Step Response-Time Domain

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Stereophile likes to use the Step Response to measure speakers in the time domain. John Atkinson wrote a nice article explaining why he uses the Step Response graph. I personally like the step graph much better than the impulse graph. To me, it's much easier to read.

JA is in a good position to discuss this measurement in relation to subjective impressions because he's measured many more different speakers than anyone else I know. I'm not aware of any research (DBT) which proves or disproves the value in a "better" time domain behavior, other than it's relation to frequency domain behavior. As Floyd Toole said: frequency response is merely an inferential measurement of time response. (or something like that).

JA talked a little about his subjective impressions related to good and bad step response at 52:25.
[video]https://youtu.be/j77VKw9Kx6U?t=53m25s[/video]
I've done some measurements with REW using different DSP filters which can improve my system step response. In terms of stereo imaging, I totally agree with JA's description. The stereo image is more precise (side to side, front to back and top to bottom) and the music is more accessible to the ear.

Does anyone else have this experience after having improved the time domain response, with DSP or otherwise?

Michael.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Stereophile likes to use the Step Response to measure speakers in the time domain. John Atkinson wrote a nice article explaining why he uses the Step Response graph. I personally like the step graph much better than the impulse graph. To me, it's much easier to read.

JA is in a good position to discuss this measurement in relation to subjective impressions because he's measured many more different speakers than anyone else I know. I'm not aware of any research (DBT) which proves or disproves the value in a "better" time domain behavior, other than it's relation to frequency domain behavior. As Floyd Toole said: frequency response is merely an inferential measurement of time response. (or something like that).

JA talked a little about his subjective impressions related to good and bad step response at 52:25.
[video]https://youtu.be/j77VKw9Kx6U?t=53m25s[/video]
I've done some measurements with REW using different DSP filters which can improve my system step response. In terms of stereo imaging, I totally agree with JA's description. The stereo image is more precise (side to side, front to back and top to bottom) and the music is more accessible to the ear.

Does anyone else have this experience after having improved the time domain response, with DSP or otherwise?

Michael.

I don't do processing on analog or digital but I do have at least one pair of speakers that are the rare kind with really good step response and I enjoy the sound they create.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I think the test is revealing of the speaker design and that is the way JA is using it. I am less convinced it is a measure of perceived performance of a speaker as colorations are by far the best predictor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing