,but sweet and natural,bass is deep and fast,medium is like top triode amp and high are very open and fast but sweet and power and dynamic are infinity.
After 1 and half year i have i am exciting every time i listen

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
JP
I use a full CH system and would concur with what both Ralph and Gian have noted. To me, the system is not lean or analytical. It is well-balanced with great transparency and full midtange and deep but not bloated bottom end.
Best
Chris

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have a question. Here is how my setup is. I bi-amp my system. My horns are driven by my set amps, and my direct radiating woofers are driven by my solid state amps. I need to adjust volumes of these individually. Can this be done on an L1 preamp. My current solution is a custom made passive preamp with r2r volume control like the ch preamp.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
L1 cannot adjust the volume of the output,can adjust only the volume of the input
In CH system if you biamp with 2 CH amp you can adjust the gain of the power amp

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thanks a lot! Then if one day I decide to go all CH Precision, I can do it. L1, P1, 2xA1. The 2ch A1 can be configured for bi-amp it says passive or active. I guess in passive mode, I can adjust different levels.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
If you use 2 A1 in passive way you can select the gain of A1 that is + or - 12 db starting from 0.5 db

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have an L1 stereo. I am using the internal power supply with Gobel Reference Lacorde power cord. I am planning on adding an X-1 . The X1 I will add is a single since this is what I have been told is the best sounding option not the dual X1 by the guys at CH. I wanted to start without the X1 so that I could go through the process and experience the differences as I go along. MY sound room is not finished and I hope to after it is set up then add an X-1 for my Preamp L1 and perhaps go to a C1 mono.
I know I am prejudiced since I import Gobel however I HIGHLY suggest trying the PC. with your L1
Enjoy they make great gear!!!

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
I have an L1 stereo. I am using the internal power supply with Gobel Reference Lacorde power cord. I am planning on adding an X-1 . The X1 I will add is a single since this is what I have been told is the best sounding option not the dual X1 by the guys at CH. I wanted to start without the X1 so that I could go through the process and experience the differences as I go along. MY sound room is not finished and I hope to after it is set up then add an X-1 for my Preamp L1 and perhaps go to a C1 mono.
I know I am prejudiced since I import Gobel however I HIGHLY suggest trying the PC. with your L1
Enjoy they make great gear!!!

Elliot,

I had the L1 for a few months prior to receiving the X1 and it makes a big improvement. What I heard was better bass quality, better and deeper soundstage. If you stack them, make sure you try all combinations spikes or no spikes since they make a big impact.

Regarding power cables, I have heard the L1+X1 with: (a) Echole Limited Edition, (b) Echole Omnia, (c) Kubala Realization (what I currently have now), and (d) Kubala Elation. All of them sound great (c) is better than (d), (a) better and (b). Never compared directly (a)/(b) with (c). Never tried Gobel or Master Built.

Cheers,

VPN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing