Cable burn-in: Is it real or imagined?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The break-in period of a cable is the time it takes for you to get used to what your system sounds like--real or imagined.

If you have two identical cables, one "broken in" and one not, you would not reliably tell the difference.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
The break-in period of a cable is the time it takes for you to get used to what your system sounds like--real or imagined.

If you have two identical cables, one "broken in" and one not, you would not reliably tell the difference.

Don't most makers of quality cables use a cable burner to precondition their cables before delivery? I know that my friend who makes cables for a living is extremely OCD about that. After that, minimal differences may occur, but only minor ones. At least, that's what I have noticed here.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I received a Shunyata Sigma Digital cable Thursday night, placed it on my Oppo 103, and turned the Oppo on to start burn in. Friday night I watched my two Blueray reference movies (Avatar, Terminator 3) to check for any difference between the new Sigma and the Alpha Digital it replaced. Initial impression after 24 hours of burn in is that blue is over emphasized. This was especially apparent on Avatar, since the Navi are blue. Soon I will check again to see if another 24 hours has improved the color balance.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Amen,

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

and you know this because.......????

now if you wrote "if I have two identical cables"......then it's possible for you to know that. but you have no clue what difference I could reliably tell as far as one 'broken in' and one not.

maybe you have a Cable Cooker too, and you've done many dozens of cable break-in processes over a number of years? if so, tell us about how that went and how you never could reliably tell the difference.

Last edited:

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Hi Mike, For those of us that have not used or heard what a cable cooker does, can you try to explain the difference you hear before and after? I wonder what type of signal they send through the cable, and at what intensity as well?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Yep agree 100%...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike, For those of us that have not used or heard what a cable cooker does, can you try to explain the difference you hear before and after? I wonder what type of signal they send through the cable, and at what intensity as well?

you can read what is explained on the Cable Cooker website regarding the technical details. it basically runs an ultrasonic signal up to 1 watt thru interconnects, and an ultrasonic signal up to 22 watts thru speaker and power cables.

as far as what is heard, my first point would be what Jack said about knowing your own system and sensitivity to changes and experience recognizing them;

IMO you hear smaller and smaller difference if YOU are IN TUNE with your system :) Place me in an unfamiliar room and system and I will have nothing but guesses as to what is doing what. In my own system I can immediately tell new vs burned in. Then again it's easy when you have your own cables and routinely check new cables for pre-delivery inspection.

as far as specific things to listen for I'd say a few different things which are subtle individually but jump out collectively; noise floor, micro dynamics, refinement, airiness on top, body, and liveliness. basically the overall ease and feel of the music. the degree it breathes.

maybe the easier read is when the cables stop constipating and closing in the sound. it's the transition to greater degrees of openness and ease and agility that is the primary change and that is made up of a bunch of individual things. obviously the higher the capabilities of these areas of your system the more restrictions are perceived. new cables can have higher information but stifle the flow to begin with.

as far as people perceiving extended times for break in it mostly has to do with the agility and degree of harmonious flow. the jump and snap factor so to speak. is there a human component to that? everyone has a right to their own opinion about it.

I have my 20-30 go-to reference cuts I always use to check out system performance. I've used them for 10+ years many hundreds of times with any changes.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but isn't having a Cable Cooker the ultimate sign of impatience. After all, with time on the system the cables will accomplish that on their own.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but isn't having a Cable Cooker the ultimate sign of impatience. After all, with time on the system the cables will accomplish that on their own.

my opinion based on my experience is that the Cable Cooker will take the cables to a higher point ultimately than music break in alone. how much higher? likely not very much.....but at least some ways.

and when you consider running your system for a week or two continuously for cable break-in there is a downside to that too.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I received a Shunyata Sigma Digital cable Thursday night, placed it on my Oppo 103, and turned the Oppo on to start burn in. Friday night I watched my two Blueray reference movies (Avatar, Terminator 3) to check for any difference between the new Sigma and the Alpha Digital it replaced. Initial impression after 24 hours of burn in is that blue is over emphasized. This was especially apparent on Avatar, since the Navi are blue. Soon I will check again to see if another 24 hours has improved the color balance.

There is an immediate audible difference between the Alpha Digital and the newer Sigma Digital IMO even before burn in

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
my opinion based on my experience is that the Cable Cooker will take the cables to a higher point ultimately than music break in alone. how much higher? likely not very much.....but at least some ways.

and when you consider running your system for a week or two continuously for cable break-in there is a downside to that too.

Just to be clear...I value your opinion greatly Mike. I guess for me I'm not willing to spend the time or the resources to obtain that last bit of information I can out of my system. I'm also not convinced that my hearing is up to the task of differentiating those small degrees of improvement.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Just to be clear...I value your opinion greatly Mike. I guess for me I'm not willing to spend the time or the resources to obtain that last bit of information I can out of my system. I'm also not convinced that my hearing is up to the task of differentiating those small degrees of improvement.

there is no doubt that pursuing the last bit of anything involves considerable commitment. and motivation to even care about it. at this point I'm all in.

if it's fun to do it, and important enough, then do it. or not. there is no right or wrong to it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
there is no doubt that pursuing the last bit of anything involves considerable commitment. and motivation to even care about it. at this point I'm all in.

if it's fun to do it, and important enough, then do it. or not. there is no right or wrong to it.

+1. ............................time to play some music now! :D

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
well hear is a question that has bothered me for quite a while

Does a "burned in cable have a memory such that after the manufacturer burns in a 100 hours before sending it to the end user that little if any further burn in is required. Does the cable not change somehow when the cable is wound in a box as compared to being straight during the burn in . It does seem to take a few days in my system whenever a cable is removed and then reinserted that there are several days required for it to anneal before it sounds right again

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
you can read what is explained on the Cable Cooker website regarding the technical details. it basically runs an ultrasonic signal up to 1 watt thru interconnects, and an ultrasonic signal up to 22 watts thru speaker and power cables.

as far as what is heard, my first point would be what Jack said about knowing your own system and sensitivity to changes and experience recognizing them;

as far as specific things to listen for I'd say a few different things which are subtle individually but jump out collectively; noise floor, micro dynamics, refinement, airiness on top, body, and liveliness. basically the overall ease and feel of the music. the degree it breathes.

maybe the easier read is when the cables stop constipating and closing in the sound. it's the transition to greater degrees of openness and ease and agility that is the primary change and that is made up of a bunch of individual things. obviously the higher the capabilities of these areas of your system the more restrictions are perceived. new cables can have higher information but stifle the flow to begin with.

as far as people perceiving extended times for break in it mostly has to do with the agility and degree of harmonious flow. the jump and snap factor so to speak. is there a human component to that? everyone has a right to their own opinion about it.

I have my 20-30 go-to reference cuts I always use to check out system performance. I've used them for 10+ years many hundreds of times with any changes.

The word I use in place of constipation is constriction. I guess it applies for "both" scenarios. LOL.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Have a couple of conductor cables wrapped with a dielectric material and you have what is basically a capacitor.

Run some current through these conductor cables - and the dielectric material surrounding the conductors gets "charged"

Leave these conductors alone for a week, and the surrounding dielectric materials will lose some of its charge.

And you still dunno what physical parameter to measure?

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Have a couple of conductor cables wrapped with a dielectric material and you have what is basically a capacitor.
Run some current through these conductor cables - and the dielectric material surrounding the conductors gets "charged"
Leave these conductors alone for a week, and the surrounding dielectric materials will lose some of its charge.
And you still dunno what physical parameter to measure?
That only works with DC current.

And then only under open circuit conditions.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

It varies with the cable, some have very defined and easily heard break-in others are much more subtle. Some cables and connectors (Furutech rhodium especially) go on a roller coaster ride during break in where they change from dark and closed-in to more normal sounding and back...

Break in happens between the conductor and dielectric, and possibly between conductor and plating as well, so the more surface area you have the more discernible break-in will be. It is also more audible in speaker cables vs ICs. The speaker cables I make with litz wire contains 2120 individually insulated 44g wires per cable, and I can say break-in is easily heard, the first couple hours sound like something is broken in your system... this is not subtle at all.

If you buy new cables they should be somewhat broken-in... I always give 3 days + on an Audiodharma Cable Cooker.

Break-in on components in usually very obvious too. New components sound pretty bad for at least the first few hours.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
well hear is a question that has bothered me for quite a while

Does a "burned in cable have a memory such that after the manufacturer burns in a 100 hours before sending it to the end user that little if any further burn in is required. Does the cable not change somehow when the cable is wound in a box as compared to being straight during the burn in . It does seem to take a few days in my system whenever a cable is removed and then reinserted that there are several days required for it to anneal before it sounds right again

Yes, if you move a cable it can take from a few hours to a few days to settle down again. When shipping a fully burnt-in cable I have found it has a bit of harshness or edge to it for a few hours that is very obvious. However, it doesn't take nearly as long to re-break-in as it did when new, usually not longer than a couple days.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing