Phono Cables with 2 ground wires!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm in the middle of looking at various turntables and noticed that one of them (Oracle Paris) has a connection for standard L/R RCA and ground wire. Does this mean that I have buy a phono cable with 2 ground wires? If not, is it better to connect a single ground wire to the turntable or the amplifier?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I'm in the middle of looking at various turntables and noticed that one of them (Oracle Paris) has a connection for standard L/R RCA and ground wire. Does this mean that I have buy a phono cable with 2 ground wires? If not, is it better to connect a single ground wire to the turntable or the amplifier?

Usually you can use a standard RCA cable (with or without ground wire) and connect the separate grounding wire using any simple cable. As the old Oracle's used an acrylic arm mount, we had to have separate grounding points and ground cables for chassis and tonearm, eventually with a third wire going to the motor. All of them connected to the the ground lug on the phono amplifier. If by any reason the motor case was connected to ground of the mains for safety reasons (not usual, but some after-market power supplies had this characteristic ), you should not connect the motor ground wire to the phono it, as it would create a ground loop injecting noise in the phono ground.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Usually you can use a standard RCA cable (with or without ground wire) and connect the separate grounding wire using any simple cable. As the old Oracle's used an acrylic arm mount, we had to have separate grounding points and ground cables for chassis and tonearm, eventually with a third wire going to the motor. All of them connected to the the ground lug on the phono amplifier. If by any reason the motor case was connected to ground of the mains for safety reasons (not usual, but some after-market power supplies had this characteristic ), you should not connect the motor ground wire to the phono it, as it would create a ground loop injecting noise in the phono ground.

With respect...thanks for the history lesson on the old Oracle's, and I do appreciate that. However, what should I do with the new Oracle and my amp? i.e. ...can I ignore the ground wire connection on the Oracle and use just a standard phono cable with the ground connection at the amp?

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
I think it is just a design choice. My VPI has a junction box with the L/R RCA connections and a ground connector. My TTW GEM does not. The phono cable should have one ground which can be connected either to the turntable ground or the phono pre. If you have hum, then you can try to connect the turntable ground via a separate ground wire to the phono pre. Ground loops and/or hum are problems that can be infuriatingly difficult to fix. With my VPI, I had to use one specific pair of phono cables, as I got a hum with others. For the TTW, I found that no matter what I tried, I couldn't get rid of a hum when using one cartridge. Other cartridges play fine with it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks Steve! You too Micro!:)

Another question....damn, I thought connecting a TT was simple.

If I order a phono cable with 2 ground wires and connect both ground wires....will that represent an issue? My initial thought was to connect the ground to the amp only.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
With respect...thanks for the history lesson on the old Oracle's, and I do appreciate that. However, what should I do with the new Oracle and my amp? i.e. ...can I ignore the ground wire connection on the Oracle and use just a standard phono cable with the ground connection at the amp?

I hope not - it was a poor practice used by Thorens in the 60's - using the right cable shield as an arm ground wire. IMHO in the new Paris the separate ground wire is mandatory. Some dedicated RCA to RCA phono cables, such as Kimber KS116 already have a separate ground wire in the cable harness. But I never owned a recent Oracle Paris.

BTW, just found that the green ground wire is shown in the Oracle Paris manual.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I hope not - it was a poor practice used by Thorens in the 60's - using the right cable shield as an arm ground wire. IMHO in the new Paris the separate ground wire is mandatory. Some dedicated RCA to RCA phono cables, such as Kimber KS116 already have a separate ground wire in the cable harness. But I never owned a recent Oracle Paris.

BTW, just found that the green ground wire is shown in the Oracle Paris manual.

Ok...if I decide to go with the Oracle Paris as my next TT I will order a dual-grounded phono cable (ground at TT and amp) and connect them at both ends.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing