Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend Windows Software to convert SACD ISO and DSF files to (tagged) flac

You need not do a new calibration unless something in the room has changed. If not, then the latest calibration tool will let you reload the old mike sweep and recalculate the filters using the higher resolutions as well as the old ones. That is all I did.

I did try 176k conversion from DSD for an extended period, and I concluded that 88k sounded slightly better. We can speculate on end as to why. There are plenty of plausible reasons. I saw no reason to try 192k. I think there is, without definitive evidence on my part, a mathematical reason to prefer the integer multiples of 44.1k. Trying176k vs. 192k? We are splitting hairs. Like camera pixels, car HP, and most all other things, we tend to think that the bigger the number, the better. T'aint necessarily so, in my opinion.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcaraldo215 View Post
    You need not do a new calibration unless something in the room has changed. If not, then the latest calibration tool will let you reload the old mike sweep and recalculate the filters using the higher resolutions as well as the old ones. That is all I did.

I did try 176k conversion from DSD for an extended period, and I concluded that 88k sounded slightly better. We can speculate on end as to why. There are plenty of plausible reasons. I saw no reason to try 192k. I think there is, without definitive evidence on my part, a mathematical reason to prefer the integer multiples of 44.1k. Trying176k vs. 192k? We are splitting hairs. Like camera pixels, car HP, and most all other things, we tend to think that the bigger the number, the better. T'aint necessarily so, in my opinion.
    OK. For DSD conversions I won't need the higher reolution Dirac version then. Not sure I even have 192/24 PCM (I buy downloads in 96/24), so I may not even have any use for the higher reolution. Probably will get it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by edorr View Post
    OK. For DSD conversions I won't need the higher reolution Dirac version then. Not sure I even have 192/24 PCM (I buy downloads in 96/24), so I may not even have any use for the higher reolution. Probably will get it anyway.
    AFAIK, it is a free update for Dirac licensees.

[WBF Founding Member]
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzcaraldo215 View Post
    AFAIK, it is a free update for Dirac licensees.
    Yes, I fond out. They actually asked me to beta test a VST plugin currently in beta, which would make the Dirac runtime engine obsolete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12