Ripping vinyl

Philtax

Jun 22, 2015
Anyone ripping his or her vinyl albums to digital? If so, what hardware / software combination are you using? I have an iMac so I can't install a sound card, need something external. Can't plug an analog source directly into the new iMacs.

Phil

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
First, what is your budget?
For something full featured, get something like Sony Soundforge and a Lynx Hilo to go from your phono pre.
For bare bones, use Pure Vinyl and an inexpensive USB A/D converter.

I use Pyramix and Merging Horus from a Doshi phono pre at DSD256fs

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I think you would be better off spending the money on the same music in a digital format. You will have to spend a lot of money to end up with something better.

Philtax

Jun 22, 2015
I think you would be better off spending the money on the same music in a digital format. You will have to spend a lot of money to end up with something better.

Hi Dminches,

You could be right but I've got a pretty large record collection and I'm not quite ready to give up without starting...

Phil

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hi Dminches,

You could be right but I've got a pretty large record collection and I'm not quite ready to give up without starting...

Phil

I assume you still have a nice turntable and phono pre? If so, I would then get a digital recorder, like a Korg MR-1000. You can record a bunch of albums at a time to the internal hard drive and then do the work flow to create lossless files.

Philtax

Jun 22, 2015
I assume you still have a nice turntable and phono pre? If so, I would then get a digital recorder, like a Korg MR-1000. You can record a bunch of albums at a time to the internal hard drive and then do the work flow to create lossless files.

Thanks Dminches - looks like the Korg is no longer made, but there are others out there such as this one - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891608-REG/Tascam_HD_P2_Portable_Stereo_CF.html

Do you have any experience using them for this purpose?

Phil

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I do. I do a lot of analog to digital transfers, both from cassette, reel and vinyl.

Feel free to PM me for questions.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've used the Korg quite a bit too, and it's fairly simple and straightforward, and at DSD128, the results were incredible. It's very rewarding to replicate great sounding vinyl, and be able to access them with the convenience of good digital.

There's a desktop version of that Tascam that's supposed to be pretty good. IIRC, there's even a thread here on WBF about it...

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I've used the Korg quite a bit too, and it's fairly simple and straightforward, and at DSD128, the results were incredible.

+1

I generally down sample to 24/192 but the results are similarly great. I have done a good number of 15 ips 2 track reel transfers for friends.

Philtax

Jun 22, 2015
Thanks for the comments - Someone I respect also recommended the Apogee Duet for this purpose. Apogee has a Youtube video showing how to do it. Is it generally better to record on a separate device rather than using thttp://www.whatsbestforum.com/newreply.php?p=329893&noquote=1he computer itself?

Phil

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Alesis ML-9600 Masterlink CD Recorder, records to hard disc, burns to Redbook (16/44) or CD24 (96/24) formats self contained.

They can be picked up used as low as $250 on ebay. I have heard vinyl CDs recorded with these, and they sound great, are very versatile, allow normalization etc. Just hook it up to the analog outputs from your phono preamp.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing