Amir's Audio, Video, Technology, etc. Blog

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Summer is music discovery time for me. Why? My favorite dance show, So You Think You Can Dance is on and there is where I find a lot of the modern music that I like. I think (but not sure) this is where I discovered the UK band, The xx. The album name you guessed it, is XX :). It is modernistic, alternative pop.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=as2&tag=whabesfor-20&linkId=CCUKWQNA2JWBIOGN

Here are some of the tracks I like:

To be honest, I am not a fan of the whole album but I would say half of them are good which for $10 is not so bad.

Fidelity is very good for a pop band on a budget. No reference quality album but very clean and rather dynamic. The Stars track is especially good with powerful bass notes.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/spread-it-heavy/id914179224

"Spread it Heavy" -- Porch 40

From quiet to...not. I don't know how to categorize Porch 40. Post modern Funk? Deep groove rock? Whatever, the energy and musicianship are high, the writing is clever, inventive and fun, and the recording is clear as a bell. I can't tell if it's loud. The relentless groove doesn't leave room for a lot of dynamics, so I'll leave that to someone who measures such things.

A private release currently available on Spotify, iTunes and at porch 40 shows, which are highly recommended if you can handle the party. If not, put it in your earbuds at the gym. You'll get your best cardio in months!

Full disclosure: The bass player is my friend and bandmate's son.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Lovely music going with the trailer of the FX channel's American Horror Stories: Freak Show. Track is "CAROUSEL" by Melanie Martinez

Alas, quick search on Amazon only shows an MP3 for sale :(.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just watched this nice PBS (US public TV, kind of like UK's BBC) documentary in memory of Robin Williams. Great insight into the man and his career. Sad reminder that he is no longer with us.

I suspect this may not work for those of you outside of US but for the rest, here is the link to the video:

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365316898/

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
"Rising Star" is one of the worst produced TV reality singing shows I have seen. The judges are lame. The "talent" is often without that. The whole format with scoring and playing to a video wall is purely dumb. Really amature hour stuff. But out of that pile of you know what, there is this gem: the 20 year old Jesse Kinch. Check out this cover of Michael Jackson "Billie Jean." For a new talent to match the appeal of a legendary song is tough enough. Being able to outdo it as I think he does, is remarkable. Wonderful creativity:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There are three types of people when it comes to math:

1. Those who understand it and get it.

2. And those who don't!

:)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't like half the people they have on America Got Talent but occasionally they do pick the right talent. Emily West was my favorite and finished as #2 (lost to a magician). She does a cover of Sia's Chandelier which I dare say was better than the original. NBC production crew which usually does a lousy job on this show, pulled a superb one in this case, with beautiful clothing, story (singer from 50s and 60s) and wonderful strings. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did:

May want to hit the Youtube button, select HD and watch it full size.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This one is for Carol!

No the cats are not that cute. It is all special effects, make up, clothing, etc....

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Completing the AGT series, this was my other favorite act that made it to finals (?). Great Radiohead track and beautiful lady and lovely transitions make this piece:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So we had both of our puppies (a male and a female) fixed recently. But I can't help not remembering this cartoon from the New Yorker Magazine, everytime I look at the poor "guy:"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, this is a cute experiment on how Cortana (Microsoft's vocal assistant) answers some fun questions:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Discovered Ingrid Michaelson when she was getting her start a few years ago. She has matured quite a bit since her early starts. I can listen to every song, on every album and enjoy them all. This is a lovely tune with collaboration with A Great Big World. Just lovely:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing