Vanessa Fernandez

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I heard Vanessa Fernandez's album called Use Me in Philip O'Hanlon's room at CES. It blew me away so when I got back home I ordered the SACD from Acoustic Sounds. I also met the producer of this album in Philip's room and he is a super nice guy and from the quality of this recording he knows what he is doing :D Oh and her voice is superb!

Last edited:

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I'm not feeling any love on this one :(

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have it...listened once...need to hear again. First impression...I thought the dynamics/extension were lacking for an audiophile record. That was with a different preamp. Will re-evaluate my conclusions with the new pre.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
45rpm vinyl sounds very nice

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
At CES I actually heard a direct comparison, in the YG room between the SACD and LP. I preferred the SACD as I felt there was more presence in her vocals.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Thanks for the tread. We recorded a track off this album at RMAF and this thread reminded us to buy the 45rpm. Will report back once it arrives from Elusive Disk.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Keep us posted on what you think about it Peter :D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm about to listen to 45 rpm side D. The first 2 or 3 songs on side A have no bass as the keybd. is the lower register. The rest of the album does. It sounds great and is musically engaging. Had I mastered it, I would have given it a bit more upper mid/treble richness. Slightly under salted from a chefs standpoint.:D

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Ok, got the LP today. Sonics 5/10, some songs real good, most ok to average. The test pressing in the Musical Surroundings room at RMAF was really wonderful. I would have added in a bass player (or turned it up). The recording is done remote, with the musicians not in the same room. Get what I'm saying?

We are playing "Get so far gone" it's the best on the record. This receives a 7/10.

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Checked out the samples and felt the album is kinda "meh". She did a nice job with "Here but I'm gone" but the original Curtis Mayfield version sounds better to me. Especially, listening to the lyrics given the circumstances when he wrote it. IMHO.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Checked out the samples and felt the album is kinda "meh". She did a nice job with "Here but I'm gone" but the original Curtis Mayfield version sounds better to me. Especially, listening to the lyrics given the circumstances when he wrote it. IMHO.

Agree. just what the world needs is another album of jazz lite cover versions from Groove Note records.

Singer songwriters are far more interesting and talented

Sharon Van Etten is one to check out

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
[video=vimeo;103705406]http://vimeo.com/103705406[/video]

why they missed this version of use me totally confused me

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing