What do you get from audio shows?

Fidach Lad

Jun 24, 2015
Fidach
When I started to get highly interested in recorded music, going to shows was a positive experience for me. It helped me to get started and pointed me toward my earliest purchases over several years - a new entry-level SS integrated amplifier, followed by a somewhat better set of SS monoblocks and hybrid preamp from the same mfr, and later on a tube headphone amplifier and a pair of LS3/5As. Shows later turned me onto tube PP and finally to SET systems. I started in the '90s, but by about 2005, I was finished with shows. It became harder and harder to find anything I liked. I found the room culture to be bizarre, the mfrs and dealers mind-numbing, and the music generally awful. In the end, i spent an entire day in two rooms, virtually and gratefully alone, listening to music with the exhibitors. I've never gone to a show, since.

But a lot of people are enthralled by audio shows. I just wonder, why?

When I started to get highly interested in recorded music, going to shows was a positive experience for me. It helped me to get started and pointed me toward my earliest purchases over several years - a new entry-level SS integrated amplifier, followed by a somewhat better set of SS monoblocks and hybrid preamp from the same mfr, and later on a tube headphone amplifier and a pair of LS3/5As. Shows later turned me onto tube PP and finally to SET systems. I started in the '90s, but by about 2005, I was finished with shows. It became harder and harder to find anything I liked. I found the room culture to be bizarre, the mfrs and dealers mind-numbing, and the music generally awful. In the end, i spent an entire day in two rooms, virtually and gratefully alone, listening to music with the exhibitors. I've never gone to a show, since.

But a lot of people are enthralled by audio shows. I just wonder, why?

Why, for me catching up with old acquaintances, looking at new gear, establishing a few new friendships and just getting out of the house.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Free carry Totes. I'm always running out of them.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I go to see equipment in one place to see if I have an interest in upgrading what I already have. I generally don't. It is fun to see what is new and to see really high priced gear to see if it is what it is cracked up to be. I also get to see old friends in the hobby both manufacturers, record company people and audiophiles.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I enjoy the most the opportunity to talk to chief designers and company principals. I also find great demo music. And coming back and sharing my experience at the show with you all :).

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm not sure. I've gone the last four out of five years, always interested in what's new that I might have to buy to make my system better. Now, I'm not sure I'm going this year. The only thing I need to address is some kind of base to drain any spurious energy from my mass loaded turntable. Other than that and some fine tuning on my listening room acoustics, I'm a happy camper with the system. So, if I go it will be as part of a road trip to include other places.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Fidach Lad and good evening to you sir. Welcome to our forum if I haven't said so before. ;)

What I get from audio shows is a chance to listen to something I may not have heard before. A chance to hear something that may possibly be better than what I currently have. A chance to hear something that I may want to spend some time on researching, listening to in a different rig(s) or even in my own system. I personally do not rely on reviews, except for a select few I personally know and trust when it comes to audio (none of which are reviewers). My ears lead the way with my system and if I don't hear it? Well, I don't know. Going to shows or audio events gets my ear on.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing