Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Impressive my friend, truly impressive! And if I know you every LP and CD has been spinned at least once.

That I have Marty!, that I have! :)

You were thinking about buying LPs I am sure. I think you started early.

Just found your corner John, great stuff.

I likely was and started in 1967 when I bought my first album ....Beatles '65 (still have it).

Kinda forgot about this thread. Thanks for dropping by and I'll see about making more regular posts.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Where do you find all the wonderful vinyl you have?
The vast majority were individual purchases at a few shops in Montreal. I used to drive to a place called Phantasmagoria in downtown Montreal every Saturday morning and I'd spend hours in there....always leaving with multiple new releases. Bought almost nothing between about 1985-2000 and then started buying some used vinyl. Once the vinyl resurgence started I was back at buying new releases and reissues. It's been a fun journey! :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This is one heck of a fun thread. I had forgotten my own posts in it until I ran into them. :D
Thanks Amir! I just read the whole thread and yeah.....good fun. Need to further my contributions again!

Thanks to Recordsguy for bringing it back to life!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
John, you may want to edit the title of the thread. I thought the thread was about Jonathan Valin aka JV not Johnny Vinyl.

I thought that too!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Say, what is that Montreal spice you referenced in a couple of recipes?
Montreal Steak Spice. Here's a pic of the Orginal one, but others make it as well.

Montreal Steak Spice.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Hi R! About 3,000 LPs. Maybe 150-200 CDs.
Interestingly JV I have about 2-3K worth of lp's and haven't bought s single one since the late 80's. Around 3k in disc's now (cd,SACD, DVDA)
Lp's are now split between sons who are slowly selling them off to collectors. Usually for the covers and vinyl care.
Another FYI some are being loaned out to their friends who are into vinyl and are shocked at the quality care the lp's are in.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Are you a complete digital convert? What was the reason for the turnabout?

Interestingly JV I have about 2-3K worth of lp's and haven't bought s single one since the late 80's. Around 3k in disc's now (cd,SACD, DVDA)
Lp's are now split between sons who are slowly selling them off to collectors. Usually for the covers and vinyl care.
Another FYI some are being loaned out to their friends who are into vinyl and are shocked at the quality care the lp's are in.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm readying a laptop by cleaning it out, so I can give it to my girlfriend who's MacBook just bit the dust. Glad I did as I had hundreds of pics on it. Found a few pics of my very first audiophile-type turntable, a Revolver Red with Jelco arm. I was still using it up to about 5-6 years ago and still have it. Been toying with the idea of bringing it back, but I need a new belt and would want to bring it in for service, just to make sure it's still up to snuff. I'd probably add the same cartridge as shown in the pic (Grado Ref Platinum) and use it for some old LP's who's condition may not be as I would like or just for a different flavour in sound.

021.JPG 024.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Done doing my prep for tonight's Honey Garlic Chicken drumsticks and Chips. Fresh Caesar Salad on the side.

BBQ Chicken Drumsticks and Chips.JPG

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Looks good! Definitely put up a few pics when the cooking is done!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing