One more room question

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, didn't get it answered in another place I asked, so trying again - If there is a square room, say 25 * 25, but the system is installed towards one end of the room, in a say, 25 * 11 rectangle, leaving the remaining 25 * 14 furnished with other furniture, will it still cause the problem that square rooms do (because, in this case, even though the room is square, the system is in a virtual rectangle at one end of the room)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But shouldn't it reflect of one wall quicker than the other, thus not creating those waves? Also in a rectangular room, if you have a system in the centre, and then move it towards one wall, away from the other, won't your sound change?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, bonzo75. My experience with doing something like this yields one speaker that is overloaded in lower registers and lower mids, whilst the other speaker tends to be lean in the same areas. You will still have the same issues as in a square room but the nulls and loading will just change locations with other issues rearing their ugly head. Especially onh spacial locational cues with the sound stage.

Tom

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The standing waves form based upon frequency and room dimensions, does not matter where you place the source. You can place a speaker in a null to help offset the null locally, but it's still there...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My main concern is that you specify a too little area for your system - you should get 15x25 for your system. 10x 25 for furniture. The 25'x25' are very large dimensions, it means that only axial modes will be of interest. If you have doubts about it read F. Toole about the the many studies on "golden" dimensions in his book "Sound Reproduction". BTW some full range dipoles can operate miracles even in critical square rooms. Will you be allowed to use bass traps in the room?

The Hunecke - I doubt you will find it googling Huneicke or Heineken - ;) http://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/room-eigenmodes.html will be of help only after you have the speakers in the room and take a few preliminary measurements, and you will have to learn how to use it and coordinate it with measurements. All IMHO, YMMV, I am not an expert.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
EQ will help bring done peaks but is of limited value if the null is from a room mode. The latter can be very deep...

It is why I think no one can risk a valid opinion without having all the details about the type of building, door cavities, windows placement type and surface, and many others.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi yes, I am planning a future move. I put these questions when I see an attractive floorplan that might have certain possible issues. Helps me keep at the back of my mind what to consider.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Speakers generally like to have a symmetrical placement, the same space and construction behind each, I would also look for a high ceiling, no domestic room will be perfect a large room will give you more options.
keith.

A large room in central London :eek:

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Bonzo, just out of curiosity are you able to take a pic of your intended room, then perhaps we could better understand it?
Or better still, send someone an email and draw up roughly the placement of your system, then let the "panel" experts help by sketching the best placement for trials.
I strongly believe as time passes by based on this initial sketch, you will find the optimal placement. And this will all be judged by YOUR ears and not some fancy gimmicks...

Just a thought, it had worked for me back in home town.
Cheers, RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing