Reasonably Priced Cappuccino Maker

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
My wife loves an occasional Cappuccino. We have a separate "milk foamer" at home but it is a VERY poor excuse for the real thing. Her birthday is coming up.

Given it would only get occasional usage, I'm not interested in spending may thousands of dollars.

Any recommendations? (We don't really drink Espresso if that matters).

Thanks.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I have seen them in stores for anywhere from $300 to $9000.

What is "reasonable?"

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If you don't make espresso often enough to be skilled at it, consider something like a Nespresso machine, such as the Pixie (under $200 usually)

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
We have a Rancilio Sylvia -- about $600. For the amount it's used, more than enough. Very solid construction, good internals which yield good pressure. Made in Italy. Not an automatic btw.

It's a popular, classic model that you can read alot about online. I think it's often considered by the coffee cognoscenti to be the minimum you can spend for a 'real' machine. The coffee is excellent. The companion grinder is very good too -- never clogs like some other machines we've had.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
My wife loves an occasional Cappuccino. We have a separate "milk foamer" at home but it is a VERY poor excuse for the real thing. Her birthday is coming up.

Given it would only get occasional usage, I'm not interested in spending may thousands of dollars.

Any recommendations? (We don't really drink Espresso if that matters).

Thanks.

I 2nd rbbert's recommendation. All super espresso, semi-pro and pro machines work best when used regularly. There's also a certain amount maintenance and cleaning involved with these machines wether you use them or not. "The real thing" as you put it needs skill and a machine capable of high heat and pressure, as things are today you can't get "the real thing" at a push of a button! You might as well stick with a separate easy to use and clean frother like the Nespresso Aeroccino and a basic Nespresso coffee machine, you'll have to spend lot more to see any real advantage over this setup.
[h=1][/h]david

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Will just say the the Rancilio is virtually no maintenance and achieves high pressure. It's a legit machine but of course requires more than a button push. IMO, better results than the neopresso I've had in various offices.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Will just say the the Rancilio is virtually no maintenance and achieves high pressure. It's a legit machine but of course requires more than a button push. IMO, better results than the neopresso I've had in various offices.

Its a great manual machine if you use it regularly and have some barista skills. You also need a separate grinder and understanding of grinding, Silvia's picky about that, you don't just get a good brew with any old grind and there's so much to clean for only an occasional cup. You can't leave the water sitting idle for days either. You have to know what you're doing to get a good froth manually otherwise you'll end up with the soap suds you get from usual ignorant untrained Starbucks' staff!

david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
yeah, but your stuck with their coffee choices they put in their coffee pods.
They've got an awful lot of them, though. The thing is it takes practice and consistency to grind and properly pack coffee for a non-automated espresso maker, and if you aren't doing it on a regular basis it's hard to do well IME. More than that, remember that espresso is "the great equalizer"; most of the world's best coffee growers and roasters don't recommend you use their best beans for espresso (i.e. it's a waste of the beans' best qualities).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
They've got an awful lot of them, though. The thing is it takes practice and consistency to grind and properly pack coffee for a non-automated espresso maker, and if you aren't doing it on a regular basis it's hard to do well IME. More than that, remember that espresso is "the great equalizer"; most of the world's best coffee growers and roasters don't recommend you use their best beans for espresso (i.e. it's a waste of the beans' best qualities).

What about the automatic self grinding espresso machines ?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

There are some really excellent super automatic machines but they're overkill for OP's needs. They still need you to set up the grinding parameters for your preferred needs, which takes time and experimentation. For the occasional user you still need to waste more water to fill up the water tank and then throw it away, leave more coffee beans than needed in the grinder and they will go stale. You still have to descale them and flush the system more often that if they're being used all day long. As far as the frothing part goes, none of the ones I've looked at or owned do a great job at it, acceptable at best. Plus they need a fair bit of milk, a waste again for the occasional cappuccino. The beauty of Nespresso is in its simplicity. Its designed for single use, just add a little filtered water to the small container and a single pod, no waste. The same is true for their frother, it works with just enough milk for a single cup, no waste. While maybe not up to the best espresso brewed by an experienced barista on a manual machine its still an excellent brew and far beyond the capabilities of most, including waiters at some famous NY Italian restaurants! I was a skeptic too but they have a wide range of coffees to satisfy most of us and their top range is really very good. Let's face it Christian, our choice of quality espresso beans in North America is pretty limited, most of it, even from a couple of known brands is stuff they'd flush down the toilet in Italy!

david

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Fair question. Less than $1000. That said, what does a $9000 unit do that a $500 unit won't do?

I don't know, I'm a regular strong brew American coffee guy!

What does a $20,000 preamp do that a $2000 preamp won't do? :p :p :p

It's all in the details and build quality.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Sure, but then you're spending a lot more money; I was offering an inexpensive reasonable alternative for occasional use. If you're willing to spend enough money you'll get great espresso regardless of skill or interest.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
As I looked at some of the recommended choices I felt like I was researching new amps. Some of the aesthetics and form of these products make me drool. Chrome and knobs and dials! It is difficult to control myself.

Thanks to each person who made recommendations. This is ( not surprisingly) going to be more complex than I hoped!!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Try to taste samples in the stores, although your water may taste different that the store's..

koty1956

Oct 17, 2018
I am considering buying a Jura Z7 or J90. Any recommendations on which is a better choice. Thank you in advance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing