The Blues thread

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Albums, LPs, CDs, SACDs, Blu-rays (Audio/Video), DVDs (Audio/Video), Hi-Res music Downloads, Streaming, Open-Reel-to-Reels, Laser Discs, 8-tracks, cassette tapes, Speeds: 78s, 33 1/3s, 45s, 15 ips, 30 ips, ..., HD Radio, Internet Radio, World Radio, ...any source that plays the Blues is good for this thread...as long as it is Blues music...anything goes.

? It is mind boggling today where we can get our music from...it's all over. ...From hundreds of sources; starting with our own playing, between our iPods, passing through the local music hall, and up to the sky is the limit...radio waves.

You like Blues? Me too; this is it, this is the place to share, to talk about, to express your feelings and emotions about the Blues ? ... any Blues music, ...from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s.

? Before I turned into Jazz and Classical music the Blues was always inside me real strong, even when I was very young and that I didn't even discover it yet!
Can you dig it, because today it is even more prominent deed deep down in my soul...when I walk, when I dream, when I cry, when I love.

? Don't make the mistake to categorize me; it's like me trying to categorize you. ...I love all type of music; the Blues, Jazz, Classical, World, ...
It's just that this particular thread is all about the Blues.

? I know some WBF members here who also love the Blues, ...Ron among them...so here it is for you all Blues lovers.

<<<>>> "Live today as if it was the only day in life." - Bob (me) ...So much Blues so few hours in one day. :b

________

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I saw him at The Universal Amphitheater (one of the best sounding venues ever, now a Harry Potter ride) in support of this album. He brought the house down with his axe work.
When he played the tittle track, I have never to this day seen a crowd go so over the top in response to his pickin, getting the chills again typing this. The place went ape poop like nothing I have ever experienced. R.I.P. Gary Moore

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Gary Moore is an awesome Blues guitar player. I never saw him live, but got few albums of his.

Van Morrison is like a godfather to me...my music collection is large mainly because of him. :b

? ...And her too.

* Try to flush that in the audio science book. ;)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
You keep bringing up some great memories.
Saw Ms. James perform and probably had more "Fun" at that gig than just about any other. She had such a dynamic stage presence that could not be harnessed. She had quite the potty mouth but in a classy way. Her stories had you laughing from the gut, but she could be down right nasty;), in a very good way!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Her, I love her voice too (as I love Terry's voice). * She sings on few albums with Joe Bonamassa on guitar, another virtuoso Blues guitarist.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the Evans and Hart, will dig deeper into those, they sound fantastic.

I have always said I was born into the wrong time period, would have loved to be young when the blues were young.

While Joe is an amazing player, I have issues with him, don't know what they are, but I get annoyed watching him play. His riffs are second to none but cant watch his videos. I guess he just looks like a prick. Same with Ritchie Blackmore, love his music, get embarrassed for him watching him have tantrums onstage.

Although Blackmores Night is very watchable, but he is in check.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Joe (Bonamassa); I don't watch him, I listen to his guitar playing...and all the walls fall...into broken pieces. ;-)

Ritchie Blackmore; I don't think I'm familiar with him...got a music video you like...his Blues...not necessarily the guy. ;-)

""""""""""""""""""""

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^^ Didn't take long for you to post a Ronnie link ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
? I know some WBF members here who also love the Blues, ...Ron among them...so here it is for you all Blues lovers.

Didn't take long for you to post a Ronnie link ;)

I mentioned your name in my very first opening post; so we add one plus one and we have Blues. ...Ronnie, Ron, and Bob. :D
And John loves Blues too, and Van Morrison. :cool:
And Tim Loves Cassandra Wilson. ...Cool too. * The sound is great too Tim, well recorded.

* I feel in very good company here.

________

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm a big Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Stevie Ray Vaughan fan, plus I love when Jimi plays the blues. I also really enjoy the live sessions BB King did, and I don't need to explain Howlin' Wolf.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Big MWaters and JL Hooker fan as well. Little Walters...man, i wish they could clean those tracks up a bit...but he's the man who got me started in the blues so many years ago.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
What I also love about the Blues, is the old Delta and Mississippi Blues (African origin) where the songs are raw and about desperation and misery, just like the recordings themselves with all the flaws and imperfections from the recordings of that time...the 20s. ...To me this is "real" as real it can be.

Take the best Bluesmen today (and yesterday), and the best Blues singers...their vocals are raw, non-polished, gripping and saturated...and the harmonies of the accompanying instruments are chords that are simple yet sometimes deep in their tones (sustained guitar notes). ...Cassandra Wilson (Blues/Jazz)...check her vocals...John Lee Hooker...Buddy Guy...Ted Hawkins....Muddy Waters...Robert Johnson...

And the grooves can be deeply infecting. Some say Blues is the devil's music...I'd say it's the fire's music...the fire inside that burns deep.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I'm a big Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Stevie Ray Vaughan fan, plus I love when Jimi plays the blues. I also really enjoy the live sessions BB King did, and I don't need to explain Howlin' Wolf.

Johnny, baby, there's a great old film, circa 1972 dunno if you ever saw it, from Harley Cokliss called "Chicago Blues." It is a documentary, and while there is narrative, and some interviews, as well as some footage of urban blight, there are some spectacular performances that were done in the clubs at the time, including Muddy, Junior Wells, Buddy, J. B. Hutto and some others. Buddy's rendition of "First Time I Met the Blues" on this film is the best one I've ever heard. Dunno if your library system has it for you to borrow. I gather there is a DVD version of it. It deserves to be seen and heard.

There's also a great bio- but I can't remember which one- I'd have to dig to find it- which describes the scene where Buddy Guy first meets Muddy- and it's all about a bologna sandwich.

Did you know Joe Boyd was running tours of some the bluesmen (and women) to Europe back in the '60s? Seems like they were onto American blues before it caught fire again here, as reinterpreted by a slew of famous UK electric players a few years later. His book, White Bicycles, describes a pretty amazing life.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny, baby, there's a great old film, circa 1972 dunno if you ever saw it, from Harley Cokliss called "Chicago Blues." It is a documentary, and while there is narrative, and some interviews, as well as some footage of urban blight, there are some spectacular performances that were done in the clubs at the time, including Muddy, Junior Wells, Buddy, J. B. Hutto and some others. Buddy's rendition of "First Time I Met the Blues" on this film is the best one I've ever heard. Dunno if your library system has it for you to borrow. I gather there is a DVD version of it. It deserves to be seen and heard.

There's also a great bio- but I can't remember which one- I'd have to dig to find it- which describes the scene where Buddy Guy first meets Muddy- and it's all about a bologna sandwich.

Did you know Joe Boyd was running tours of some the bluesmen (and women) to Europe back in the '60s? Seems like they were onto American blues before it caught fire again here, as reinterpreted by a slew of famous UK electric players a few years later. His book, White Bicycles, describes a pretty amazing life.

Hi Bill! I never did see that, but a search reveals it's available on the Tube and Amazon has the DVD. Nice! :) Our cousins overseas loved those blues pioneers (jazz too) and it's simply amazing how much influence they had in the development of our early 60's rock bands. Oh, and White Bicycles is also availbale on Amazon. Looks like my shopping cart got filled a little more. Thanks so much for those recommendations. :D

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Nice! A blues thread. I've got hundreds of blues albums that I've enjoyed over many years. This thread has inspired me to put on a Blind Pig/Ripple Records vinyl release of "Drinkin' TNT 'N' Smokin' Dynamite", featuring Buddy Guy and Junior Wells with Bill Wyman, Pinetop Perkins, Terry Taylor and Dallas Taylor. This album was recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1974 and is a favorite of mine.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I finally picked this up a few weeks ago. Really nice pressing too.

Muddy Waters & Rolling Stones - Checkerboard Lounge.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing