JV's Ramblings and other such nonsense!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ever since this sub-forum was created I tried to think of what I would say or post, and came up empty-minded. For fear of thinking more (don't want to distort my brain anymore than what it already is) I decided to create this thread using my normal "fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants" outlook and lifestyle...although I probably should know better. I'll stay within the rules and wont post anything that touches on politics or religion, unless Christian baits me. :p

So, here we go.....well...with the next post anyway.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Elvis Presley - Elvis Commemorative Album ( 2LP -RCA U.S.)

This a limited edition pressing by the RCA Special Products Division for Brookville Marketing Corporation out of NYC, N.Y. I obtained it somewhere around the late 70's while attending a publishing convention at the Fontainblue Hotel in Miami. I worked for the marketing/newsstand circulation department of The Hearst Corporation and one of the magazines we represented (Soap Opera Digest) gave all of us (about 150 sales/marketing guys/gals) a copy of this.

I've played it maybe 10 times in total as I was never much of an Elvis fan, but I came across it this morning and voila...here it is. It's actually quite nice and I may have to reconsider my view on Elvis as a non-fan. I'm thinking this old dog can still be open to a new trick or two. I'm really quite enjoying it.

Elvis Presley - Elvis Commemorative Album.jpg

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
John, you may want to edit the title of the thread. I thought the thread was about Jonathan Valin aka JV not Johnny Vinyl.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Elvis Presley - Elvis Commemorative Album ( 2LP -RCA U.S.)

This a limited edition pressing by the RCA Special Products Division for Brookville Marketing Corporation out of NYC, N.Y. I obtained it somewhere around the late 70's while attending a publishing convention at the Fontainblue Hotel in Miami. I worked for the marketing/newsstand circulation department of The Hearst Corporation and one of the magazines we represented (Soap Opera Digest) gave all of us (about 150 sales/marketing guys/gals) a copy of this.

I've played it maybe 10 times in total as I was never much of an Elvis fan, but I came across it this morning and voila...here it is. It's actually quite nice and I may have to reconsider my view on Elvis as a non-fan. I'm thinking this old dog can still be open to a new trick or two. I'm really quite enjoying it.

View attachment 17622

Awesome! if you ever get tired of it I'll gladly take it off your hands :)

When are you planning on departing to Calgary.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John, you may want to edit the title of the thread. I thought the thread was about Jonathan Valin aka JV not Johnny Vinyl.

I'm claiming JV rights in this sub-forum! Besides, have you seen Jonathan? I'm prettier!:p

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Awesome! if you ever get tired of it I'll gladly take it off your hands :)

When are you planning on departing to Calgary.

I doubt I'll get rid of it, unless of course you have something interesting to offer up.

The plan is to depart in early-mid December.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Elephant Camel.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Playback: From the Victrola to MP3, 100 Years of Music, Machines, and Money

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0306813904/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

I picked this up for $2 at a Charity Book and Record Fair a few weeks back and am about halfway through it. It's a really easy and interesting read.

Playback.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

I did a comparison yesterday between my UK Harvest A3/B3 pressing and the MFSL reissue I only recently acquired. The condition of both pressings are equal and I would conservatively rate them VG++/EX as they both contain the odd tick here and there.

IMO this wasn't even close. The A3/B3 pressing was superior in every regard. The MFSL sounded significantly veiled in comparison. While still very good and extremely quiet, it didn't demonstrate the same atmosphere of youthful exhuberance that must have been present during this recording session. The energy was missing.

My point of view. YMMV

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My favourite song from Led Zeppelin - In Through The Out Door

If anyone has a Classic Records reissue copy of this they want to part with...let me know.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The perfectly cooked RARE Tenderloin steak. Let it rest people, let it rest. Result is no leeching of all important internal juices.

And yes, it's mine and I can duplicate it blindfolded every time.

IMG_0210.JPG

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Mr. Jones / Me & Mr.Jones / Me & Mrs. Jones

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Music is life.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You left out Ms. Jones Johnny, Miss Amanda Jones. :D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Wow, that is perfect enough to be in the ad from Beef Council :). Well done! OK, "rare" done. :D

That steak was probably about 1.5" thick. Pan-fried in Peanut Oil on med-high heat (7-8) for 2 minutes per side. A little Montreal Steak Spice on both sides. Let it rest for between 5-10 minutes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing