Ronm1's roamings and wanderings

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
My rift on the endless Hires audibility issue
Whenever I spin a Hires disc, one of the first things I notice is that the noise floor is usually lower than a typical redbook disc. This increase in signal to noise ratio certainly should allow any data improvement to be heard. This just makes logical sense to me and on most discs when I can compare it certainly appears that way to my ears.
A few examples though I admit to not listening to them in awhile
The DVDA of David Crosby's IICORMN and the DVDA of the Doors especially the later lps's to name few.
Keep in mind that the above releases did include a RB disc. So comparison was simple enough. I'll also mention, That the cd version with the doors DVDA releases were worlds above the atrocious original releases. Those weren't even good enough to play frisbee with ones dog.
I realize that I don't have uber h/w but I will qualify this somewhat as I've posted in other threads that I have spent some time and $'s on the room. Treatments and power. Music comes from blackness. Once this was reasonably accomplished my need for uber H/w was not an absolute necessity. Those $'s were just an attempt to overcome room deficiencies.
I should add that the Doors CDs I disliked were the original cd releases not the box set released before Perception

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Picked up a few new disc's
One is Musica Nuda
While I like their musicianship I can't stand her singing. Sounds like Yoko on a good day. That's far from a complement.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Another new one

Essential Guitar masterpieces
2 disc compilation from Decca
I have a number of the actual lp's/disc

A steal

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Time Changes - Dave Brubeck Quartet
Typical well done Brubeck except 'Elementals'. Worth the price of admission just for that track!!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
A couple more

Though these are a few months old

Bring it Back - Catherine Russell
This is a gem. JazzVillage label

Build me up from Bones - Sarah Jarosz
Another Berkeley student makes good

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Picked up a few new disc's
One is Musica Nuda
While I like their musicianship I can't stand her singing. Sounds like Yoko on a good day. That's far from a complement.
Is this what we are talking

If so, yes, that is wonderful cello. I don't know that she is as bad as Yoko (is any singer?) but for sure her silly style takes over an otherwise well done solo instrumental.

What is the specific CD to acquire?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Is this what we are talking
Yes and I agree their playing is quite good. Her singing is just grating to my ears.
What is the specific CD to acquire?
Self titled with their individual names listed. It includes that version from their video you posted. Though I think there maybe another cd title available.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I spun these today, haven't played them in awhile.
Superb performances and sonics are top shelf. I'm quite sure I first heard cuts from both of these from a demo disc that was floating around. MBL I think.

Paganini for Two - Shaham * Sollscher
Guitar, Violin
They also have a Schubert disc that is just as good DG

Rossini Sonate per Archi - NBK:Erxleben 2 disc

These are RB not HiRes but sound great not new the Pag is from 92/93 Rossini from 99

Highly, very highly recommended

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Another old disc I spun yesterday

Passé Avant - Jacqui McShee's Pentangle

Being a big fan of the original group and a picking folkie myself I was wondering how they would manage without Jansch and Renbourn. While they are still true to their updated take on traditional classics. There does seem to be a more contemporary bent to their arrangements. JM's works well as usual she doesn't seem to lose anything somewhat like Baez that way. Sonics are excellent I have the RB disc though I believe there is a DVDA version.
Thumbs up

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
image.jpg

Son did a downtown fundraiser

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Wow. That crackling must have been amazing. I keep teasing my wife that one of these days I will barbeque a whole hog.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ron, I have to tell you I am enjoying reading your blog
Glad it's not boring to you!!
That was one of those farm to table seatings that have become popular. At least around here.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ian Matthews. Collected

3 cd compilation over decades.
From before Fairport Convention to around 09 timeframe.
I could be off on correct time as the compilation is dated as 2011
There is quite a mix of styles here but the voice and harmonies are always top shelf
As a simple ex who would ever think that a song about Randolph Scott could be so jazzy and funky :)
Recommended

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Haven't posted in awhile though I've picked quite a few discs. I'll try to catch on most later but one I will mention now is

Hallmark Sessions - Lenny Breau

Interesting talent he plays fingerstyle and uses a 7 string guitar.
Original release was '61
Just guitar, bass, percussion.
An interesting FYI is that the supporting players are Rick Danko and Levon Helms
I should add that most tracks are solo.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Glad it's not boring to you!!
That was one of those farm to table seating's that have become popular. At least around here.
Ohhhhhhhh, that looks good. Pig pickin's are somewhat common around here, if you know the right folks. I don't care how you slice it, that there is the best tastin' pig one can set their taste buds on. No knife needed, just a ladle or a large spoon. Just wanted to chime in and say that I too am enjoying your blog. *off to go grill something a little less spectacular*

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
LOL! Nice one! :D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I thought I would post my A vs D ramblings here rather than muck up the poll thread.
Like most I'm sure I started out with vinyl, mid to late sixties. Slowly built up decent h/w and eventually added a CD player in early 80's. Till early 2K I was a bi imbiber, depending on what was available. Around '02-'03, HT/mch/hires became an interest. Without the luxury of a separate room it became an integrated ht/2ch system. Vinyl had to take a backseat then and I also worked on the room(power, grounding, treatments) you guys know the drill. Results were very pleasing, room fr was now pretty well balanced IOHO and noise extremely low essentially non-existent. Music and sound came from blackness. Excellent. At some point I added a TT back in, sounded great, but, on one of my serious listening sessions with vinyl I now heard something I didn't remember or at least now was quite irritating. I'll call it groove/stylus noise. I suspect that it was always their before but now was front and center. I tried diff Tt's, carts, etc...did not matter. Interestly enough it didn't bother anyone else in the family, just me. Even stranger when I would visit audio buds at there homes I could also hear it in their systems. Irritating is an understatement. Except the one that had an ELP. Course it had other quirks. And it had to be the stylus in a spinning groove, as an ex on a test record that had blank sections for setting up antiskate, nothing remotely heard if anything at all. So there it is, vinyl is off the plate, but not for the proverbial pops and ticks. Still have thousands of lp's and TT's in storage. Who knows someday My irritation or sensitivity may change.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing