Graham Phantom Elite Set-up Questions

kroslos

Feb 7, 2015
Naperivlle, IL
I just received my new Phantom Elite tonearm (9") yesterday and I have a few questions for others who may have the same tonearm. I upgraded from an older Graham (1.5tc), and while the set-up of my old arm is similar to the Elite, there are differences AND the Elite comes with a manual for the Phantom B-44; so it wasn't a lot of help.

First question - on the 1.5tc, the spindle to pivot distance could be finely adjusted using a thumbscrew at the rear base of the tonearm. You mount the cartridgeless armtube and place the alignment spindle adapter on the TT's spindle and then adjust the thumbscrew until the hole in the headshell is aligned into the spindle adapter. No such method on the Elite. The Alignment Spindle Adapter is still part of the setup, however, you have to move the entire arm assembly on the armboard manually and then tighten it down with the four allen screws once you have it aligned. And when you tighten things down, the alignment shifts slightly and I lose the nice, pre-tightened, fit that I had previously with the spindle adapter and the hole in my headshell. Any suggestions?

Second question... what's the pivot to spindle distance for the 9" arm? If I'm off using the other alignment tools Graham supplies with the arm, I'd like to double check it with my protractor.

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing