A praising short review on Kronos Pro turntable

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
The Kronos may be the best turntable in the world. I have no idea, as I have not heard it in a controlled audition.

But I do know that Peter Breuninger's Kronos review is logically flawed and intellectually dishonest. Please see post #222 at http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18367-Introspection-and-hyperbole-control/page23

The review is a big joke comparing 3 TT based on memories & other people systems . I have heard the Kronos Pro . It's great for its price point & it certainly didn't whack the AFO. Good but certainly not better . Well I m keeping my AFO

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
To quote the review , " Now we’re talking a turntable that will turn your records into reel-to-reel tapes. It will do that.”

I dare to challenge that it's no where near my Studer A80 with stock electronic costing euro 5k+ & connected to my cheapest 5m XLR cables connected to XLR -Lemo adapters. If it's even near to it , I will buy the Kronos Pro at full retail price . Such review do more harm to the brand than to promote it

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As guys on this forum will know, I've been seriously considering getting into 15ips tape, and of course I've been aware of the stellar, transcendental SQ touted for tape. I have no reason to disbelieve. It seems as pointless to say the Kronos turns lp replay into tape replay as it does to say the current king of analogue feel DACs, the GG, turns dsd into vinyl.
The difference between great lp and tape, is probably of an order similar to the difference btwn the best digital and lp.
Let's just be happy w/stellar playback on the GG, on the best tts, and on the best tape machines, and not mix the picture.
And while we're at it re "my tt is better than that tt", my $7k Trans Fi Salvation tt and Terminator T3Pro arm, has the measure of the 4x pricier SME 20/V and TW Acustic AC3/Graham.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I agree that it's impossible to compare turntables without having them both in your system (preferably at the same time). I have no idea which turntable mentioned here is the best and will never know for this reason.

I'm sure none of them sounds as good as tape but that each one sounds great.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
To quote the review , " Now we’re talking a turntable that will turn your records into reel-to-reel tapes. It will do that.”

I dare to challenge that it's no where near my Studer A80 with stock electronic costing euro 5k+ & connected to my cheapest 5m XLR cables connected to XLR -Lemo adapters. If it's even near to it , I will buy the Kronos Pro at full retail price . Such review do more harm to the brand than to promote it
Song
You make an interesting point. Incidentally, in the context of your system how does R2R compare with the AFO ? One of my regrets is that I never got around to listening to your R2R when I came visiting
Cheers
Pradeep

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Song
You make an interesting point. Incidentally, in the context of your system how does R2R compare with the AFO ? One of my regrets is that I never got around to listening to your R2R when I came visiting
Cheers
Pradeep

Christian/Rockitman claims his modded RS Technics 1500 has the beating of his AFO.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Christian/Rockitman claims his modded RS Technics 1500 has the beating of his AFO.
Spirit
Thanks. Even if it's a close call it's good enough for me given the huge difference in software costs :b
Pradeep

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Song
Cheers
Pradeep

You are welcome to visit if you around the area. Upgraded my Vitus masterpiece stereo to Vitus Masterpiece Mono. Was using A810 when you dropped by . Upgraded to Studer A80
AFS + Axiom tonearm + Koetsu coral stone platinum + Vitus masterpiece phono is no where near my studer A80 with stock electronic & my cheapest 5m XLR cable with Lemo/Xlr adapter costing probably 5% of my analog set up. Comparing original Patricia barber Premonition LP & reel to reel Patricia Barber from Premonition , the analog sounded broken . I m not sure any analog set up can compete with Studer A80 with external preamp

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
You are welcome to visit if you around the area. Upgraded my Vitus masterpiece stereo to Vitus Masterpiece Mono. Was using A810 when you dropped by . Upgraded to Studer A80
AFS + Axiom tonearm + Koetsu coral stone platinum + Vitus masterpiece phono is no where near my studer A80 with stock electronic & my cheapest 5m XLR cable with Lemo/Xlr adapter costing probably 5% of my analog set up. Comparing original Patricia barber Premonition LP & reel to reel Patricia Barber from Premonition , the analog sounded broken . I m not sure any analog set up can compete with Studer A80 with external preamp

Wow. I can't imagine the AFO sounding broken. I was very fortunate to hear Rockitman's system once. His tape is supposedly very good though I do not know the specifics. I remember his analog sounding excellent and in comparison to his tape set up, it did not sound to me to be anything close to broken. In fact, the two times that I have heard R2R directly compared to analog, it sounded about the same in one system, and actually worse than the analog in another system. I was surprised after reading so many glowing reports about the sound of R2R being vastly superior to everything else.

I would some day love to directly compare a direct to disk 45 RPM LP of the same song to a tape. In Christian's system, I did bring a direct to disk 45 of a solo piano and it sounded tremendous. The tapes were of different music.

I do find the comment in the review of the Kronos that this turntable makes all LPs sound like master tapes, or something like that, a bit over the top. Christian's AFO, arm and cartridge analog front end is the quietest vinyl reproduction that I have ever heard. And I did not hear tape hiss.

Perhaps someone can do a Studer A80/Kronos Pro comparison.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Peter , when I said the AFO sounded broken it's just a fig of speech in comparison to R2R. In doing comparison , the quality of the LP/Tape is important & to me , with both original Patricia barber Cafe Blue LP & R2R it's no comparison . Not even near & I don't think I have an inferior analog set up and I have demoed it many times to some of my friends . Even Dato Danon of Analog Fellowship FB group, who is highly praised for his analog rig admitted nothing come near to my Studer A80 , not his Kronos pro , not his AFO & not his Clearaudio Statement singing thru Gryphon Pendragon
By itself I m pretty happy with my analog set up & in fact , that's my " go to " set up if I want to enjoy music . R2R tapes are just too pricey

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter , when I said the AFO sounded broken it's just a fig of speech in comparison to R2R.

Oh, I understood it as such and used it in the same sense. I know you did not mean that it was literally broken, as if it could not hold proper speed or had some audible rattle.

Just the other day, one guy said of my friend's phono that another phono amp would make his sound "broken". Myles Astor wrote that hearing the Magico S7 at teh factory made his S5 in his system sound broken. Yes, it is a figure of speech which I think just conveys a wide gap in sound quality between two components.

I've been meaning to do a test the next time I listen to my friend's Kronos Pro. I would like to see if I can hear a difference in sound quality if I remove the belt from the lower platter preventing it from spinning. That is, after all, the main design feature of Kronos turntables. I'm sure this test could be controlled by one person so the other who is listening would not know if both platters are spinning or not. That would be interesting.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
In comparison , I think I still prefer AFO . However bear in mind Kronos pro cost less than 1/2 price in USA

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
It never ceases to amaze me how much can be done to improve the LP12.
Bamboo plinths are said to make a big improvement .

For a table that was based on the engineering concept of the original AR table(costing about $100.00)in it's day,it's come a long way from it's humble beginnings.
But it's still based on that original design concept.

The Kronos is a new design concept as far as I know.

Who knows how many upgrades there will be down the road for it.
The point is things change as technology changes.

Pretty soon you run out of ideas and have to come up with something entirely new.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
It never ceases to amaze me how much can be done to improve the LP12.
Bamboo plinths are said to make a big improvement .

For a table that was based on the engineering concept of the original AR table(costing about $100.00)in it's day,it's come a long way from it's humble beginnings.
But it's still based on that original design concept.

The Kronos is a new design concept as far as I know.

Who knows how many upgrades there will be down the road for it.
The point is things change as technology changes.

Pretty soon you run out of ideas and have to come up with something entirely new.

IMO, the fact that the Linn has managed to get where it is currently, is a testament to its original engineering concept. Too many times in this hobby, we assume that the latest technology is the greatest. IME, that is not always correct.
As to the Booplinth (the name of the bamboo plinth you are referencing), I have not heard it, but then again, I am very open to be it being a nice upgrade. As I said before, IF you haven't heard the latest upgraded version of
the LP12, then you really have not heard what the table can do.

number95

May 14, 2014
That reads like something a forum member would write because he got a good deal on a particular component. After commenting on how great it made the piano notes sound, why not then try to describe how those same piano notes sound on the TechDas, which is sitting right next to it. Sure the cartridge and tonearm are different, but there is an implication that the counterrotating platters of the Kronos are able to present the music in a better way than other designs.

There should be more comparative audio reviews. They would tell us much more than what we usually learn from reviews like this one. What a missed opportunity.

It seems he did it.

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2015/12/kronos-pro-limited-production-turntable.html

There is now a new WTB forum thread over his recent and more detailed review.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing