Technics SP-10MK3

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
How are you liking the balanced version? Is it even more quiet?

I'm not going to say it's a night/day difference or veils were lifted (or other audiophile cliché's), but yes, there is a slight difference in noise and also dynamics. I can tell the difference by going back and forth from albums that I had previously recorded and now. The Doshi was way ahead of the curve to begin with. It just got a little better! :D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I'm not going to say it's a night/day difference or veils were lifted (or other audiophile cliché's), but yes, there is a slight difference in noise and also dynamics. I can tell the difference by going back and forth from albums that I had previously recorded and now. The Doshi was way ahead of the curve to begin with. It just got a little better! :D

Nice! It was already very, very good.

That is very handy to be able to record and compare the the differences latter. I plan on getting an ADC when funds allow.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Shoot-out :D

Ki - with nearly 30 tape machines in your home, do we see an equal number of turntables and phono stages?

Ok Gary. I must confess that I do have other turntables in the house. As of yesterday, I do have two Thorens TD-124s, two Thorens TD-124 Mk2s, Lenco L75 (on KLaudio plinth), Nottingham Dais, Forsell Air Reference, and soon to arrive Technics SP-10Mk3. For phono stage, I do like the ones built into old McIntosh MX-110s (4 ea.) Quicksilver Full Function Preamp, Marantz 7C, Linn Linto, and Pass Xono. There are few Doc B's Bottlehead tube phono stages that were to be modified into tape preamps and few other DIY phono kits that still waiting to be assembled. And I forgot few others that I may have stored in the attic...

But still it's hardly the equal number of turntables and phono stages as my tape machines.

theophile

Ok Gary. I must confess that I do have other turntables in the house. As of yesterday, I do have two Thorens TD-124s, two Thorens TD-124 Mk2s, Lenco L75 (on KLaudio plinth), Nottingham Dais, Forsell Air Reference, and soon to arrive Technics SP-10Mk3. For phono stage, I do like the ones built into old McIntosh MX-110s (4 ea.) Quicksilver Full Function Preamp, Marantz 7C, Linn Linto, and Pass Xono. There are few Doc B's Bottlehead tube phono stages that were to be modified into tape preamps and few other DIY phono kits that still waiting to be assembled. And I forgot few others that I may have stored in the attic...

But still it's hardly the equal number of turntables and phono stages as my tape machines.

Ki,
I know that the answer to my next question is very much one of personal opinion as opposed to absolute merit, but how would you rank your current turntables from best to less best?

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Check out the SP10 MK3 in this video, plus this the best sounding Apogee set up I've ever heard.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Ki,
I know that the answer to my next question is very much one of personal opinion as opposed to absolute merit, but how would you rank your current turntables from best to less best?

we will need to wait a bit more. I was informed the SP-10Mk3 is ready for an airplane ride and the Forsell needs more time to be fine tuned. will report the progress soon.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Thanks Peter for the video.
Saw the SP-10Mk3 with custom power supply. Since I saw the Technics controller also the new power supply must be a step down transformer for 120VAC to 100VAC with filter of some sort.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Greetings All, To shed further light on the aforementioned upcoming Artisan Fidelity Technics Sp10Mk3 Next Generation Signature model, I thought I would post a couple of production pictures of the constrained layer damped composite Panzerholz plinth core along with a shot of the aircraft aluminum billets we are utilizing for the exterior skeletal design. Further CNC production videos are scheduled to be uploaded in upcoming weeks on You Tube, which will better illustrate what the latest architecture encompasses. The plinth, similar to our previous Mk3 based models, does Incorporate an active bearing drain module. The first production units feature slightly different exterior angles, height profiles and layout, per each clients individual request. The essential core infrastructures however, remain identical.

IMG_8807 copy.JPG

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
IMG_8787 copy.JPG

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Taking Shape!

IMG_9315 copy.JPG

VPN

VIP/Donor
Dec 28, 2013
After 20+ years without an analog front end, I started putting together one.

I recently received at home (in Brazil) a Technics SP10 mk3 modded by Steve Dobbins. Also got a phono preamp (Tom Evans Mastergroove mk2), and now deciding which arm, cartridge and cables to purchase. I have to start purchasing lots of Vinyl!

SP10MK3.jpg

Last edited:

theophile

I just got hard.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Purdy.......!!!;) Now I'd like to see one in that carbon fiber material, similar to what is on the platter.....

Last edited:

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Beautiful, just beautiful!

But is it really fair to still call this a Technics Sp10 Mk3?

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Chris, It is really beautiful!

How does it sound, compared to your other two models for SP10 mk3?

Thank you! (To everyone)

In certain aspects, the Signature platform is unlike any other previous interpretation of the Technics Sp10Mk3, namely in its ability to exhibit a pitch black background during playback and extrapolate the most intricate musical nuances and inner detail from recordings. Furthermore, one thing which became immediately noticeable during testing and tuning phases, was this models ability to instantly spotlight even the finest phono cartridge adjustments and tonearm parameters, any associated physical material changes and even related internal mechanical torque tension settings. The precision machining tolerances and exclusive material application/selection no doubt play a key role in this capacity. That being said, unless the music enthusiasts personal tastes and system demands a truly no compromise design approach, our Technics Sp10Mk3 NG platform or conventional platform should certainly prove more than adequate.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Vicente,

Congrats, that's a gorgeous turntable :)
Let's get together to go record shopping here in SP!

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing