Changing cable connectors

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi I am assuming a lot of people change their cable connectors to furutech, oyaide, etc.

Do these mods, if done outside the factory, lead to a drop in the price of the cable (even as compared to used market prices)?

TA

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
My guess would be that the vast majority in this forum don't change cable connectors. The assumption being the cable connectors included with the cables are of high quality already. Also, I would think that changing the connector on, for example a Purist Audio Design power cable might not yield better sonic results and would adversely affect the resale value.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My guess would be that the vast majority in this forum don't change cable connectors. The assumption being the cable connectors included with the cables are of high quality already. Also, I would think that changing the connector on, for example a Purist Audio Design power cable might not yield better sonic results and would adversely affect the resale value.
+1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So people here don't replace high end cable plugs and IEC with Furutech or Oyaide?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I know my JPS Labs Aluminata speaker cables use gold WBT locking bananas which are supposed to be quite good. They lock onto the speaker terminals with quite an authoritative grip. OTOH, I upgraded the internals of my Usher BE20Ds which included replacing the heavy duty Usher speaker terminals with Electra tube connectors. One benefit is that it brings the external connection within .045 of the external speaker cable connector. It's reported to be a sonic benefit; I've never A/B'd to state as such though.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I replaced IEC connectors in one of my PC . Precisely I ordered such a change with a local oyaide dealer. The cord is Transparent reference mm link first generation and connectors are top oyaide f1/m1 e . I use this cord for the amplifier and consider this as a valuable upgrade. To my knowlegde the standard connectors were rather cheap wattgate and oyaide improved all sonic aspects.
The other upgrade recommended by Vovox dealer were VDH connectors for my bi- wire Vovox Textura SC, also pleased with that.
I agree with sbo6 though that such a replacement is a risky business and I would not recommend changing connectors with very expensive models .IMO it make sens only if a dealer or fellow audiophile advise that and the cables are not SOTA models.

Bulldogger

Apr 20, 2010
Clinton,MS
Hi I am assuming a lot of people change their cable connectors to furutech, oyaide, etc.

Do these mods, if done outside the factory, lead to a drop in the price of the cable (even as compared to used market prices)?

TA
Usually the connectors even on high-end cables can be upgraded. When I have sold cables with upgraded connectors, it did not lead to a drop in the price but I did not recover the price of the connector. Basically the connectors added no value but did not diminish the price. I hear a bigger improvement with better connectors than I have heard with changing the cables themselves.

Reactions: mem916

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing