Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Eric Clapton live AFTER rehab

I am a big Clapton fan, but only his live versions. IMO Clapton lost it when he went to rehab, and I don't like his unplugged album. I have watched him live 5 times.

His best versions are in the live album Just One Night, which was Live at Budokan 1981. He would change his lead every show. I don't know any other main artist with so much deviation between studio and live. I find his studio boring, more like trailers for a movie.

This is Eric Clapton live AFTER rehab, man, I don't think it gets much better than this....:cool:

Kefas

May 21, 2014
And what a unique combination, Jazz great Wynton Marsarlis and Slowhand. Musical borders does not exist?

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Sound stage and definition

1. Carmen Gomes inc; '' I'm on fire'' from Thousand Shades of Blue

View attachment 20353

http://www.soundliaison.com/
Placement is perfect on this young audiophile classic as well as the near perfect natural recording of the voice, but the real test for audio equipment when listening to this recording is it's ability to separate the kickdrum from the upright bass.
The two instruments are playing the same pattern. On less than optimum equipment it might be difficult to separate the two, but with good setup you clearly hear the upright at 2.00 and the kick dead center with a nice decay that one generally do not hear on commercial recordings.
There are lots of speakers and headphones with ''extended lows'' but low with definition is a whole different ballgame.

HIFI;
Finally the 3rd Sound Liaison download with Carmen Gomes has become available. Thousand Shades of Blue is a tough act to follow but Little Blue does not disappoint.
The Sound Quality is incredible, and again there is that gorgeous low end definition with an even better sounding upright bass separated from the beautiful low kick drum.
They have kept the same stereo picture as on Thousand Shades of Blue, but now it is maybe even more vivid. The voice of Carmen Gomes is captured as intimate as someone whispering words of love in your ear and the playing of guitarist Tettero has never been better. The musical interplay between the two is simply marvelous. It must take years of playing together to reach such a level of musical empathy.
Highly recommended.
Littlblue300shadowv2.png
Head engineer Frans de Rond is proving once again that his knowledge of mic placement and use of equipment is in a class of it's own. He is one of the very few engineers that is able to create a sound stage, which is intimate, yet has depth and space. A sound stage which you could say projects a visual image of the musicians. Not a ''wall of sound'' but rather something like a three dimensional Monet painting, where you can walk in and take a look around.

Reactions: gadawg58

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Great download. I love the way the first 7 songs are sequenced.

Like a collection of short stories around a theme;
''Take me down to the river
Wash my soul and make me clean
Take away all the memories
Of the cruelest man I’ve ever seen
Wipe my mind completely blank
Make me forget about how I believe
Love’s a mutual thing
And easy to achieve.''
(I wouldn't change a thing, Carmen Gomes)

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Wynton Marsalis

And what a unique combination, Jazz great Wynton Marsarlis and Slowhand. Musical borders does not exist?

At least Wynton Marsalis, in recent years, is doing his best to break them down. He has been doing those Lincoln center concerts with musicians from very different genres.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Here is an excellent MONO recording;

''just in case you need to check the phase''

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Any thing Americana. And Jazz.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
... So had to do the one-click purchase

I used to take track 2 of this disk, "Copyright Royalties" as my "one shot deal" test track, but it isn't available on the tube (except by some impostors that don't do it justice)

Anyway, this would be a good introduction to Carla Bley if you don't know her. I've collected all her discs, some are only a little less indispensable than others.

115854724.jpg

I forgot to mention her website, http://www.wattxtrawatt.com/

APP

Oct 1, 2014
If you say Carla Bley, you say Steve Swallow. Their duo albums are maybe not sonic masterpieces but very enjoyable.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
If you say Carla Bley, you say Steve Swallow. Their duo albums are maybe not sonic masterpieces but very enjoyable.

That's largely true, but when "Sing Me Softly of the Blues" first appeared, with a full band, on "Dinner Music", recorded in 1976, it was Gordon Edwards on bass.

I didn't realize that myself. I would have incorrectly guessed Steve Swallow.

Carla Bley - organ, piano, tenor saxophone, vocals
Michael Mantler - trumpet
Carlos Ward - alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, flute
Roswell Rudd - trombone
Bob Stewart - tuba
Richard Tee - piano, electric piano
Cornell Dupree (tracks 1 & 7), Eric Gale, (tracks 2, 4 & 6) - guitar
Gordon Edwards - bass guitar
Steve Gadd - drums

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Carla and Steve

Carla and Steve's trio recording feut. Andy Sheppard is highly recommended....SOUNDS good too:)

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Here is an excellent MONO recording;

''just in case you need to check the phase''

This album is from the same tour. Actually it is part one and the above is part two;
Cannonball Adderley's 1960 Quintet (with cornetist Nat Adderley and pianist Victor Feldman) was in top form during their tour of Europe. Norman Granz did not release the music heard on this CD until almost 25 years after the fact but the strong solos and enthusiastic ensembles had not dated nor faded with time. These versions of "The Chant," "What Is This Thing Called Love?" and "Big 'P'" make for interesting comparisons with the better-known renditions. Adderley fans will want this set.

Kefas

May 21, 2014
Finally the 3rd Sound Liaison download with Carmen Gomes has become available. Thousand Shades of Blue is a tough act to follow but Little Blue does not disappoint.
The Sound Quality is incredible, and again there is that gorgeous low end definition with an even better sounding upright bass separated from the beautiful low kick drum.
They have kept the same stereo picture as on Thousand Shades of Blue, but now it is maybe even more vivid. The voice of Carmen Gomes is captured as intimate as someone whispering words of love in your ear and the playing of guitarist Tettero has never been better. The musical interplay between the two is simply marvelous. It must take years of playing together to reach such a level of musical empathy.
Highly recommended.
View attachment 23379
I guess they wanted to name the album ''Little Girl Blue'' but in order to avoid confusion with Nina Simone's album, they took away ''Girl'' from the title.
Just guessing but listening to the (title) track Little Girl Blue, and the amount of emotion Carmen Gomes puts into the lyrics this track is a stand out on this excellent production.

Migo

Aug 10, 2013
All the Sound Liaison downloads are selling for $11 until the 4th of January. DSD too; $11.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing