An indispensible tool- The Granite Audio Ultimate Bass CD

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Recently, I came across a remarkable tool that I have found very valuable in adjusting the bass EQ in my system. I should state right away that this tool will be most useful to folks who have DSP EQ capabilities, but it still should be quite useful to everyone. The CD is made by a company called Granite Audio in Arizona (www.graniteaudio.com) and is simply called the Ultimate Low-Bass Test CD (model #CD-102). (Figures 1 and 2 below) The CD name is an accurate descriptor. The CD includes 99 tracks, and is specifically recorded with every low frequency audio note from 10Hz to 99Hz in 1 Hz increments. (It also includes 7 tones from 103Hz to 121Hz, although they are spaced by 3-4Hz each rather than 1Hz intervals). Finally, there is a 1KHz reference tone in addition to the fantastic 10Hz-100Hz sweep tone band, which is tremendously useful in testing the final EQ of your system. In essence, the CD turns your CD player into a high resolution, low distortion, digital audio generator. The benefits of having every tone without gaps results in increased accuracy in woofer frequency response testing. Coupled with the wonderful $15 spectrum analyzer program for iPhone (Analyze by Onyx3), you have a powerful set of tools for EQ’ing. If you’re concerned about the quality of the mic in the iPhone, don’t be. I’ve actually compared it to a calibrated mic and its performance is actually quite good. More importantly, it’s more than adequate for this purpose

Using the Granite CD, I am able to calibrate my low frequencies with accuracy that I could never achieve using pink noise. Averaging done using pink noise is certainly quite acceptable, but the fine adjustments I can make using DSP and individual tones is at another level entirely. My bass EQ not only measures better than it has in the past, but the sonic benefits are also considerable. In general, some modest lumpiness is now replaced by a bass response that is smoother and better defined sonically.

In particular, the bass sweep track is very useful. Aside from the fact that, played at modest to high volumes, it will quickly identify any room resonances (walls, window panes, table objects, wall art) its main purpose is to help you EQ your bass response for optimum sonic benefit. Using “”Analyze” with peak hold capabilities during a sweep, one can get a great overall picture of functional bass response at a glance at the listening position (see peak hold bars in figure 3 below). The response generated by the sweep can be confirmed by looking at the overall pink noise response (Stereophile Test CD, band 4) as well (figure 4 below).

In summary, the simplicity and ease of using the Granite CD and a very inexpensive hand held analyzer has considerably improved my low end performance. Even if you do not have DSP capabilities, the CD might be very helpful in helping find the flattest or best sounding bottom end in any system, using the techniques that one can control even without DSP (i.e. speaker placement). I highly recommend this CD for all system set-ups. It may be the best twenty bucks I’ve spent on my system ever! The Granite CD and the “Analyze” App, (or some other equivalent) should really be essential tools for any high-end system set-up. I am fairly certain that most users would benefit from their combined use.

Figures 1 and 2
1.jpg 2.jpg

Figure 3
3c.jpg

Figure 4
4.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Are these graphs of your system? I see dips of 4-6dB at 500Hz & 1.5k,and a pronounced (+6dB) presence region. Is that true? Also, are this CD's tones pure sinusoidal (thus exciting room resonances) or warble (much better)? The bass is smooth alright

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Are these graphs of your system? I see dips of 4-6dB at 500Hz & 1.5k,and a pronounced (+6dB) presence region. Is that true? Also, are this CD's tones pure sinusoidal (thus exciting room resonances) or warble (much better)? The bass is smooth alright

Peter,
Your observations highlight to some degree, the inherent flaws in trying to capture an accurate frequency response of any system that is a line array, using the wonderful but limited $14 iPhone App such as "Analyzer" made by Onyx3. To begin, using one microphone and a good pink noise source (I use the one on Stereophile's test CD), where do you place the mic? Should it be at the distance that would be the equivalent of the location between the ears, or should it be at the occiput, or the nose? Due to the fact I am measuring a line array, the response may vary greatly and far more so than if you are measuring a conventional speaker as forward/rearward placement differences of only a few inches will significantly change the blended response of the tweeter line with the midrange unit line. Furthermore, if you place the mic in the midline, that really isn't the same as what the ear hears since the ear is located a few inches lateral to the midline. Therefore, capturing an accurate response of both ears simultaneously is obviously impossible using one mic and a line array speaker, hence compromise reigns supreme. The response I showed initially was used to highlight the rather smooth low frequency response using a posterior microphone placement. If I move the mic in the iPhone forward 2-3 inches (i.e. mid-cranium), my typical response will look more like this, where the midrange/treble response is perhaps more accurately represented than the low frequency response:

IMG_2241.jpg

In any event, keep in mind that these are hardly professional tools or measurements as I would guess the microphone on an iPhone is not ruler flat 20 to 20K. But still, I find them to be useful guidances for listening. For example, if I see the response decrease gently by a few dB from 200 to 8K as it does in the so called "ideal" B&K response curve (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-person-s-experience&highlight=ideal+response) then I know I'm in the right ball park. At the very minimum, I think these quick and dirty measurements can be used with confidence to see if there are glaring frequency response deviations (+/- 15dB!) that are often present in many systems, but at the same time, I would caution against over-interpreting them. It should also be clearly stated that measurements do not and should not drive my system set-up. That can only be done, in the end, by careful listening.
Marty

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Marty, is there a "C" weighting on that iPhone App, or, is it set to some other weighting scheme?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Marty, is there a "C" weighting on that iPhone App, or, is it set to some other weighting scheme?

I have used the Analyser as well for the past 2 years. Well worth the $15. Here is a description of the app.......

Description
The Analyzer is a combination of a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and a full range multiple bands frequency analyzer. It is mainly designed for audio professionals who need to evaluate different working environments (e.g. studios, live stages)... that’s why it’s perfect for anyone who’s in need of acoustical analysis!! It is easy to use and comes with amazing features only known from professional acoustic tools.

Use the Analyzer for measuring stages, testing speakers, setting up your hi-fi system, evaluating sound mixing environments, analyzing your instrument... or for measuring the noise your neighbor makes with his new stereo!

The Analyzer is pre-calibrated for all iDevices, but it includes a calibration function as well. It comes with a highly intuitive user interface with zoom gesture control, individual color settings, reticle zoom and many more exciting features. The Analyzer can store, load and export measurement data and supports iCloud storage.

Combine the Analyzer with external microphones such as the MicW i436 or Microtech M372 for better measurement performance! Or use it with external USB audio hardware like the RME Fireface UCX or the Alesis IO dock, change the measurement scale to dB (FS) and use it as a studio Realtime Analyzer!

ANALYZER FEATURES

SPL Meter:
- SPL measurement weighting functions: A B C Z
- Industry standard response times: impulse, fast and slow
- Meter switchable to dB FS for measuring with external USB interface
- Pre-calibrated for all available iOS devices

Realtime Audio Analyzer (RTA) audio engine:
- Bandwidth selectable from 1 octave up to 1/1200 octave (depending on your iDevice)
- FFT block size from 1024 to 65536 samples
- 6 different FFT window functions
- Leq measurement
- Automatic peak detection
- Signal generator: pink and white noise, sine
- Manual and automatic calibration
- Frequency response compensation for different mic characteristics of the built-in microphones

RTA graphics:
- Touch gesture zoom
- Reticle with lens functionality
- Bar or FFT line view
- User definable graph colors
- Create up to 14 snapshots with hold, Leq, or snapshot function
- Workspace concept: store all current snapshots and color settings
- Snapshot and workspace storage, load and export
- iCloud support: move files between local and iCloud storage
- Export to .csv oder .png files: share them via Mail, Dropbox, iTunes etc.
- Import of .csv files

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Marty, thanks. Yes, I agree these cannot be accurate measurements, only tests for gross problems. Personally, though I have a something called the SoundMeter app on my iPhone, I rely heavily on the RadioShack meter, and adjust the readings based on the correction curve published by Rives Audio for it - see http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?htech&983682086 - BTW, the Rives Audio test CD also includes this correction curve. For tones, I much prefer warble tones as in the Stereophile test CD, because they don't tend to excite room modes.

In the last two weeks or so, and after having completed all mods to my source components (latest of which is my tuner [shielded RF section, Mundorf coupling caps], while my Revox's electronics are still being upgraded by a tech), I have made major strides in re-integrating my REL sub with the help of those tools; and this time it's in phase. All these years I haven't been able to do it in phase, and reverse-phase would correct a 50Hz hump; however, there were audible phase issues elsewhere in the bass. As it turns out, all the source-component mods I've made plus the addition of the Typhon have almost eliminated the flabby, somewhat overblown bass of all said components in favor of tight and faster bass, which then in turn enabled me to re-integrate the sub in-phase (before the mods, in-phase would just exacerbate the flabby bass), crossed at 25Hz and with lower output. I must admit, at this point I feel I am winning the fight against this monster called woofer-sub-room integration.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BTW, I just bought this Spectrum Analyzer - way cool! Using the test tone generator, I can easily hear the 10kHz tone with both ears, but with the 16kHz tone, one ear is fine, the other can barely hear it over the noise floor, though I have to assume the speaker's output at that frequency is also greatly rolled off.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing