Concept System Approach

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
I was having a discussion with a friend and fellow audiophile a few years ago when we had very similar systems – big and complex. The discussion revolved around how it would be nice to simplify the system – less components, cables, etc. At the time my system consisted of the following:

Pipedream speakers (modified with ribbon tweeters and removal of the passive crossover components)
Atmasphere MA-1’s for the midrange
M60’s for the ribbons
Sim Audio W10’s for the subwoofers
MBL 6010 linestage
Clearaudio Master Reference with Colibri cartridge
ASR Basis Exclusive phono stage
Goldmund 36 with Mimesis 10+ DAC

The system was in a large room that was open to the foyer and dining room so it was aesthetically important as this was the first thing you saw when you entered the house. Oddly, my wife didn't mind the Pipedreams too much, but she hated the tube amplifiers on the floor by the speakers. However, the combination of Atmasphere amps and the modified Pipedreams was just too fun to give up on a whim.

But after some thought, I imagined that it might be possible to get close to the performance of the system by converting all of the components to accept direct DC input from large format batteries – similar to the ones I was using at work with advanced automotive powertrains. The reason for this is that power conditioning and power supplies play a huge role in the sonic character of components. By using Lithium Ion cells that have large capacity and a flat discharge curve it is possible to directly feed the individual circuits with very stable and low noise power.

The challenge was on – see how close it could get...

The concept would be to use lower cost components that could be easily modified to run on the battery power supplies and conceal them in a rack – creating in effect a console. The final system consists of the following:

Custom Technics SP10 Mk3 with Clearaudio tangential arm
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement cartridge
Modified Metric Halo Lio 8 (both for DAC and Phono)
Modified Pass Labs F5 monoblocks (changed from single ended stereo to balanced mono)
Wilson Watt/Puppy 8
Custom stand designed to conceal the components
Custom room treatments
Custom Ultrasonic record cleaner

I chose Wilson Watt Puppy 8 speakers due to the small form factor and aesthetic. They would be a good choice if I could get them to fill the Pipedreams shoes.

After living with the system now for a couple of years I am quite satisfied with the results. The Wilsons (including the Titanium tweeter) are really overachievers – they are detailed, dynamic, throw a similar soundstage to the Pipedreams and deliver the music with as much fun factor as the Pipedreams. The upstream components make this possible.

Although this concept requires specialty controls and equipment at this point, in the near future there is going to be a push towards home energy storage (witness Tesla‘s latest announcement) and this is a logical extension once you have DC in the home. A DC house with all of the appliances/electronics configured for DC makes sense from an efficiency, performance, and cost standpoint. Toshiba has a home demonstration in Japan which illustrates the concept.

I have posted some photos of the various components and my listening room on my system page. BF_LR_RightView-001lowres (2).jpg

Bruce

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I was having a discussion with a friend and fellow audiophile a few years ago when we had very similar systems – big and complex. The discussion revolved around how it would be nice to simplify the system – less components, cables, etc. At the time my system consisted of the following:

Pipedream speakers (modified with ribbon tweeters and removal of the passive crossover components)
Atmasphere MA-1’s for the midrange
M60’s for the ribbons
Sim Audio W10’s for the subwoofers
MBL 6010 linestage
Clearaudio Master Reference with Colibri cartridge
ASR Basis Exclusive phono stage
Goldmund 36 with Mimesis 10+ DAC

The system was in a large room that was open to the foyer and dining room so it was aesthetically important as this was the first thing you saw when you entered the house. Oddly, my wife didn't mind the Pipedreams too much, but she hated the tube amplifiers on the floor by the speakers. However, the combination of Atmasphere amps and the modified Pipedreams was just too fun to give up on a whim.

But after some thought, I imagined that it might be possible to get close to the performance of the system by converting all of the components to accept direct DC input from large format batteries – similar to the ones I was using at work with advanced automotive powertrains. The reason for this is that power conditioning and power supplies play a huge role in the sonic character of components. By using Lithium Ion cells that have large capacity and a flat discharge curve it is possible to directly feed the individual circuits with very stable and low noise power.

The challenge was on – see how close it could get...

The concept would be to use lower cost components that could be easily modified to run on the battery power supplies and conceal them in a rack – creating in effect a console. The final system consists of the following:

Custom Technics SP10 Mk3 with Clearaudio tangential arm
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement cartridge
Modified Metric Halo Lio 8 (both for DAC and Phono)
Modified Pass Labs F5 monoblocks (changed from single ended stereo to balanced mono)
Wilson Watt/Puppy 8
Custom stand designed to conceal the components
Custom room treatments
Custom Ultrasonic record cleaner

I chose Wilson Watt Puppy 8 speakers due to the small form factor and aesthetic. They would be a good choice if I could get them to fill the Pipedreams shoes.

After living with the system now for a couple of years I am quite satisfied with the results. The Wilsons (including the Titanium tweeter) are really overachievers – they are detailed, dynamic, throw a similar soundstage to the Pipedreams and deliver the music with as much fun factor as the Pipedreams. The upstream components make this possible.

Although this concept requires specialty controls and equipment at this point, in the near future there is going to be a push towards home energy storage (witness Tesla‘s latest announcement) and this is a logical extension once you have DC in the home. A DC house with all of the appliances/electronics configured for DC makes sense from an efficiency, performance, and cost standpoint. Toshiba has a home demonstration in Japan which illustrates the concept.

I have posted some photos of the various components and my listening room on my system page. View attachment 20600

Bruce

Spectacular! Looks like a relaxing space to enjoy music. Well done.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Forget the audio system for the moment. That is one beautiful space! I love how you have acoustic products blending so well into the decor. Or inversely, art work that is acting like acoustic products :).

So where is the battery bank and charging system? Is it one central system or does each component have its own?

I must say, this is one of the most beautiful and innovating systems I have ever seen. Congratulations.

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Thanks Amir - the "artwork" is actually an ASC product that I covered and put together with in a geometric pattern. My wife was not big on the stock stuff...

The battery power supplies are contained in the maple boxes that make up the rack at the back of the room. Of the 7 boxes, 4 are battery power supplies and the other 3 are for the components - there is basically a different battery pack for each component. It would be possible to have only one battery pack with multiple taps for the various component voltage requirements, but it would allow crosstalk between components and the charging would still be complicated so I did not choose to do that.

Bruce

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Wow that is incredible! Both your system transition and the overall room. I wouldn't mind spending many a hour in there. Kudos to you sir.

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Wow that is incredible! Both your system transition and the overall room. I wouldn't mind spending many a hour in there. Kudos to you sir.

Thanks for kind comments - there have been some long sessions especially with my Father in Law who is a treasure of jazz history.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Bruce,

Fantastic setup and fascinating to read about your customized approach to power (which many of us have noted plays a very big part in the resulting sound quality of the system). However, i am curious about the room behind your speakers.

We are contemplating moving the speakers to a similar setup where 2 larger rooms are connected but there is a bit of archway/wall (like in your photo)...did you find that the space in the middle behind the speakers causes a big change or challenge for speaker setup? Or does it give breathing room?

I remember on my X1s that Martin Colloms noted both is and Ricardo's (Wilson Distributor) room both had deep bay windows which he actually preferred because he felt it gave some room behind the speakers which thought worked well.

Curious as to any thoughts you have on this, as we contemplate our own speaker positioning. Thanks!

bfalls

Mar 6, 2014
Orange County, CA
Hi Lloyd,

Thanks for the compliment - I am fortunate that my wife let me take over the living room and dining room and turn it into a music room. The room behind the speakers is a big advantage in developing a large, open soundstage. I have a couple of friends that have great systems based on different speakers and they also have significant space behind the speakers. We all get the same effect. With my Watt/Puppy's, the large soundstage is also considerable taller than a normal setup and much closer to when I had Pipedreams. This was my biggest concern in going to the Watt/Puppy's and it turned out to not be an issue when I got them in the room.

I also have about 10' behind the listening chair which is a good thing from a reflection standpoint, but if I had to give one up I would sit against a wall before I would not leave a large space behind the speakers. I would encourage you to give it a try.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Fantastic setup and fascinating to read about your customized approach to power (which many of us have noted plays a very big part in the resulting sound quality of the system). However, i am curious about the room behind your speakers.

We are contemplating moving the speakers to a similar setup where 2 larger rooms are connected but there is a bit of archway/wall (like in your photo)...did you find that the space in the middle behind the speakers causes a big change or challenge for speaker setup? Or does it give breathing room?

I remember on my X1s that Martin Colloms noted both is and Ricardo's (Wilson Distributor) room both had deep bay windows which he actually preferred because he felt it gave some room behind the speakers which thought worked well.

Curious as to any thoughts you have on this, as we contemplate our own speaker positioning. Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
thank you! good to know! Will definitely give it a shot...i will have professional help so looking forward to it. In truth the 'arched separation' between the two rooms is about 1/3 of the way down the full length of both rooms...in many cases, people like putting speakers about a 1/3 of the way in (Arrakis, Genesis) anyway...i just wonder if we will end up with a close approximation of this even with the 3.5' wide partitions behind the speakers...

...thanks again for your insights...will definitely give it a shot.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing