Neolith with SET on panel?

Steinway

Oct 19, 2012
Hi,

is that possible? How much watt would I need ?
I plan to use a cheaper SS amp for the 2 bass drivers. Maybe later a tube too..

Matthias

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Driving a stat is like charging a capacitor. SET would need huge watts for the slew rates, not really indicated. Push pull OTL amplifiers with custom transformer interface is probably better. For subwoofers, just use a tube integrated preamp and use the solid state to drive. Stats are probably good candidates for one of the newer, more powerful SIT/VFET amplifiers from Japan (or one of the older VFET amps in the 100 watt range aka Sony or Yamaha). I would love to hear that combo.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Even the panel alone needs some oomph to get it playing well. The MartinLogan Neolith brochure (as well as the CLS IIz brochure) specifies minimum power of 20w but I think they must have been tipsy when they wrote that. 100w might work but I recommend 200w and up, certainly for the whole Neolith speaker.

Frank is here

Nov 13, 2013
try it and listen...I have and do so still use Ongaku [Kondo] specially built by Kondo san many years ago as mono-block single 211 amps also a pair of new Kondo Kagura amps on CLS panels and Neolith panels albeit not huge sound but absolutely listenable at a resonable spl level .....I have even tried and successfully listen with these amps on my Statement E2's [full set]

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing