Active Speakers

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Why aren´t active speaker fans commenting this perfect speaker? : :confused:

*500W bass balanced , lateral acting opposed-piston sub woofer , closed box, with phase and safe operating area corrected dynamically
*three way active
*low diffraction spherical enclosure form
*wirelessly connected and controlled streaming music box

*inexpensive

I don't know. What is it?

Tim

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The active speakers I have had here have been awesome, top of the line Genelec 8260a's with their matching 7027 subs, DRC software includes, perfect integration between mains and subs, they were followed by the Grimm LS1's active again,DSP crossovers
again perfect sub integration, DSP to correct phase and driver anomalies ,and they excited the room far less than the Gens,
the LS1's are also far more convenient for the domestic user, proper remote, async USB, built in dac and A/D.
Next month the new Kii THREE arrives, cardiod bass, small form factor, full range and inexpensive, Audio just declared them the best measuring loudspeaker in their thirty year history, exciting stuff.
Keith.
Keith,

You rep Kii…arent the supposed to be beetter than the Grimms?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Haven't heard them. They're perfect how?

Not perfect at all, but a lot of fun.

Here is what I said after my demo of the Silver Phantoms at another forum:
I finally got to hear them. A single White on Friday and a stereo pair of Silvers yesterday and I must say…they are FUN!

If not audiophile obsessed, a pair of Silvers could be endgame. Yes, they lack ultimate resolution in mids and upper mids… but the HF was pretty good and the bass can be a bit fat/exaggerated, but overall they work very well and can ROCK. Perfect party speakers too and they scale up nicely to 32 units playing in concert with each other. They passed the "cricket test" with Chris Jones-Roadhouses cut and were lovely with Thriller and Keith Dont Go. Rosanna's guitar rift was also very pleasing, but lacked that extra resolution of the "unfair to compare to" Goldmund Anatta (where you could hear the performers murmuring to each other).

All in all for CHF4K for a pair of Silver, I found it extremely competitive for the price and tempting in its simplicity. Easy to love…and I was prepared to not like them as much as I did. As a 2nd system…(or 2nd home) like in a Lake Cabin or a Chalet… it's a no-brainer. Sonos on steroids.

What I would expect to see soon is that swanky bars and clubs will adopt them as near turnkey scalable solutions, given that they are easily wall mounted with a dedicated optional bracket.

The Silver weighed more than I thought just looking at them and ran a bit hot at the back vents. Me Likey!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I posted a PDF of the Kii THREE review, in the 'advancing the state of the art ' thread ( speakers).
It is in German ,I will post the English versions soon as I have it.
Keith.

Thank you. I know you are eagerly awiting their arrival. The German review is raving about them.
So we have 4 in the full wireless game now (only needing computer and speaker box) at very different price points, high/medium/low for Goldmund/Kii/Dev Phantom-Dynaudio Xeos. I cant recall if the Linn Xact is also wireless.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The Devialet Phantom from France.

Are these even active? I just scanned their white paper and specs, and found no mention of multiple power amplifiers per unit. If there are not separate amps for each driver and an active crossover between them, they are not active speakers, they are powered speakers with a single amp and a passive crossover.

They may be a great accomplishment in their own right, but they have none of the core advantages of active design.

Tim

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Wisnon Hi, what does the review say, ( forgive my ignorance of the German language) the figures allotted in the summary appear pretty impressive.
To answer your earlier question Chris of Kii says they are better than the LS1's and he is familiar with the Grimms as he used to work for them!
But as the CEO of Kii he would say that wouldn't he!
KR Keith.

Keith, My German is weak as well, but here is the discussion about the review by German speakers like Hans:
http://audioshark.org/speakers-10/kii-audio-three-7561.html

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sorry to repeat myself, but can anyone answer the question are the Devielet speakers active. I could find no mention of separate amps for each driver or electronic crossovers on their web site or white paper.

Tim

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Sorry to repeat myself, but can anyone answer the question are the Devielet speakers active. I could find no mention of separate amps for each driver or electronic crossovers on their web site or white paper.

Tim

Tim,

Martin Colloms reported that the Pahntoms are three way filtered active speakers in his blog when writing his review. The internal photos of the Phantom do not show any passive filtering components, just SMD boards. This link (sorry in French) reports four ADH amplifiers per Phantom. http://www.cnetfrance.fr/produits/devialet-phantom-39811439.htm

Advanced Google can do wonders in two minutes!

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Tim,

Martin Colloms reported that the Pahntoms are three way filtered active speakers in his blog when writing his review. The internal photos of the Phantom do not show any passive filtering components, just SMD boards. This link (sorry in French) reports four ADH amplifiers per Phantom. http://www.cnetfrance.fr/produits/devialet-phantom-39811439.htm

Advanced Google can do wonders in two minutes!

From what I can gather, there are 8 mono ADH amplifiers per Phantom, but they're bridged, one for each of the four drivers (two bass drivers, one co-axial midrange/tweeter). The SAM module takes care of crossover points/slopes and driver optimisation in the digital domain.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing