• Dave Alvin Blackjack David

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mose Allison

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
John-I understand what you are saying and agree. However, in the quote of mine you used above, I was really referring to something that is a matter of record that happened and I was referring to telling the truth regarding the facts of something that are public knowledge. I was not referring to making a statement based on opinion such as XYZ cables are the best and if you don't realize that, then you have mud in your ears. In the context of someone's belief systems and making statements about what you believe, I certainly agree with what you said.

Mark

John Brooks

Apr 26, 2010
Washington (the state)
When the TP was getting off the ground, they chose a diverse grouping of titles and styles to have broad appeal. The goal was to obtain subscribers.

Now that they have a customer base of subscribers, they should put the titles they expect to have access to to a vote of the existing subscription holders. The goal should be to maintain subscribers (while growing the base with more like them). In fact, they would be wise to actively solicit "favorite LP" lists from their subscribers and putting those titles out to a vote to help them seek out potential licenses for TP issues. FInd out what people want and give it to them. Marketing 101.

For my part, I've little interest in having a shelf full of tapes that sound great but which don't move me musically and I won't listen to. So far I have one TP album and plan on picking up one at a time when one comes available that I like. So if any of you TP subscribers out there have titles that you don't especially care for, feel free to PM me and see if it's one I'd like to own.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
:D TTP has just gotten me excited about the media, sonics, and equipment! I enjoy meeting new people who share this indulgence. Sourcing tape media/software has been a global excursion that I find very stimulating.

Vbr,
Sam

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
:D TTP has just gotten me excited about the media, sonics, and equipment! I enjoy meeting new people who share this indulgence. Sourcing tape media/software has been a global excursion that I find very stimulating.

Vbr,
Sam

Kinda makes record collecting look like a walk in the sun :)

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
I'd exchange all my favorite LPs for Tape Project issues. Let's see - that's about $1,250,000 at subscription rates but perhaps I could swing a deal if I bought in bulk. They are simply wonderful.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I have only heard the Rollins (At OHanlon's RMAF exhibit), the Espana, and the Exotic Dances which a friend has. I really enjoy them all. I just wish I could afford the tapes.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Admittedly, these is a small statistical sample--but classical music accounts for 80% of the chosen albums. I know that the Tape Project team are trying to diversify their titles but it seems that many TP purchasers prefer classical music. Personally, unless the release is a great rock title, I'd like to see TTP stick to the great jazz (and I really don't want more monos) and classical albums.

What are others thoughts on the title selection process?

Agreed on the Jazz vote.

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I spoke to Eileen to get my TP subscriptions rolling. She gave me the ok to post this update. The reason things have been so slow is Paul is semi-retired so they make copies whenever he is able to. They are planning on working on rehauling/revising how the system works, and hopefully there will be more new releases.

Last edited:

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
..hopefully there will be more new releases?

Is that what Eileen said or you paraphrased? That sounds like that might be the end too?

What I paraphrased. I did get more than a strong impression they are working on getting new titles out. But like I said Paul being semi retired makes it time consuming for them to fill orders on their current catalog.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am a bit of a contrarian on "Waltz for Debby". Although hiqh quality tape is the ultimate analog format, I have preferred my Riverside version on vinyl on my home system. The tapes sound less integrated for some reason. Maybe it is just a tape aging problem vs. original vinyl.
It is an old thread but I just saw. Maybe I have a defected Waltz for Debby from Tape Project. I have been trying to wow on this tape but it never happened. I revisited quite a few times after it has been super highly recommended in another forum. Nonetheless I am not saying it sounds less good than vinyl.

Kind regards,
Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It is an old thread but I just saw. Maybe I have a defected Waltz for Debby from Tape Project. I have been trying to wow on this tape but it never happened. I revisited quite a few times after it has been super highly recommended in another forum. Nonetheless I am not saying it sounds less good than vinyl.

Kind regards,
Tang
I have the vinyl reissue it's dead and boring sounding too. I also bought it based on internet recommendations but...

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a Tape Project Waltz for Debbie (I actually think I inadvertently ordered two of them, forgetting that I had ordered one earlier), as well as this title from two other tape sources. I am looking forward (I think) to conducting tape comparisons of the same title for the next 5 to 10 years. o_O

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have a Tape Project Waltz for Debbie (I actually think I inadvertently ordered two of them, forgetting that I had ordered one earlier), as well as this title from two other tape sources. I am looking forward (I think) to conducting tape comparisons of the same title for the next 5 to 10 years. o_O

Ron,

No need to worry about the Tape Project TP008 - it is really a great sounding tape - mine sounds significantly better than the CD or LP, although I do not own any reissue. IMHO a real pleasure to listen, I feel happy to own XLF's when I listen to it - yes, I prefer it in the XLF's to the Soundlab's. :)

Curiously, ten years ago when it was released (end of 2008) , this tape was considered by unsuspected audiophiles as a great achievement and at the top of audiophile enjoyment and realism ...

Reactions: wilson1

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Francisco.

The track Waltz for Debby is normally a perfect example of the kind of jazz that I find too slow and uninvolving and unenergetic and boring. (I appreciate that I am a jazz Philistine, but this is exactly how I feel about Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue. :eek:)

For some completely inexplicable reason I very much like Waltz for Debby musically, and I’m happy to listen to it a lot! Go figure!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Thank you, Francisco.

The track Waltz for Debby is normally a perfect example of the kind of jazz that I find too slow and uninvolving and unenergetic and boring. (I appreciate that I am a jazz Philistine, but this is exactly how I feel about Miles Davis’ Kind of Blue. :eek:)

For some completely inexplicable reason I very much like Waltz for Debby musically, and I’m happy to listen to it a lot! Go figure!
I think you have to douse a pint of bourbon and smoke a pack of cigarettes to get yourself in the mood.

I agree, though, I have no idea how 'iconic recordings' get elected, except that they become enthroned and that is that until the current crop of audiophiles become extinct and some other recordings are anointed. It gives collectors envy objects as grist for their mills.

There was a guy on audio asylum years ago who was very feisty about 'Kind of Blue' because of it's role in defining modal jazz, and he had some lengthy scholarly posts about it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing