Windows 10 ?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Are you running version 1903, and if yes how overall satisfied are you?

I am running 1903 on a few machines. 1909 is supposed to be a very light "service pack" version neatly sorting only required updates while offering very little change from 1903.

1903 added some things that were useful, but broke more. Most were fixed in WU, by updating drivers, and installing updated versions of programs. I wouldn't want to do a fresh install from ISO without internet access.

One item I didn't like was MS requirement for Intel/AMD to remove display driver/program functionality and move it to a Windows Store app. 1903 also broke the Asus mb utility program. Not entirely satisfied to be perfectly honest.

Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I am running 1903 on a few machines. 1909 is supposed to be a very light "service pack" version neatly sorting only required updates while offering very little change from 1903.

1903 added some things that were useful, but broke more. Most were fixed in WU, by updating drivers, and installing updated versions of programs. I wouldn't want to do a fresh install from ISO without internet access.

One item I didn't like was MS requirement for Intel/AMD to remove display driver/program functionality and move it to a Windows Store app. 1903 also broke the Asus mb utility program. Not entirely satisfied to be perfectly honest.

Awesome reply, thank you.
I'm on the precipice of 1903 myself, not made the jump, yet.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Important to note numerous people have noted improved sound with 1903. Precipitating my jump to it. Your experience may differ due to hardware and especially drivers.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If there weren't so many issues with Windows 10 for the last year and more I would be on the latest version...1909...no sweat...in a heartbeat. Some people have no issues serious enough to report, others are living in a world of hurt.
I try to follow the most peaceful avenue possible. I usually succeed because I am extremely patient when the times call it for.
I'm in no rush with Microsoft Windows 10's latest updates.

Thank you again for your feedback, and to Barry and dminches.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just some of the features that will be eclipsed ... now and in the future ...
https://www.techradar.com/news/these-are-all-the-windows-10-features-microsoft-is-going-to-kill-off
_____

And few scenarios from updating with different versions ... to 1909
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...909-upgrade-and-what-you-can-do-about-it.html

And ...
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...2019-update-version-1909-from-installing.html

? Questions to dminches: I'm still running version 1809 (home), what would you recommend me to do? It's asking me whenever I'm ready I can download version 1909...would it install version 1903 automatically first? How can I download only version 1903 and what date is the limit date where it will be installed automatically if I do nothing (I think it's 365 days from the date the version 1809* came into effect)?

I know that 1903 could take few hours (2 to 3 depending, or even more).
And I also know that 1909 only takes 10 minutes to about an hour, depending.

* Edit: Windows 10 version 1809 reaches end of support on May 12, 2020.

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I've done all of the Windows 10 updates on two laptops and haven't had any of the reported issues fortunately.

I did order a new Lenovo laptop that arrived yesterday. The windows updates, including 1909, went smoothly. However, when I was doing the Lenovo updates the system crashed and would not re-boot. Sent it back for credit 2 hours after receiving it. That a Lenovo problem though, not Windows, in my mind.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Recently I went from 1809 directly to 1909; it took roughly three hours.
...Plus few additional patches few days later. All went fine without any incident.
I waited till almost the last minute, which is May 12, for version 1809.

For the last couple weeks, running ...
Release Date: February 11, 2020
Version: 1909-OS Build 18363.657 (KB4532693)

And now few updates for interested users, plus the new Windows10 Version 2004 (20H1) coming up this Spring in April ... and 20H2 coming up this Fall in October ...

Getting new icons ... available now for all ... (how to) ...

Version 2004 (20H1 - Spring) Insider Preview now for clean install ...

And 20H2 coming up this Fall ... with Live Titles going away ...

* Something else to get my mind out of the Coronavirus and the stock market ... only very briefly.
:) ...Unfortunately :(

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Recently I went from 1809 directly to 1909; it took roughly three hours.

3 hours? What are the specs for your computer? Each of these updates takes less than 10 minutes for me.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Well done Bob.
Better late than never and not too long given the backlog and your download speeds.
All my 1909 updates have have been trouble free.
Thank you for the heads up on the forthcoming updates and I will let you know how they go at the time.
Keep well.
Best
Barry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
3 hours? What are the specs for your computer? Each of these updates takes less than 10 minutes for me.

It took you only ten minutes going from 1809 to 1903? That must be incorrect.
Yes, from 1903 to 1909 it's only few minutes...roughly five to ten on average.

The version 1903, depending on your computer (laptop) can take up to couple hours, some less some more. It also depends on your internet speed. Many Windows 10 users reported roughly 45 to 60 minutes, and up to two hours for some.
From version 1809 to go to version 1909 it needs to get 1903's all updates.
So 3 hours for me from an older laptop is not abnormal; it's only an i5 with 4GB Ram (8 avail), without an SSD hard drive and quite limited CPU prowess.
Plus it took roughly an additional 30 minutes or so (perhaps less) for the latest three update patches couple days later.

This is a big one that I recently got, no small little updates and patches, and from a laptop that is inexpensive and relatively old.

If I had a more recent and decent computer (say $3,000 and above), it would have taken roughly one hour. That's pretty much what many Windows 10 users reported.
I'm talking from 1809 to 1903 or 1909. From 1903 to 1909 it's less than ten minutes, five.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Well done Bob.
Better late than never and not too long given the backlog and your download speeds.
All my 1909 updates have have been trouble free.
Thank you for the heads up on the forthcoming updates and I will let you know how they go at the time.
Keep well.
Best
Barry

I was going to delay my version 1809 till the very maximum supported date limit; May 12, 2020.
But Microsoft insisted that I upgrade to v. 1909 ... I obliged just to get rid of the multiple messages everyday. For two weeks I have zero issue. The little things I don't fret about it...I'm used to.

And yes the version 2004 is coming up this Spring, April (20H1)
And this Fall, October (20H2)

I'm in no rush (never was), I'll delay them till the very end...year 2021 and beyond ... :)
Meanwhile I'll keep an eye open right here and ask questions to the insiders who do get those newer versions as soon as they are available, for previews, for intelligent informations and manoeuvres ...

As of February 27, 2020 I'm on the latest Windows 10 version update...Home version.
Version 1909 was available back on November 12, 2019.
I was only three months late, no big deal. And I just skipped version 1903 all together which was available back in May 2019 ...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcoc...date-1903-is-coming-for-your-pc/#4aaf4b217936

Be well Barry, Spring's coming up and the flowers are already here ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Is it patch KB4540673 Barry?

Things are bad with the above and also with the previous ... KB4535996
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...nstallation-problems-upgrade-windows-10-free/

Windows 10 seems to be infested with issues since we started a new decade.
I don't report any more for the last couple weeks because I'm more concerned by Coronavirus than Microsoft Windows 10 virus.
A computer is just a machine, a human is much more precious...it has a human heart and human spirit.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Me sometimes I think Microsoft does that on purpose, to annoy and impede in their customer's right of privacy. That would be real bad if that was true ...

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/12/m...LnOueQRPePdy8HmyoB2CMsFyPRKX4Zl3Jn8YW7Obd_50M

And people still using Windows 7 are not prone to this vulnerability, bad bug!

"Earlier versions of Windows — including Windows 7, which Microsoft recently stopped providing patches for — are not affected by the vulnerability.

It’s not clear exactly what led to the inadvertent disclosure. Researchers at security firms Fortinet and Cisco released blog posts describing the vulnerability, but later removed references to the bug."

We live in a mysterious world, some days more than others.

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Is it patch KB4540673 Barry?

Things are bad with the above and also with the previous ... KB4535996
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...nstallation-problems-upgrade-windows-10-free/

Windows 10 seems to be infested with issues since we started a new decade.
I don't report any more for the last couple weeks because I'm more concerned by Coronavirus than Microsoft Windows 10 virus.
A computer is just a machine, a human is much more precious...it has a human heart and human spirit.

Hi Bob
I think so but there is also another cumulative update KB4551762 which I installed immediately afterwards

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I see now Barry...it looks quite serious.
I also experienced strange behavior recently.

I posted a Forbes link (post #196) just above yesterday; it now has an update in that link.

And this the latest .... critical
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...-update-microsoft-urges-users-to-take-action/

Everything is going sour nowadays...health, wealth, computers, hackers are having fun, jokers are aplenty, Coronavirus is classified in some quarters (meetings), people are more aggressive in other quarters, ...brief there is a lack of cleaners and controllers.
It's like the airport tower controller has been abandoned ...

We don't see that often. Keep your head solid and your heart pumping fresh air.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I see now Barry...it looks quite serious.
I also experienced strange behavior recently.

I posted a Forbes link (post #196) just above yesterday; it now has an update in that link.

And this the latest .... critical
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveyw...-update-microsoft-urges-users-to-take-action/

Everything is going sour nowadays...health, wealth, computers, hackers are having fun, jokers are aplenty, Coronavirus is classified in some quarters (meetings), people are more aggressive in other quarters, ...brief there is a lack of cleaners and controllers.
It's like the airport tower controller has been abandoned ...

We don't see that often. Keep your head solid and your heart pumping fresh air.

Thanks Bob
That's helpful and glad I posted.
Yes there is a lot of the modern world I don't like so we need to be vigilant and keep helping each other.
All well here as I hope you are and just back in the house after doing some gardening.
Best
Barry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing