Tim's pick of the day....

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/spread-it-heavy/id914179224

"Spread it Heavy" -- Porch 40

From quiet to...not. I don't know how to categorize Porch 40. Post modern Funk? Deep groove rock? Whatever, the energy and musicianship are high, the writing is clever, inventive and fun, and the recording is clear as a bell. I can't tell if it's loud. The relentless groove doesn't leave room for a lot of dynamics, so I'll leave that to someone who measures such things.

A private release currently available on Spotify, iTunes and at porch 40 shows, which are highly recommended if you can handle the party. If not, put it in your earbuds at the gym. You'll get your best cardio in months!

Full disclosure: The bass player is my friend and bandmate's son.

Tim

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a sucker for raunchy funk bass lines. :D

I like it Tim, reminds me of early Jamiroquai. Singer even sounds a bit like Jay Kay.

Amir, Peter, you guys must really be allergic to apples. Tim's link is a browser based, no need for iTunes. :)

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
You never know where this stuff is going to come from. These kids come out of a small college in the mountains of NC, where they've taken the clubs in that region by storm. They've also played an opener at hard rock in Vegas, and have some gigs coming up in Atlanta. All that pretty much came out of nowhere fast. This first CD was just released, and like I said, it's a self-published effort, but it sounds so good, and they are so good live, I've no doubt they'll get signed soon.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir, Peter, you guys must really be allergic to apples. Tim's link is a browser based, no need for iTunes. :)
I know that Jack :). But when you go to that page there seems to be no obvious way to preview things. I am sure there is a way but I can only stand the smell of Apple's for so long. :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hahahahhahaha! Yup non-iTunes user indeed! When you point your cursor on the title, the play button appears in place of the track number. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing