Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
... Reason for this is the new AS model coming out in the first half of next year and he's reserved the first two.
david
Hi David,
Any trailers for this new AS model?
:D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Best is always a moving target ;) only some decades it doesn't move much. I'll be keen to hear about this next wave!

True! Sometimes a concept is too good to let it rest when you know you can do better than that best:).

Hi David,
Any trailers for this new AS model?
:D

Not yet CK, the design concept and the engineering is done now working on the final drawings and currently testing the new electronics. I'm hoping to have a final working prototype by year end, that's when we get the trailer.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This thread has been dormant for a few months, so I thought I would add some content about my new Micro Seiki SX 8000 II. David found this table for me last December and it arrived in my listening room a few weeks ago. I installed two NOS SME 3012R tonearms and designed two custom stainless steel plates to provide separate stable platforms for the motor unit and main chassis.

The table is in excellent condition and David provided a very complete and pleasant service experience. I visited David and saw the table. We disassembled the air bearing and I was able to understand the level to which this table was designed and manufactured. It is an extremely impressive design. It is simple and well executed and there does not seem to be anything extra added. The vacuum hold down works well and the air bearing is quiet and allows the heavy platter to keep spinning long after the motor is shut down.

The sound is very balanced and natural. With the two vintage SME arm, the stock SME phono cables, and the vdH Grand Cru cartridge, it retrieves an incredible amount of information from the vinyl and presents it in a very natural way. Nothing is accentuated or spotlit. Music simply flows forth and sounds right. The bass is unusually nuanced and detailed but without artificial emphasis, extension or slam. It simply provides a very nice and solid foundation to the music. I would say the turntable disappears and simply provides a platform for the cartridge and arm to do their thing and retrieve immense amounts of information. I am loving it.

Thank you David for starting this thread, for sharing your knowledge of these incredible Micro Seiki turntables with the members of the forum, and for finding this "Beyond" table for me. It has transformed my music listening.

IMG_1067 copy.JPG

IMG_1070.JPG

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
This thread has been dormant for a few months, so I thought I would add some content about my new Micro Seiki SX II. David found this table for me last December and it arrived in my listening room a few weeks ago. I installed two NOS SME 3012R tonearms and designed two custom stainless steel plates to provide separate stable platforms for the motor unit and main chassis.

The table is in excellent condition and David provided a very complete and pleasant service experience. I visited David and saw the table. We disassembled the air bearing and I was able to understand the level to which this table was designed and manufactured. It is an extremely impressive design. It is simple and well executed and there does not seem to be anything extra added. The vacuum hold down works well and the air bearing is quiet and allows the heavy platter to keep spinning long after the motor is shut down.

The sound is very balanced and natural. With the two vintage SME arm, the stock SME phono cables, and the vdH Grand Cru cartridge, it retrieves and incredible amount of information from the vinyl and presents it in a very natural way. Nothing it accentuated or spotlit. Music simply flows forth and sounds right. The bass is unusually nuanced and detailed but without artificial emphasis, extension or slam. It simply provides a very nice and solid foundation to the music. I would say the turntable disappears and simply provides a platform for the cartridge and arm to do their thing and retrieve immense amounts of information. I am loving it.

Thank you David for starting this thread, for sharing your knowledge of these incredible Micro Seiki turntables with the members of the forum, and for finding this "Beyond" table for me. It has transformed my music listening.

View attachment 76205

View attachment 76206

Hi Peter,

Congrats - nice TT. Did you have any vids of this new one playing vs the SME 30/12? Is this usurped the SME as your primary analogue source?

Best.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Congratulations again ! :) Did you get a chance to try the V 12 arm on the Micro Seiki before you sold the SME TT ? How are your other cartridges performing in the new setup ? You are not getting of this easy, we still expect one of you deeper going reviews later;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,

Congrats - nice TT. Did you have any vids of this new one playing vs the SME 30/12? Is this usurped the SME as your primary analogue source?

Best.

Thank you Bill. Yes this turntable is now my main vinyl source. The SME has been sold. I do not have any videos yet of this turntable, but I plan to make some once things settle down.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you Bill. Yes this turntable is now my main vinyl source. The SME has been sold. I do not have any videos yet of this turntable, but I plan to make some once things settle down.

Ah cool - enjoy! There is some magic in an air bearing TT no doubt. I really like your new TT - looks awesome and I imagine sounds it too. Look forward to your vids in due course.

Best.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations again ! :) Did you get a chance to try the V 12 arm on the Micro Seiki before you sold the SME TT ? How are your other cartridges performing in the new setup ? You are not getting of this easy, we still expect one of you deeper going reviews later;)

HA! I sent the SME V12 back to the company for new wiring and refurbishment. They did a complete service on the tonearm and it was returned In as new condition. I left it in its box as I receive it for the new owner of my SME turntable.

I sold the Airtight Supreme and MSL Signature Gold cartridges. They both had low hours. The new owners are very pleased with them. I now have 3 vdH cartridges remaining. I may explore moving magnet and other vintage cartridges in the future.

As far as a long detailed review goes for this turntable, there’s really very little to say. As my system evolves and my listening preferences change, I find it somewhat challenging to describe what I’m hearing. It is becoming difficult to break things apart into individual sonic attributes. I’m just focusing more on the whole picture. This turntable simply presents lots of information in a natural way. It sounds right with nothing out of place or emphasized. I don’t know how else to describe it. I am hearing more, and it is more convincing than before.

Singers sound more human, instruments sound more like themselves, and the venues in which the recordings were made are more evident. Listening to music is now even more enjoyable than it was. It is as simple as that.

Last edited:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This turntable simply presents lots of information in a natural way. It sounds right with nothing out of place or emphasized. I don’t know how else to describe it. I am hearing more, and it is more convincing than before.

Singers sound more human, instruments sound more like themselves, and the venues in which the recordings were made are more evident. Listening to music is now even more enjoyable than it was. It is as simple as that.
It's about the music than the gear, that's why I call these turntables Beyond!

david

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
The SX8000 MkII is looking great Peter. Ever since I got my first MS in 2019(?) there has been no turning back. They are just so damn well built. It's a shame that TechDas can't produce a 'Vintage' collection and recreate these tables exactly.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The SX8000 MkII is looking great Peter. Ever since I got my first MS in 2019(?) there has been no turning back. They are just so damn well built. It's a shame that TechDas can't produce a 'Vintage' collection and recreate these tables exactly.

Howie, what MS tables do you have? Any photos or links to your system? One would think that some of these tables could be recreated, but perhaps it is not so easy.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Gotta like those twin Craz racks and the Audio Note M10.
Beautiful tables and setup, Howie.
Thanks. The left Craz rack is more than 10 years old and I found a used one a couple of years ago after searching for many years. Not sure if you can tell but the Craz rack3 on the right has thinner shelves and is actually a lot lighter....

Reactions: Vienna and tima

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Wow, what a wonderful set up, Howie. The Micro Seiki looks great. I think the SRA racks are the most attractive main stream commercial rack systems available. I also really like the look of that MS air base. Do you use the record weight even though the 8000 II has vacuum hold down?

It looks like you also have an idler and a direct drive. How do the three tables compare?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Thanks. The left Craz rack is more than 10 years old and I found a used one a couple of years ago after searching for many years. Not sure if you can tell but the Craz rack3 on the right has thinner shelves and is actually a lot lighter....

Interesting. I'm vaguely recalling SRA changed the Craz build technique for inserting the titanium endo-skeleton - not sure if that effects weight. Yes the new shelf material found on the Craz 3 (and Scuttle 3) is 1/8" thinner - your earlier model can be upgraded with new shelves and I think they'll take back the old ones. Imo the new shelves 'sound better'.

Looks like you swapped out the footers on the 3. You know that is heresy. :)

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Interesting. I'm vaguely recalling SRA changed the Craz build technique for inserting the titanium endo-skeleton - not sure if that effects weight. Yes the new shelf material found on the Craz 3 (and Scuttle 3) is 1/8" thinner - your earlier model can be upgraded with new shelves and I think they'll take back the old ones. Imo the new shelves 'sound better'.

Looks like you swapped out the footers on the 3. You know that is heresy. :)
It wasn't me. The former owner did it. My old Craz rack just has those big spikes coming out of the frame. What was meant to be on the Craz 3 rack? I didn't even check. I will say this, the new SRA rings a lot more than the old one if you rap your knuckles on the shelf.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Wow, what a wonderful set up, Howie. The Micro Seiki looks great. I think the SRA racks are the most attractive main stream commercial rack systems available. I also really like the look of that MS air base. Do you use the record weight even though the 8000 II has vacuum hold down?

It looks like you also have an idler and a direct drive. How do the three tables compare?
No, the weight is from my RX5000 period and that had no vacuum hold down but these vintage things are not easy to find anymore and this was NOS so I am holding onto it :) . Yes I decided to have all three propulsion systems rather than have lots of belt driven tables. The DD is a bit more brutal, the Idler is a bit more forward and dense and the 8000 a bit more gentle. I don't use the Garrard nearly enough but it's a great table with the Ikeda arm and cart. Funny how I ended up with three 40 year old tables!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing