Shunyata Sigma Digital Power Cord Review

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting question...i plugged it into a power conditioner of 'top tier repute'...not necessarily a beast but was certainly supposed to be able to handle it. I admit, it had a nice sound, even a bit cleaner...after 4 weeks, the socket in the power conditioner actually melted. i have put it straight into the wall ever since, and the dealer allowed me to trade the melted unit back in for another power conditioner which i used for the source components. Note: this was with my old Antileon amp many years ago, and i definitely have never plugged the Colosseum into anything but the wall. Today, it is plugged into a special dedicated high-voltage line with the following outlet...the powercable had to be reterminated as well:

View attachment 29072

You may recognize these from the Boulder amps which use these as standard on their 2000 and 3000 series amps.

So, you had an electrician instal a high voltage (30a) line? And that outlet on it?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So, you had an electrician instal a high voltage (30a) line? And that outlet on it?

Yes, that is correct...it was his recommendation for the amp. They are electricians, but specialize in professional studios and home studios for recording artists.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, that is correct...it was his recommendation for the amp. They are electricians, but specialize in professional studios and home studios for recording artists.

Awesome. Will get contact off you sometime. I am aware of the 30a but the 30a comes through only if there is no 13/15a fuse. The boulder 2160 came through a 15a outlet

panoyski

Aug 4, 2017
Hello, guys. Newly accepted member here. I would like to ask your thoughts on whether to go for a Sigma Analog PC or an Anaconda IC. As you all know they're priced almost the same, and I can afford only one. The Sigma will be for my Cavalli Liquid Carbon headphone amp and the the Anaconda will be between the amp and DAC (Chord 2Qute). I know,,,, the cables' prices are more than the components' they will be connected to, but I will be gradually upgrading them to the very best that I can afford. I also wanted to have the very best cables now, as I am not planning to buy another, ever. My headphones are the HiFiMan HE1000 with stock cables.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Welcome Panoyski... I'd be going for the pc first. I put Shunyata pcs on my violectric and also a microzotl headphone amp used as pre and the impact of the power cables in this setup was by far the most significant improvement.

By comparison improving ICs can always potentially pay nice dividends but even more so once the power was sorted. If you then get some more modest but still good ICs you could then try adding entreq wraps around the signal connectors for a nice and very cost effective step up on even relatively mid tier signal cables.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How is the microzotl, any compares to more expensive pre amps?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
How is the microzotl, any compares to more expensive pre amps?

Ked, Will avoid taking the thread too far off topic but very briefly would put it on a shortlist of great preamps @ under $8k which makes it something of a bargain. Definitely OTL characteristics in nature, definitely needs a linear PSU over the switch mode version, and theres plenty of great fun rolling into NOS with its tube types. Paired it with a few different amps but extra wonderful step up when having it in front of the Line Magnetic 219ia (which is 845/300B SET)... so possible killer SET combos as it takes out the fat but leaves all the joy. Also nice with good mosfet if you swing the SS way. Not so much (for me) with their own Microzotl amps (just too much of a OTL lean thing for the slightly more fleshy balance I enjoy).

panoyski

Aug 4, 2017
Welcome Panoyski... I'd be going for the pc first. I put Shunyata pcs on my violectric and also a microzotl headphone amp used as pre and the impact of the power cables in this setup was by far the most significant improvement.

By comparison improving ICs can always potentially pay nice dividends but even more so once the power was sorted. If you then get some more modest but still good ICs you could then try adding entreq wraps around the signal connectors for a nice and very cost effective step up on even relatively mid tier signal cables.

Thanks for the reply. I will then go for the PC first. Pretty excited to hear the sonic improvements once it's in the system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, Will avoid taking the thread too far off topic but very briefly would put it on a shortlist of great preamps @ under $8k which makes it something of a bargain. Definitely OTL characteristics in nature, definitely needs a linear PSU over the switch mode version, and theres plenty of great fun rolling into NOS with its tube types. Paired it with a few different amps but extra wonderful step up when having it in front of the Line Magnetic 219ia (which is 845/300B SET)... so possible killer SET combos as it takes out the fat but leaves all the joy. Also nice with good mosfet if you swing the SS way. Not so much (for me) with their own Microzotl amps (just too much of a OTL lean thing for the slightly more fleshy balance I enjoy).

Cheers, good to know

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
Looks like there is experience here with the Sigmas and Alphas, so if I were to go for one and/or the other (piece by piece), which should I choose for the following system:

- PS Audio Powerbase
- PS Audio P5 Regenerator
- PS Audio Directstream dac
- Oppo 203 (with Vanity HD card soon)
- ATC SCM 19A speakers (powered towers)
(- IC to speakers is MG Audio Design AG2V2
- Oppo to DSD via Snake River s/pdif)

Thanks,

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Received two new Sigma NR, for my Denali 6000 T and my AR Ref 5 SE. Again, congratulations Caelin.
I make a suggestion and a question.
The suggestion is the possibility of manufacturing a model 6000 in which the six outputs were CCI. In my case, four are not enough and I would not mind connecting my amplifier to a 2000T.
The question is about the possibility of commercialization of the DC Offset filter prototype, is there any news on that?

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
Noted that Caelin recommended a couple years ago the Shunyata Sigma Digital power cord on music servers and DACs, and the Sigma Analogs on medium powered amplifiers.

I wonder now that the Alpha and Sigma NR PCs have been introduced if Caelin would make changes in his recommendations. And if running a system through a Triton power conditioner would change his recommendations.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing