the end for the 2008; what now for Boulder phono stages?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Have you considered/auditioned the Boulder 1008? It's on my list when I'm ready to upgrade. Waiting to see what Spectral does with their phono.

Yes I view the 1008 as a strong contender. If it transpires that Boulder are developing a 2108 then a 1008 could make the perfect stepping stone, allowing me plenty of time to save the additional funds. And there is something to be said for delayed gratification :)

As to whether I have auditioned a 1008, I have another confession; I have pretty much put my whole system together without any prior auditions.
When I was working in the trade or buying at the budget end everything was auditioned, but since moving in to the high end that has been fairly impossible. it's funny how you would expect a better level of service the more you spend (and maybe in the USA you will receive it ) but in the UK the chances of demoing a boulder phono stage or pre amp are slim, and a pair of wavac 833's slim to none. this stuff just isn't on the shelf!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
do you know the price, or is that a self build, diy thingy?

it looked nice in the one picture i have seen, but that was a diy project

Heard it in Munich 2014/2015. Great set up with Thomas Mayer , pre/power & phono. DIY ? I wouldn't classify Thomas Mayer products as such . Price is variable depending on the tubes used . Definitely not as pricey as Boulder 2008. There is a used unit in eBay for about USD5000+ , 2 chassis model with separate power supply . Check it out . Read up vinylsavor.blogspot & email Thomas Mayer . Friendly guy

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Thanks for that Pradeep, really interesting comments.
Especially as my ambition is to own a pair of Wavac HE 833 's...did you ever listen to the pr-t1 pre amp, and if so may I ask you for your opinion?
Likewise the matching lcr X2 phono stage, have you heard one or is it the case that you were so impressed with the Nagra you decided to look no further?
Thank you very much for sharing the benefit of your experience Pradeep,
Gavman
Hi Gavman
I have heard the Wavac pre , the prt 1 but not in combination with my 833s. It's a superb pre but the lack of a remote is a non starter for me. I really can't think of any short comings in my CJ GAT and the 26db gain works well with the low tube output of 34db of the Nagra phono. No I haven't heard the Wavac phono but am so happy with the Nagra...
If you have your sights on a Wavac 833, I promise heaven must be like this...;);)
Not sure about your take on the ergonomics of the Nagra family, neat ,crisp and unobstrusive but yes these things can be pretty subjective
Have a great weekend
Pradeep

Last edited:

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
I don't know of anyone, including me, who got to audition a Wavac before buying. What is recommended given the price is to visit an owner which is way better than a non existent dealer demo.
Pradeep

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hi Gavman
I have heard the Wavac pre , the prt 1 but not in combination with my 833s. It's a superb pre but the lack of a remote is a non starter for me. I really can't think of any short comings in my CJ GAT and the 26db gain works well with the low tube output of 34db of the Nagra phono. No I haven't heard the Wavac phono but am so happy with the Nagra...
If you have your sights on a Wavac 833, I promise heaven must be like this...;);)
Not sure about your take on the ergonomics of the Nagra family, neat ,crisp and unobstrusive but yes these things can be pretty subjective
Have a great weekend
Pradeep

Yes I may have overstated my issue with the appearance of the Nagra, there is nothing wrong with the way it looks, I just find the Wavac pre amp to be the most beautiful thing in my home, a joy to behold, as it were. Almost as attractive as your HE 833 's, in fact ?
Thank you very much for your observations Pradeep
Best wishes gavin

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Yes I may have overstated my issue with the appearance of the Nagra, there is nothing wrong with the way it looks, I just find the Wavac pre amp to be the most beautiful thing in my home, a joy to behold, as it were. Almost as attractive as your HE 833 's, in fact ?
Thank you very much for your observations Pradeep
Best wishes gavin

Hello Infinitely , I take it you have the PRT-1 . Greetings from a fellow user , splendid piece of kit . Absolutely luv it . I too pair it with an SS amp , the Vitus . So, similar to you in terms of going tube pre to SS power . Which tubes did you end up with in the PRT ?
Cheers !

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Yes I view the 1008 as a strong contender. If it transpires that Boulder are developing a 2108 then a 1008 could make the perfect stepping stone, allowing me plenty of time to save the additional funds. And there is something to be said for delayed gratification :)

As to whether I have auditioned a 1008, I have another confession; I have pretty much put my whole system together without any prior auditions.
When I was working in the trade or buying at the budget end everything was auditioned, but since moving in to the high end that has been fairly impossible. it's funny how you would expect a better level of service the more you spend (and maybe in the USA you will receive it ) but in the UK the chances of demoing a boulder phono stage or pre amp are slim, and a pair of wavac 833's slim to none. this stuff just isn't on the shelf!

Not sure if plans have changed or if they were ever finalized, but I spoke with a Boulder rep at a 2100 series launch event last year, and he indicated that they would release a 2108 at some point. Your news seems newer than mine though, so perhaps there is no 2108 in the cards...

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hello Infinitely , I take it you have the PRT-1 . Greetings from a fellow user , splendid piece of kit . Absolutely luv it . I too pair it with an SS amp , the Vitus . So, similar to you in terms of going tube pre to SS power . Which tubes did you end up with in the PRT ?
Cheers !

So I am checking my emails last night and Mrs infinitely baffled asks why I have a funny expression.
'well there's a chap here who owns and appreciates the same gorgeous pre amp we're listening to '
'Why should that be a problem? '
'Well he has just asked what valves I settled on. And I don't bloody know
I am going to look like an amateur '

'What's a valve? '

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Not sure if plans have changed or if they were ever finalized, but I spoke with a Boulder rep at a 2100 series launch event last year, and he indicated that they would release a 2108 at some point. Your news seems newer than mine though, so perhaps there is no 2108 in the cards...

Thanks for posting Chris, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to hear. Maybe boulder are trying to do the right thing by recent 2008 customers and allowing some time to pass before moving on to the 2108? I know they had two units in stock until the summer break as I just missed out on one.
So fingers crossed that you are right!

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Cheers !

Greetings Jazzhead from amateur's corner!
May I ask where your tube rolling adventures took you, and what caused you to set off in the first place?
I lack the knowledge to embark on my own but would love to benefit from your experience?
Humble thanks
Gavman

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing