Good Music for testing Audio Equipment

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
It may be a bit controversial but I really do think it is also worth including average and poor recordings or poorly mastered releases/some aspect of the recording-mixing-mastering "trait" that can stand out (may only be for a brief instant or persistent); these type of recordings usually are helpful as their sound traits can become exacerbated such as sibilance-reverb/phase/echo used-quashed dynamics on one channel of the performance (possibly drums),etc.
This is where I find it is easier to identify some aspects on how a product behaves, of course the very best music can help and I use a mix of both.

Cheers
Orb
Works for me. The most important factor is surely that you are familiar with the Recording. Any difference you hear has to be compared to some Reference point to quantify it...

Kefas

May 21, 2014
It may be a bit controversial but I really do think it is also worth including average and poor recordings or poorly mastered releases/some aspect of the recording-mixing-mastering "trait" that can stand out (may only be for a brief instant or persistent); these type of recordings usually are helpful as their sound traits can become exacerbated such as sibilance-reverb/phase/echo used-quashed dynamics on one channel of the performance (possibly drums),etc.
This is where I find it is easier to identify some aspects on how a product behaves, of course the very best music can help and I use a mix of both.

Cheers
Orb

That is also what APP is talking about here in the 1st post;
John Scofield;'' Never Turn Back'' from Piety Street
the drum intro has a small imperfection, there is a soft ringing sound on the left channel probably coursed by a sympathic resonance in the drum set or in the room.
The moment the organ enters it kind of cover up the problem, although if you really listen for it you can hear it through out the track. Wonderful old fashioned sound stage.

APP

Oct 1, 2014

Cheers
Orb

Hi Orb,
I know you already answered once , I am just so curious, could you give one example?:)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
"Oh Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack. Listen to first track and the breaking of rocks by the convicts.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
One more.....Opening track with the drums and the pianist? whistling in unison with what he is playing, Stunning!
View attachment 22227
Listen here;http://www.soundliaison.com/

+1
I like the liner notes too, they describe the musical concept rather well.
Witmer Trio

The real challenge for a musician
once he has mastered his instrument
learned all about harmony and rhythm
absorbed the music of the masters that came before him
and found his own voice
the real challenge is one that in itself sounds very simple
place yourself in complete service of the music at hand
and play only what the music is asking for
but as every musician will tell you this is the most difficult of all musical challenges.

So many musicians these days are emphasizing the improvisation at the cost of the melody, with the result that .....''you got no melody to remember, and no beat to dance to''...
(Louis Armstrong)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

APP

Oct 1, 2014
One more.....Opening track with the drums and the pianist? whistling in unison with what he is playing, Stunning!

Listen here;http://www.soundliaison.com/
This is possible the song that inspired Witmer to whistle, see at 1;49.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
The arrangements and way of playing helps making a good recording possible

Witmertrio200shadow.jpg Highly recommended - great performance and even better recording!

That is actually a good question;
A: The arrangements and way of playing helps making a good recording possible, take the introduction of Gentle Rain as an example, or
B: the engineer is so good that he can make anything sound good.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
the room sounds so good that you can't go wrong

That is actually a good question;
A: The arrangements and way of playing helps making a good recording possible, take the introduction of Gentle Rain as an example, or
B: the engineer is so good that he can make anything sound good.

or c; the room sounds so good that you can't go wrong.

here is a good examples;

ACHiPo

Feb 22, 2015
Pleasanton, CA
or c; the room sounds so good that you can't go wrong.

here is a good examples;

Great clip! Thanks for sharing.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
4 classic sounding albums

One more, and these 4 albums all sounds great!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you LL21. I just ordered Eric Clapton, Unplugged on LP.

the unplugged version of ''Tears in Heaven'' is heartbreaking.

Agree...particularly when one considers this song [i believe] was written for his son who sadly died before he turned 5...i think he fell out of a 50-story building by freak accident or something.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am a big Clapton fan, but only his live versions. IMO Clapton lost it when he went to rehab, and I don't like his unplugged album. I have watched him live 5 times.

His best versions are in the live album Just One Night, which was Live at Budokan 1981. He would change his lead every show. I don't know any other main artist with so much deviation between studio and live. I find his studio boring, more like trailers for a movie.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing