Re-tipping blues...

kroslos

Feb 7, 2015
Naperivlle, IL
I need to vent....

I have two of my Koetsu's in for re-tipping. My Onyx Platinum Diamond was sent to one UK location and I sent my Rosewood Platinum Signature to a domestic (US) location. Why is it that the repair service takes so incredibly long?? Worse, why can these providers give us a better turn-around estimate on the repair timing before we make a decision on where to send our cartridges in for repair? The UK provider originally advised 4-6 weeks repair time - they've had it for over 5-months! The US provider originally advised 6-8 weeks and they've had it for three and, so far, have not provided any updates.

To make matters worse, when I send emails to the UK provider I receive "canned" responses (most of the time) and BS "string-along" responses.

At $350 - $550 a pop, you'd think we'd receive better customer service. Additionally, if "demand" is what's driving the repair cycle time, then you'd think more companies/individuals would get into the cartridge repairing market.

Frustrating...

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I didn't think they retipped Koetsu carts. I thought they rebuilt the whole thing, or is that when you bust the cantilever (Christian!).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Call me crazy, a purist or both but I would not go to a retipping service not even Soundsmith whose in-house carts I respect very very highly. I'd send the cart back to the manufacturer for a rebuild. Unfortunately that will cost 10x what the retippers would charge.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I need to vent....

I have two of my Koetsu's in for re-tipping.
To make matters worse, when I send emails to the UK provider I receive "canned" responses (most of the time) and BS "string-along" responses.

I hope the UK provider is not Expert Stylus---They stuffed two Koetsu Retips for me a while back

K -Singapore was/is the official factory service --they don't retip , but replace the whole shebang

Good Luck

BruceD

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Call me crazy, a purist or both but I would not go to a retipping service not even Soundsmith whose in-house carts I respect very very highly. I'd send the cart back to the manufacturer for a rebuild. Unfortunately that will cost 10x what the retippers would charge.

If you have a Koetsu stone body, the only place for a rebuild is Koetsu, period. A retip by anyone else is no longer a Koetsu..rather a Frankenstein cart.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you have a Koetsu stone body, the only place for a rebuild is Koetsu, period. A retip by anyone else is no longer a Koetsu..rather a Frankenstein cart.

My sentiments exactly.

kroslos

Feb 7, 2015
Naperivlle, IL
Let's get real here...

Koetsu's approach is "if I can't get $7K for a re-tip/rebuild, then it's not worth our effort". In my HO, that BS! While I'd absolutely prefer the manufacturer to replace the stylus, they, obviously, have other commercial/$'s objective. Trust me, I've tested this route; but for $7K, I think not...

I hate to say this, but we're all getting ripped off in our desires to find the "absolute". It's the bane of our existence, and will be the ultimate death of our passion.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Let's get real here...

Koetsu's approach is "if I can't get $7K for a re-tip/rebuild, then it's not worth our effort". In my HO, that BS! While I'd absolutely prefer the manufacturer to replace the stylus, they, obviously, have other commercial/$'s objective. Trust me, I've tested this route; but for $7K, I think not...

I hate to say this, but we're all getting ripped off in our desires to find the "absolute". It's the bane of our existence, and will be the ultimate death of our passion.
$4500 for a rebuild on their top tier carts. You are complaining about a $350 re-tip taking too long ? Lol

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Let's get real here...

Hi Kroslos. I feel your pain. Seriously and sincerely. One thing I noticed though is one cart is a diamond cantilever Onyx correct? That is a one piece cantilever/stylus. A rebuild is a must there. As for the RSG yes it can be re-tipped but sadly I have two friends that went out of house and regretted it.

Hopefully in your case the carts were not victims of accidental damage and that the re-tips are due because of extended use. If the latter is the case then you could always look at it as saving and not over spending.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing