Windows 10 ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Barry, do you have a secretary/voice assistant?

I had few google glitches before, now less since Windows 10 (I think Microsoft and Google Chrome they love each other), except couple days ago when it wouldn't allow me to search the Web. Google wasn't sure if I was a robot, but Microsoft Edge knew my name and that I was a real human with a spirit and soul.

Thanks for everything. Google is a funny cat sometimes, it doesn't remember your name; Bond, James Bond. :b

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Bob
I haven't really bothered with Cortana but thanks for the Youtube link which is fun.
Internet now back up and working and boy did I miss it!
Problems at Orange which they have now sorted.
Best wishes,
Barry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Glad to hear your Internet is back up Barry.
Cortana she sure needs improvement; it is not clearly explained anywhere on how to activate her for each region and chosen language.
And everything she ears is not private, so be aware. For the get-go on your phone she's like a cool apps, and for your PC and laptop many can dispense of her lack of 'imagination'.
She quickly fades into oblivion after some experimentation. Microsoft needs to improve her.

As for "forced" Windows 10, Cortana, Edge and all that jazz ...

Microsoft they know more about us than our own mother and friends. There are many videos full of settings that if you don't know about (I don't), Microsoft they do.
I asked Cortana if she was a spy, and she went into hiding behind that answer: "A circle may be infinite, but my answers are not." :b

Cheers,

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob.
Just watched the Youtube you posted. It was good.
Yes was aware of the privacy issues with Cortana but have no real need for her. The Edge browser has been good on the occasions I have used it but I mainly use Mozilla.
I think I can live with the privacy issues of Windows 10 and as the video explained it is a good OS,
Thanks for the latest photos.
Best,
Barry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Today Internet Explorer kept crashing...about ten times! ...Must have some to do with Canada Day. :b
________

And I discover a bug on windows 10 ? http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9a?msgId=496fa027-f666-4207-ad1f-90f933bb1822

* It's the small logo (Notification - Action Center) with three horizontal bars inside (bottom right corner); it had a small circle with one horizontal bar attached to it @ the bottom right corner. The fix is in the above link; the last entry, by clicking on "Quiet hours" to turn it On, then clicking again to Off.

Also, for the last week or so, No new notifications in my Action Center box. There were always some new notifications before, every day. It seems that nobody wants to notify me of anything new anymore. :(
If someone know where the setting is to get new notifications in my Action Center box, that would be cool.

Other than that I am still alive today and relaxing on Canada Day by enjoying the outdoors and the birds flying, the horses galloping, ...brief simple life living here in Canada.
...With peace, with a refreshment drink (purified alcohol, very refined), and with some cool jazz playing. My mind is sober and my body is comfortably numb.

Not much to report on the movie front; last night I simply re-watched 13 Hours - no need to mention, except for all the surrounding crap some people tried to make us believe about it. I lift my hat real high to the six heroes who fought with bravura and honor to save lives. And R.I.P. to two of them, my heart goes to their families and friends.
I highly recommend it, plus get the truth behind the lies of our leaders. This is one of the most extensive investigation ever in the US history; seven of them, and since September 11, 2012. ...Almost four years now. September 11 is not a date which the US government wants to associate with terrorism, like if they were blinded and wanted to blind us too.
Anyway, the more you learn the more you know about our leaders and possible future leaders. Is this the environment we like to live in and defend? Keep the answer secret, because there is enough news out there that don't keep it secret. Watch the film, and see how it effects you.

My Internet Explorer keeps crashing; it is quite annoying.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
IE is old school, and Edge (Windows 10) is the new kid (Microsoft's support).

You are right, I am still clinging to it (IE)...making the transition to Edge very slow.
I am using Chrome 98% of the time. But it's very true that Chrome is a battery eater.

Yesterday IE kept crashing; I think because MSN is my homepage for IE and MSN has some bad days occasionally.
Also, I was out of sync yesterday, for some reason, and my speed was reduced by five times.
I have been told that sometimes it happens and a reboot of our machines is normal.
It happens too with our receivers and other pieces of audio electronics that contain chips, DACs, USB, Ethernet ports, and upgradable through firmware updates. ...TVs, Blu-ray players, etc.

Some small electronics today (watches, androids, iPhones, USB Dacs, ...) they're computers, and they need the occasional reboot.
_________

There are many browsers out there, some people use only one, others half dozen...depending.

http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/feature/software/best-web-browser-2016-3635255/
http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...rer-vs-chrome-vs-firefox-vs-safari-vs-edge/2/
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/best-browser-which-should-you-be-using-932466
_________

Google Chrome

It's only been around for eight years, but Chrome's appealing mix of features, speed and usability has seen it leave most of the competition behind.

The browser's streamlined interface takes up the minimum amount of screen space, but there's plenty of functionality when you need it: excellent tab handling, syncing of browser data across all your devices, convenient tab muting, a task manager to monitor resource use, simple parental controls via 'supervised users', and a host of tweaks, settings and configuration options.

If you need more, that's not a problem, either – Chrome has the largest and best selection of extensions around.

There are issues, however. Chrome can be a resource hog, slow to start, using multiple processes and grabbing much more RAM than the lightweight Opera or Edge.

There are also privacy concerns over the various ways Chrome can pass your data to Google. And benchmarks show it's no longer the clear leader for browsing performance.

Factor in Opera and maybe Firefox's upcoming ability to run Chrome extensions, and rivals are clearly catching up. The browser wars aren't over just yet.

________

Microsoft Edge (New)

While most browsers pile on the features to try and win you over, Windows 10's Edge is clean, lightweight, and seriously stripped-back (check out our hands-on review for the full details).

The interface is simple – a single toolbar with just a few buttons. Even a total computer novice will be up-to-speed quickly.

There are one or two potentially useful extras. Web Notes allows you to add notes to a web page and share them with others, there are thumbnail previews for tabs, and Reading View reformats pages to remove distractions and make them easier to read (unfortunately it doesn't work with many sites yet).

What you don't get, unfortunately, is support for any extensions. They are in preview builds of the browser already, though, and due to launch with the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 later this summer.

There are also very few configuration options. If you like to tweak and customise your browser, this isn't the package for you.

Edge's simplicity, lightweight design and promising future mean it just scrapes into this list – and it's noticeably faster than IE, too – but if you need to do anything faintly advanced then it's best to look elsewhere.

Available for: Windows 10

________

Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, ... which browser is your favorite, the one you mostly use?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Windows 10 ... couple easy questions:

1. Is REW having the same results as with Windows 7 and 8 (8.1)?
2. External hard drive: On the package it says Windows various versions are supported, up to Windows 8 - are those still accommodated by Windows 10?

I asked because one I've read that REW gives different results and behave differently from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
And two because the packages for many external hard drives were packaged in 2014, so I was just wondering if Windows 10 is still compatible with them.
_______

Can someone teach me or offer me a good link as to the difference between those hard drives that plug to your USB PC's port in addition to the AC power connection (larger size), and the ones (small compact size like a small cell phone) that only have a USB cord for connection to your PC or laptop?

Say for example that your lap top is full, and that you need more space (GB memory) to add pictures, etc., and that you want more storage but USB sticks are expensive when you buy a bunch of them and it's confusing as to know which one has this content or that content, say from three dozens of USB sticks. I have many USB sticks from 4GB to 64GB and I have no clue which one has the pics I'm looking for until I checked them one by one...very time consuming.

More: Can you send a larger file of pictures to a family member, say 5GB, by online transmission? My friend asked me that the other day, is there a program, free app that would allow you to just do that?

Last: Can you plug an external storage hard drive directly to the USB port of your DVD player to view your pics, and what maximum capacity is compatible, like 1TB, 2TB, and not higher than that?
And, what is a very good price (on sale) for say a 2TB external hard drive? And are there better brands than others? ...Passport, Seagate, etc.

Thank you for your cooperation. - Robocop :b

* I have zero real life experience with all that stuff. Computers are certainly not my forte.
And I got rid of Cortana; she just takes too much power (data and juice) from my laptop...she's very demanding and affects my other actions. ...Like she wants to take control over my life. :D She slows me down.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Windows 10 is what it is depending of who you ask.

https://www.techradar.com/news/expe...ates-are-a-mess-and-demand-microsoft-fix-them

Personally I hardly use it. There are some nuisances, and some slight recomforts.
What I like lesser is the slowness and YouTube videos.
What I like more is that Skype is universal but Face Time is not.
But Skype has its fair share of issues recently. Classic Skype has been indefinitely extended now; it was supposed to be gone on September 1st.

Apple is great, but why they don't make Face Time available to Microsoft users?

Skype wins here, because of its more friendly universal integration.

Best is to have a super computer with top processing power for Windows 10 constant upgrades and patch up, in my opinion, experience. For people having the pro business computers, Windows 10 might be satisfying. For the rest it all depends of who you ask. And from that link above, some experts gave some feedback. Microsoft loves getting feedback; that's how they can improve working with real people in real life using their operating system.

Good business is a one on one open affair.

Windows 10 is now a big update every six months. In the future three months; it's normal in this constantly faster world of the internet business highway.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I'm generally happy with it and the Edge browser.
What I have learn't though is that you need to used a wired connection to install the updates because it can take up to three hours wtih wifi

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Barry,

That's why I said it depends of who you ask, and what processing power they have.
For me it has few things I like; more privacy sort of, new menu designs, more features.
The stuff I like less is slower loading of pictures and videos, more time fine tuning/consuming, settings, updating.
By the time I'm ready to give a score from one to ten another major update is going to take place.

But if I had to rate it today, it would be roughly between 6.5 and 7 (out of ten).
...Which is better than say 4 or 5.

Apple is very tempting because some members of my family are with it and are happy.
I don't really care who I give my money to; I want more happiness in exchange for it, less trouble in life. :b

I've read few articles, I'm keeping in touch with Microsoft and Windows 10, I'm experiencing it myself.

And yes I agree; wired is faster and better (usually) than wireless. @ least for the big updates.
_____

Any fire burning near where you live, how's the weather, hot?
Here today was the hottest day of the year so far, 38 degree Celsius outside on my deck in the shade!
And you can smell the burning air from fires within a 60 miles radius.
But it's nothing like in Sweden and in Northern California.
Our planet is getting hot, it's a fact.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Bob
My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 17R SE so plenty powerful and still delivering the goods after nearly five years.
My son has a top end Apple which he is very pleased with and I will be tempted by one when the Dell expires.
ATB
Barry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Mine is a VAIO with only i5, a new screen (not the proper one because I got ripped off), a new battery (because after couple years they go dead), a broken speaker, faulty camera, and much more problems.
I bought it new about three years ago, for around $600 and I added another $300.
I used it extensively, I took the best care of it, that's the way I am with all my toys and family and friends, I'm just about to replace the entire thing.

Dell is well recommended, Lenovo second. My Mom has an iPad, my brother too, plus a Mac Pro, and his son works in computers and he's an Apple expert. His daughter she's also an Apple world user and traveller.

Life is very short, and Apple I have no personal experience, perhaps the time is coming.
I enjoy life, I live to the max, now maybe to the mac. :b

The important thing is to live now; not yesterday and not tomorrow.
That's my philosophy.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Almost on a daily basis there are news about Windows 10, and the latest on the October 10 Fall Update (which is still being delayed to this day because of many issues) is this:

Microsoft Broke Windows 10’s File Associations With a Botched Update

By Chris Hoffman - November 05, 2018

"File associations no longer work properly on Windows 10 after a buggy update. Windows won’t let you select certain applications as your defaults. We tested multiple PCs running the stable version of Windows 10, and they all had this problem.

This is a strange bug. It affects some applications, but not others. For example, Windows 10 won’t let you make Adobe Photoshop or Notepad++ a default application for images or text files. But you can make other applications, like IrfanView, VLC, or Google Chrome, your defaults.

For example, here’s what happens when we try setting Notepad++ as our default application for .txt files in Windows 10’s Settings app. Windows just ignores our choice and chooses Notepad as the default."

"The same problem occurs when we try choosing a new file association by right-clicking a file and using the “Open With” context menu. After picking Notepad++ and selecting “Always Use This App,” the file opens correctly in the application we chose.

However, the next time we open that file, it opens in Notepad rather than Notepad++. Windows just forgets our chosen file association."

"Again, we’ve tested multiple Windows 10 PCs running the April 2018 Update and every single one we tested has this problem. It doesn’t affect every application, but it does at least affect Photoshop and Notepad++. This bug does not appear to affect PCs running the October 2018 Update, which was pulled because of multiple data loss bugs and has not yet been re-released."

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

To find out more, try the "i" information center; by clicking on the logo.
There isn't much new with Microsoft Windows 10 of the recent news from say the last four weeks and more.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing