Shishito Peppers anyone?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you have not heard of Shishito pepper, you are missing one great appetizer! These are Japanese peppers with essentially no heat but lots of great flavor. I usually get it in Japanese restaurants where it is grilled with salt and some lemon juice. Out of desperation on a day when I did not feel like getting the outdoor grill going, I just fried them in Olive oil. Could not believe how good they came out, essentially matching the flavors of it in the restaurant:

Cooking could not be easier. I put a non-stick skillet on the stove and pour in random amount of olive oil in there (maybe 2 tablespoons). I let it get near smoking temp and dump the peppers in there. Make sure they are all touching the skillet and not on top of each other. Let them sit there on high heat for a minute and they instantly char. Just rotate them or stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes until mostly charged and they feel soft (initially they are quite firm). Take them off the stove, put them in a bowl and sprinkle with your favorite quality sea salt. And then squeeze lime or lemon to taste. That's it!

I tell you these things are addictive because they have a trick up their sleeve. One out of seven peppers genetically is flawed and will be "hot." Now when I say "hot," I don't mean crazy hot. But hot enough that you want to keep eating them as to get rid of the burning sensation in your mouth. In the above batch, none were hot until I got to the one before last. And wouldn't you know it, the last one was hot too! What are the odds of that?

If you have not had these, suggest getting them as an appetizer in your favorite restaurant or if you have a Japanese grocery store, pick up a pound or two and cook them per above. In 3 minutes you will have a super tasty appetizer.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for that Amir! Have never heard of Shishito Peppers before, but your post has me salivating to try some.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
shiSHITso...I see how they got their name. The next morning be sure and have Popsicles on hand during your constitutional...the ring of fire :eek:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
:D

No worries there as they are milder than mild, other than the one exception I mentioned. They are completely benign as far as bodily functions are concerned. :)

The name comes from the pointed end that is supposed to look like a lion which in Japanese is "shishi."

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Had some of these today. Family get together as it was my Bday. As a condiment/ side. Coated with evoo grilled then lightly tossed with white soy. Every now and then one had some extra fire. Wheat Naan used as a soft taco for pork butt zatar rubbed grilled and shredded, Tuscan kale, Tzadziki, tomatoes. Not bad. Negra Modelo and Smithwicks
I should add those peppers went over very well with all.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I had not thought of putting soy sauce on it. I have to try that next. I am glad everyone liked them.

FYI I grew them in greenhouse and they came out great! Bought a few plants online through amazon, planted them and a month or so later had a ton of them.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Keep in mind that white soy was used and very lightly. Has more of a very lite vinegary/fermented overtone vs a darker soy. Complimented the peppers without overpowering their typically mild flavor. Just a kiss, so one goes 'what was that' on the finish.

bplexico

Mar 28, 2011
They work well too if you toss some garlic cloves in the pan with the olive oil first. Brown the cloves then toss in the peppers.

And at the end, after they are plated, toss some feta cheese on top

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing