Nagra PLL/VPS/Jazz owners, have you tried the Nagra MPS - I have

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've had a long love affair of my Nagra VPS phono stage. It's the oldest component in my system. I've tried 3 other phono stages over the years and the Nagra just keeps going. Others seem to have their admirable things, but never better than the Nagra as whole.

My dealer brought over the Nagra MPS (Multiple Power Supply). It has the battery option installed.

Using the MPS's AC output, instantly the soundstage was bigger...but the focus was better also Every instrument is much more articulate in a bigger space front to back and side to side. Resolution and natural portrayal both improves. The noise was lower...more weight on each note and better dynamics. It's just simply quieter. All of this is not a subtle difference from the normal Nagra ACPS-II power supply.

The battery option brings even lower noise and more weight and texture on the notes. More quiet allowing more to emerge.

Killer upgrade for a Nagra pre or phono stage owner. I'll be ordering one ...

Reactions: jeff1225

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
John
You have me seriously intrigued. It's close to 8 yrs on my Nagra VPS and I have yet to encounter a better phono. If the MPS can lift the performance of the VPS it must be "some gizmo".
Cheers
Pradeep

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I'm still using the ACPS version 1 on my PLL. I'm using it in my 2channel HT system so no push to upgrade. If I owned 2 or more Nagra sources or pre I would consider the MPS. I'm considering the VPS and may look for a nicely used unit near the end of the year.

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Have been interested in this product for awhile as i use a nagra cdp and jazz. I understand that it makes the most difference on the vps and hd dac but may have less impact on the cdp and jazz. They are tough to find to demo as well.
Chris

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Have been interested in this product for awhile as i use a nagra cdp and jazz. I understand that it makes the most difference on the vps and hd dac but may have less impact on the cdp and jazz. They are tough to find to demo as well.
Chris

My dealer has a Jazz. ( used to have a pll) - he's pretty impressed by the mps

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Hi Guys,

I might soon get a Nagra Classic preamp. Has anyone of you tested the benefit of this (costly) MPS separated power supply unit ?
The Classic preamp already comes with its own internal poser supply module. I’m also wondering if an ACPS-II external supply could bring any good to this nice preamp ?

Any general feedback on the Classic preamp will be appreciated as well ;-)
Particularly, I’m a bit worried that is it not a “balanced design” by construction, so the 3D sound image may not be wide open as a true balanced preamplifier.

On the other side, I can guess that this 2016 product will surely outclass my (almost vintage) ML 380S fully balanced preamp which was designed more than 20 years ago by Madrigal.

Looking forward receiving your feedback.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I would not worry about the classic not being “fully” balanced. If you use the input and output transformers it’ll sound spectacular and I suspect quite a bit better than your current preamp that is fully balanced.

Balanced doesn’t always equal better in my experience...

I have not tried the MPS power supply on this preamp. I have upgraded my MPS to a Classic power supply and it’s for sure better than the MPS on my Nagra VPS.

My advice is get the preamp. And get used to it, then demo the various power supplies. While costly, it’s easy to hear to benefits.

Good luck !

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Thank you jfrech,

I think I remember you tried the Classic preamp in your system before acquiring the HD model. Was this Classic unit equipped with these balanced transformers for both Inputs and Outputs ?

My JMF Audio amplifier is very much designed to match with a preamplifier providing a balanced output signal.

Thanks again !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
All of my amps are fully balanced. My hd pre is a similar setup to the classic. Using transformers. I think you’ll prefer this path. You’ll gain a lot vs miss out ... it presents a fully balanced signal to your amp.

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Thanks again/merci jfrech,

If I get the Nagra Classic it is my firm intention to have the balanced transformers on the outputs.

For the preamp inputs this is less essential as my dCS Vivaldi DAC can provide a quality single ended signal on its RCA sockets. ;-)

The “Nagra itch” is affecting me these days ... (never had any of their products in my home, but always appreciated their demos on Shows).

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
True on your Vivaldi. However I do think the input transformers will sound a bit better using the XLR outs on your DAC. My dealer has a Nagra Classic and HD preamp. It works very will your Vivaldi. I think it'll be a great addition to your system ! In addition to the power supplies we've discussed, the Nagra VFS will help a bit too. Of course the VFS and Classic (or used MPS) can always be added down the road. You won't go wrong with a Nagra Pre !

Cellindo

Oct 28, 2018
France
Thanks once again.

Good and interesting to know the nice pairing of dCS DAC and Nagra preamp !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing