Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I never had kids so I couldn't ever find out what a lousy parenting job I'd do. So I put all my supportive emotional energy into hifi. I figured, what could go wrong, what's the worst that could happen? Lol

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I never had kids so I couldn't ever find out what a lousy parenting job I'd do. So I put all my supportive emotional energy into hifi. I figured, what could go wrong, what's the worst that could happen? Lol

your system seems very well fed and dare I say a bit spoiled.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ah, well that's just it. Lavish the system, but not always get 100% love back. So spend some more. But then find the kids/components ARE behaving, and ARE passing their exams/making great music across genres, and ARE making me proud/rewarding my investment. Now I spend less, and get more in return Lol.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
your system seems very well fed and dare I say a bit spoiled.
Probably a little over fed, i suspect even on the voluptuous side ! ;)

Reactions: PeterA and bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Maybe that's gonna be my system subtitle. Peter had Sublime and now Natural. I'll have Voluptuous.
Ked will have...ah, then again, maybe not Lol.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
My neighbor's kid and his guest kid threw eggs onto our roof about a year and a half ago. Since then we installed an Israeli Iron Dome battery on the roof of our house. Perhaps you should consider the same system. It's expensive, but effective.
Sorry to hear about all of this but this made me giggle out loud and wish I had thought of it years ago, would have solved a couple issues here and there! :D

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The news isn't all bad. The entryway came out pretty nice.

21704FE7-4745-4CCC-A30B-55CEE1AB41F3.jpeg

DF9263A1-2018-46F9-BD4C-D84B6A7EB733.jpeg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Beautiful!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
water damage?

i can relate.

the middle of last August my wife and i were in our backyard outside our kitchen and we noticed water running down the cedar siding shakes. it was 85 degrees and sunny. OMG what might that be?

i put my ear up to the wall and could hear a constant hissss. i then recalled we had been hearing a more quiet version of that sound in our kitchen for a few weeks and i assumed it was a normal sound......some sort of relief valve? sink? dishwasher?

our dish washer (a Meile) countertops and upper cupboards were right in that same area on the inside. the wall was wet and warm. i pulled out a drawer and could see the 'warm' moisture in the back of the drawer. not good. called a plumber. then our insurance company.

fast forward to today.

it's been close to a $120k repair. and 10 months (glacial progress with COVID) of using our laundry room for a Kitchen, the Sauna for storage, and the den for our dining room. tore off half of our kitchen cabinets, stripped the wall to the studds, removed the countertop and backsplash. needed a complete main flooring replacement (radiant floor heat) as it could not be matched (5200 sqft home.....lots of hardwood). lots of work under the house and even in the ceiling. replaced one third of our cabinets.

cause; in a 20 year old home........a hot water copper pipe pin hole leak not at a joint.

next week the Quartzite countertops will be installed, then a few weeks later the new floor (we will have to leave for 10 days), and then finally the backsplash will be done. the cabinets are being completely re-stained too.

my fingers are crossed it will be complete by it's 'discovery' birthday August 12th.

we were very concerned that we would be stuck paying most of the repair as the insurance company has been slow to respond. COVID? but yesterday we got a check for $107k, so that was a big relief.

the saving grace is my man-cave, my barn, has been my fortress of solitude during this thing, and the wife has been able to get all the choices of floor, countertops, faucets and such so has enjoyed that part of it. and she has shielded me from the logistical swamp of all the work.

also; we did seize the opportunity of contractor and subs being around to get $50k of some long planned on repairs done during this time. getting contractors to work for us where we live is tough as we are away from the main metro area. and the demand for their services is through the roof so the larger job helped.

Last edited:

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
water damage?

i can relate.

the middle of last August my wife and i were in our backyard outside our kitchen and we noticed water running down the cedar siding shakes. it was 85 degrees and sunny. OMG what might that be?

i put my ear up to the wall and could hear a constant hissss. i then recalled we had been hearing a more quiet version of that sound in our kitchen for a few weeks and i assumed it was a normal sound......some sort of relief valve? sink? dishwasher?

our dish washer (a Meile) countertops and upper cupboards were right in that same area on the inside. the wall was wet and warm. i pulled out a drawer and could see the 'warm' moisture in the back of the drawer. not good. called a plumber. then our insurance company.

fast forward to today.

it's been close to a $120k repair. and 10 months (glacial progress with COVID) of using our laundry room for a Kitchen, the Sauna for storage, and the den for our dining room. tore off half of our kitchen cabinets, stripped the wall to the studds, removed the countertop and backsplash. needed a complete main flooring replacement (radiant floor heat) as it could not be matched (5200 sqft home.....lots of hardwood). lots of work under the house and even in the ceiling. replaced one third of our cabinets.

cause; in a 20 year old home........a hot water copper pipe pin hole leak not at a joint.

next week the Quartzite countertops will be installed, then a few weeks later the new floor (we will have to leave for 10 days), and then finally the backsplash will be done. the cabinets are being completely re-stained too.

my fingers are crossed it will be complete by it's 'discovery' birthday August 12th.

we were very concerned that we would be stuck paying most of the repair as the insurance company has been slow to respond. COVID? but yesterday we got a check for $107k, so that was a big relief.

the saving grace is my man-cave, my barn, has been my fortress of solitude during this thing, and the wife has been able to get all the choices of floor, countertops, faucets and such so has enjoyed that part of it. and she has shielded me from the logistical swamp of all the work.

also; we did seize the opportunity of contractor and subs being around to get $50k of some long planned on repairs done during this time. getting contractors to work for us where we live is tough as we are away from the main metro area. and the demand for their services is through the roof so the larger job helped.
Oh Gosh Mike - what a terrible thing to go through, my thoughts are with you (& Ron).

Still - silver lining was the repairs done while you had a contractor. I hope you have been happy with the quality of the work. the hardest part is to find a really good builder. It sounds top drawer - first rate.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"it's been close to a $120k repair. and 10 months"

Thank God it wasn't the listening room.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
water damage?

i can relate.

fast forward to today.

So sorry you went through that Mike! I have learned the hard way that water intrusion problems are like onions -- peeling one's way to discover more problems deeper down.

I'm glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and that you were able to more conveniently make some other desired repairs along the way.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
water damage?

i can relate.

fast forward to today.

Strewth ! That is bad luck .. you assume copper is forever ... I live in fear of those flex connection they have on tap sets thes days.. gotta fail one day
Such comprehensive damage !
As you say a sparkly new interior is the benifit
Phil

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
thanks Guys.

the lessons learned are (1) to take any noises seriously when you first hear them. and (2) to continually appreciate my saintly wife for her steadfastness through this grind.

but our experience is but a pittance compared to the marathon for Ron and Tinka. that is beyond comprehension.

OTOH i suppose i should not speak too soon. we are not done. o_O

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
As I read this thread, I only thought these things type of things happen to me.

What’s interesting is the common denominator of us all being audiophiles is there’s a certain level of, well, the audiophile in all of us.

The neighbor next door, or a non-audiophile type friend usually seems not to have any issues, it’s always the people like us who are up on maintenance, buys the higher end of things and is somewhat meticulous.

It ain’t easy being us!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
:) water damage?

i can relate.

fast forward to today.

Mike, sorry to hear, but just trying to understand. In between the 130k spend and the 107k being recovered from insurance, you must have been worried. Did you buy some of the analog gear during that gap? Just trying to understand the psyche

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
It's Always the Gardener (Unless it's the Butler)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing