My Review of the Genesis G7c Loudspeakers

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
While I don't own the 7c, I do own the 7f and I couldn't agree more with this paragraph I pulled from your review:

One of the things I really liked about the G7c is the fact it sounded just as engaging at whisper quiet volumes, as well as at near realistic levels. During the review period, I found myself often listening to the system very quietly for up to half an hour before bedtime, and being quite pleased at how the coherent the music sounded.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks for this review, Andre. Unfortunately, my designs are not forgiving. You'll hear everything, warts and all, in the entire recording chain.

I have had dozens of stand-mounted monitors come through my listening systems, but none have offered this much resolution, immaculate imaging, and precision as the G7c. Other speakers have been more forgiving, and matched the G7c for coherence, but none have allowed me to peer into to a recording as deeply.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for this review, Andre. Unfortunately, my designs are not forgiving. You'll hear everything, warts and all, in the entire recording chain.

Coming from a warm speaker it took me a while to get used to this, but now I would never give that up. I want to hear what my recordings are capable of delivering. The 7's bring that out in spades!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
While I don't own the 7c, I do own the 7f and I couldn't agree more with this paragraph I pulled from your review:

Hi JV:

Thanks for reading. Yes, many speakers, even very good ones, sometimes have a SPL "sweetspot", and seem to fall apart at volume extremes. Not so here.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Yes, absolutely. But your neat trick is to make this characteristic a huge plus, and not fatiguing. :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, absolutely. But your neat trick is to make this characteristic a huge plus, and not fatiguing. :D

+1...VERY tough. I think the last 2 generations of equipment generally have really pushed the detail, accuracy thing...all told, a good thing imho. But there have sometimes been some side-steps made in achieving this one singular goal. I would say more recently, I have found many of those designers, including some new ones, have managed to generate this level of detail, low noise floor, revealing nature...without fatigue...if anything, there is LESS fatigue because I sense there is generally less distortion and greater balance in the presentation. I think CJ has made such an evolution over the last 2-3 generations of equipment, as have Gryphon, Wilson as well.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
+1...VERY tough. I think the last 2 generations of equipment generally have really pushed the detail, accuracy thing...all told, a good thing imho. But there have sometimes been some side-steps made in achieving this one singular goal. I would say more recently, I have found many of those designers, including some new ones, have managed to generate this level of detail, low noise floor, revealing nature...without fatigue...if anything, there is LESS fatigue because I sense there is generally less distortion and greater balance in the presentation. I think CJ has made such an evolution over the last 2-3 generations of equipment, as have Gryphon, Wilson as well.

You pretty much nailed it..I think lower levels of distortion is a huge factor.

But you also hint at the fact that some "high resolution" speakers, and to a lesser extent, amps, can just drive you out of the room with beaming tweeters and detail at the cost
of musicality. I am a texture, tone, and timbre guy, so I may be ultra sensitive to that.

P.S. I think components and parts of of the highest quality and consistency they have ever been, and materials used in drivers and cabinet enclosures are absolutely
more advanced, and this is a factor.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Because of the honesty the Genesis' provide it is important to have them paired with the right equipment of your choice. I like a sound that is slightly warm in the midrange as it conveys to me a more personal take on the human voice. The introduction of a tube phonostage did that for me, although I'm not quite there yet. I still have all of the detail, accuracy and quickness of the speaker itself, but in a presentation that comforts me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You pretty much nailed it..I think lower levels of distortion is a huge factor.

But you also hint at the fact that some "high resolution" speakers, and to a lesser extent, amps, can just drive you out of the room with beaming tweeters and detail at the cost
of musicality. I am a texture, tone, and timbre guy, so I may be ultra sensitive to that.

P.S. I think components and parts of of the highest quality and consistency they have ever been, and materials used in drivers and cabinet enclosures are absolutely
more advanced, and this is a factor.

I think on the beaming bit, you may be onto something there. I think the reason that some 'super accurate' speakers can drive some of us out of the room is NOT because the cones are not accurate...its because the balance has been set differently. One of the most impressive things (for me) is NOT always detail...but BALANCE. I know that some speakers may not be the last word in detail, but their presentation across the spectrum is SO balanced/so coherent/consistent, that is when I start to listen to music and STOP listening to noises.

The reason I think some super-detailed equipment makes one focus on details rather than music is because for some reason the balance of the presentation is off and as a result, you hear breaks in the presentation which draw you to hear individual parts, rather than the whole...at least that is the way I think about it.

But when someone delivers a super-low distortion piece which is exceptionally well balanced/coherent, well that's the money right there. That balance bit is more art and more personal than science...so I suspect it is different for many of us. But I definitely feel that lower distortion is a great thing, all else being equal. And then it allows each of us to go find the balance we prefer, but enjoying the clear benefit of lower distortion.

For me, the recent DCS Vivaldi, Wilson XLF/Alexia, Rockport Arrakis and Altair, CJ GAT, Gryphon Mephisto/Colosseum are examples of components which have that low distortion, but which also present a coherent balance that makes (me) forget about this bit or that bit...and enjoy the music.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi JV:

Yes, many speakers, even very good ones, sometimes have a SPL "sweetspot", and seem to fall apart at volume extremes. Not so here.

Loudspeaker/system behavior, at various volumes, is an evaluation criterion for me.
Nice write-up, Andre, and congratulations, Gary! :cool:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I think on the beaming bit, you may be onto something there. I think the reason that some 'super accurate' speakers can drive some of us out of the room is NOT because the cones are not accurate...its because the balance has been set differently. One of the most impressive things (for me) is NOT always detail...but BALANCE. I know that some speakers may not be the last word in detail, but their presentation across the spectrum is SO balanced/so coherent/consistent, that is when I start to listen to music and STOP listening to noises.

The reason I think some super-detailed equipment makes one focus on details rather than music is because for some reason the balance of the presentation is off and as a result, you hear breaks in the presentation which draw you to hear individual parts, rather than the whole...at least that is the way I think about it.

But when someone delivers a super-low distortion piece which is exceptionally well balanced/coherent, well that's the money right there. That balance bit is more art and more personal than science...so I suspect it is different for many of us. But I definitely feel that lower distortion is a great thing, all else being equal. And then it allows each of us to go find the balance we prefer, but enjoying the clear benefit of lower distortion.

For me, the recent DCS Vivaldi, Wilson XLF/Alexia, Rockport Arrakis and Altair, CJ GAT, Gryphon Mephisto/Colosseum are examples of components which have that low distortion, but which also present a coherent balance that makes (me) forget about this bit or that bit...and enjoy the music.

We must have done a Vulcan Mind Meld..! Balance is perhaps the most important thing to me when enjoying a sound system. It can have all the touted cliched audiophile virtues, but it if is
not correctly balanced to my ears, forget it.

Anything that is tilted too far in one particular direction is just not listenable for the long haul.

My system may not have the highest resolution, the deepest bass, state of the art imaging, or soundstaging, you know, the usual overused, old and tired phrases, but
is to MY ears, perfectly balanced. And when I insert a component, cable, or speaker that dramatically shifts the balanced.. I know something is wrong.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Loudspeaker/system behavior, at various volumes, is an evaluation criterion for me.
Nice write-up, Andre, and congratulations, Gary! :cool:

Thanks Sam! Agree, because I don't always listen at the same volume, it depends on my mood. I am sure it is the same for many folks.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We must have done a Vulcan Mind Meld..! Balance is perhaps the most important thing to me when enjoying a sound system. It can have all the touted cliched audiophile virtues, but it if is
not correctly balanced to my ears, forget it.

Anything that is tilted too far in one particular direction is just not listenable for the long haul.

My system may not have the highest resolution, the deepest bass, state of the art imaging, or soundstaging, you know, the usual overused, old and tired phrases, but
is to MY ears, perfectly balanced. And when I insert a component, cable, or speaker that dramatically shifts the balanced.. I know something is wrong.

Vulcan mind meld indeed! In total agreement!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing