Leica Leitz Park Wetzlar, Germany

McLennan

May 19, 2015
Frankfurt/Germany
Hi all,

last Friday I got my new car, a BMW 520. As a first short trip, my wife and I drove to the rather new Leica factory in Wetzlar, only a short trip from our home, about 50 minutes on a german autobahn with hardly any speed limit.

As Leica cameras are Highend as much as audio HighEnd, you've take them for maintenance once in a while. So I took my Leica M9P and two of my wide angle primes for adjustment along.

Leits Park was opened a year ago and houses the factory, a museum with a permanent exhibition of all Leica cameras and also changing exhibitions of famous photographers, this time, Lenny Kravitz (I like his songs more than his photos of fans and paparazzi)

During the week you can also have look inside the factory. In the spacious shop one can spend as much money as in every High-End Audio shop.

Some of the pictures i took with my second camera, a Nikon D750:

My new BMW in front of the Leitz Park:

Leitz park, main buildings:

The buildings resemble two lenses or a binocular, good architecture from Gruber Kleine Kraneburg Architects, Frankfurt

Camera exhibition:

firtst Leica:

wall of fame:

famous moment, taken with a Leica (sorry for the glass reflection)

museum entrance:

I also had the chance to test their new Leica Q, 24MP full frame sensor with a fixed 1.7/28mm summilux autofocus lens, designed as the Leica M, but slightly smaller, a really marvellous camera at only 4.000€ (some of here in this forum buy cables at this price point..)

But I'll stick with my manual focus M9-P, I really love this camera and the prime lenses

Jan

richard

Jul 2, 2011
Charleston, SC
Buffaloe trace L1001203 WP.jpg Thanks for posting, I would love to visit Leica HQ one day. I also have an M9-P, for some reason I have no desire to replace it with the new M240. I suspect the M9 / M9-P may forever remain the closest we ever get to the "film experience" with a digital camera.

Taken yesterday with M9 / 35 1.4 Summilux FLE at Buffalo Trace, KY, oldest continuously running distillery in United States.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm only 60 years behind you... still using an M2. I'd like a Monochrom.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Good stuff, great cameras, skillful people...good life...in memories.

* The world is like a forest; roots grow underground and take shape.

** Nice photograph...post #3

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I love my Leica's.

I've got the M240 and the Monochrome (1st one)......and few primes. 28 f2 Cron, 35 f1.4 FLE, 50 f0.95 Noct, 50 f2 Apo, 50 f2 Cron, and the 90 f2.8 Elmarit.

Ok I'm envious now. I'm still using a chrome (brass) Canon 1.8 LTM (a lot better than you'd think). I only shoot B&W though. Before the M2 it was a LTM III, 1938 or so.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I also have a Nikon D750 which I love but I auditioned a Leica Q at the Soho Leica store and really liked it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing