Looking for new "budget" speakers - ELAC FS247,248,249????

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi people,

I am looking for some nice speakers with a budget of 3999-7999 AUD. I been looking at ELAC FS 247, FS248 or FS249. The ELAC FS 249 sound very close to what I want. Wonder if anyone has any experience with ELAC's. What would you choose without going to a very high price. You can squeeze a few dollars from the dealer when you know exactly what you want! Consider that ELAC's are comming with 10 years warranty.

Your input is much appreciated.

Went to Europe and saw lots on CANTON speakers but I think ELAC are a touch better. Am I right?

Cheers,

Eugen

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I strongly recommend that anyone looking for high value high end speakers take a look at Bache Audio which is based in Brooklyn, NY.

I am a long term (10+ years) Merlin owner who just replaced my VSM’s (VSM-mme with custom Master Bam and Master RC’s) with a pair of Bache Audio Metro 001’s. I can say without hesitation that the Bache Metro 001’s are superior to the Merlins. The Metro 001’s have more accurate and natural timbre and tonality, and are the Merlins' equal in imaging and soundstaging. The 001’s provide more bass depth and heft, the highs are sweeter, and overall they are more forgiving and sound better with a broader range of recordings than the Merlins. My VSM’s sounded great with great recordings, but as several reviewers noted over the years, they are "ruthlessly revealing". I found that I was listening to less of my music collection with the VSM’s because they seemed to highlight the flaws in less than stellar recordings, and were slightly bright overall. The VSM’s are likely a touch more resolving, particularly in the highs, but nothing is missing when I listen to the Bache speakers, and I listen longer without fatigue and enjoy my listening more with the Metro 001’s.

Greg Belman of Bache Audio was great to deal with. I was able to talk with him about the design of the Metro 001’s before he built them, and ended up ordering the optional cabinet (3/4" thick bamboo instead of mdf), and the higher end Audyn True Copper Max crossover capacitors that he uses in his top of the line model. I picked up the speakers in person at his shop in Brooklyn, and was able to listen to them before he boxed them and put them in my car.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing