Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I just tried to read it Peter and got 1/3 of the way down the page before it became rapidly over my head

Mathematicians have nothing better to do than try to prove that tau is more meaningful than pi, and will go to great lengths to "prove" it. Not unlike audiophiles. This "issue" is literally so important to some that MIT will announce admissions today, pi day, at 6.28pm to please both camps. Their arguments are "grounded" in esoteric claims and proofs that closely resemble the nonsense I have been reading about Entreq and "grounding" devices.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
because we do month-day-year whereas rest of the world does day-month-year :)

Philippines is Month/Day/Year. We're also the only other country in the world along with the US that is NTSC. Go figure.

On a side note, our old country code was PI. :D

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I guess I learned two things today Gary :).

A little story which I am not sure I have told. Once a year we had a retreat at Microsoft for execs (VPs and above). Besides review of the business, we had the usual team building exercises. One of them involved a quiz and each team volunteered one person. The topic was math and I almost volunteered but "let" one of my peers go instead. At first I kicked myself as Bill Gates was the volunteer from one of the other teams and the test was who can remember most digits of Pi. I remember being very proud in high-school memorizing a dozen or so digits. So these guys get on the stage and one by one they recall the digits. They go 10 digits. 20 digits. 30 digits. I mean it was insane. I forget what the final count was but I remember it went on for many lines on the projector. Our guy came in second or third to you know who: Bill. After he beat the others he said he knew something like 10 to 12 more digits yet! Was so happy to not have embarrassed myself by volunteering. :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
it only happens once a century

It actually happens every year (3/14), but to a different number of significant figures! :p

This year it's to five figures. 3/14/15, but that isn't really correct because pi is 3.14159. . . . so actually NEXT year it will be pi to five significant figures when it is 3/14/16 due to rounding of 3.14159 to 3.1416.

Well, we can celebrate 3/14/15 at 9:26:53.59 am

I like your accuracy for this year!

WDB

Feb 15, 2012
It's funny that so many people worry about being precise in stating the value of ? but very few actually know how to pronounce the name, I'll put it this way, last Saturday at 9:26 I did not eat a slice of pie, I took a leak.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing