What to do with ground beef?

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I've got about 25 pounds of lean ground beef left over from a cow I bought last year and I'm looking for some recipes to mix things up a bit. I'm getting tired of eating the same old tacos, spaghetti, sloppy joes, and hamburgers. I've been searching and coming up with the typical heavy casseroles, meatball, and meatloaf type recipes and very few lighter and or different things to try. What recipes I have tried have been mediocre at best. So how about it, what's your favorite ground beef recipes?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love Kabab Kubideh with flat bread, humus, grilled tomatoes and a cucumber salad :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
You need to have a BIG BBQ.

Invite a lot of people.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Russian Fluff. I'll have to offer you the family recipe. Some of the ones online kinda bite....if you know what I mean. Good food man, good food. May even become a staple in your household. ;)

Tom

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Meat Loaf!
heat oven to 325
In a large bowl mix
About 2.5 to 3lbs ground beef
Dice a red onion up
Dice 4 mushrooms
crush & dice 2 cloves of garlic
mix and add 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
mix and add about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup Progesso french onion soup to smooth the consistency of the ground mixture.
add seasoning, italian seasoning,oregano,and I use Montreal steak seasoning.
add 1 whole raw egg and mix and mold. Place in large cooking pan like a pyrex or cast iron
Top with diced onion and Porcini mushrooms and then cover with a mixture of your favorite BBQ sauce and a small can of tomato sauce or use a good Ragu sauce (if you want a Italian meatloaf) and
bake for about 1 hour. Enjoy

p.s you can pour the rest of the french onion soup in the pan for gravy.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
mmm...i like jacks suggestion with masst o khiar and lavash bread on the side. its on my brain now, i'm thinking of persian for lunch tomorrow.:cool:

cabbage and bell peppers stuffed with ground beef are slavic staples and my Hungarian grandma would approve.:b

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Chinese Beef Jerky (or Bak Kwa) - usually done with minced pork, but it's more flavorful with minced beef.

You need a nice, fatty mince, though.

Recipe:
4 lbs beef (or pork) mince
1 lbs brown sugar (I use muscovado)
2 tbsp Chinese maltose
4 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp Chinese rose wine
2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
2 tsp powdered white pepper
2 tsp Chinese liquorice powder

Mix up all the ingredients in a big mixing bowl and stir with bamboo chopsticks until the whole mess becomes gluey. It will take a strong arm and quite a bit of work. The trick is to only stir in one direction (I do clockwise).

Leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 24 hours, or at least overnight.

Preheat the oven to 225 deg F.

Spread the minced meat over parchment paper in a baking sheet thinly. It should be no more than 1/8" thick. With the 4 lbs of meat, you should be able to get about 4 to 5 12" x 18" sheets of meat. Leave out to dry in the sun for 1 - 2 hours.

Now, bake the mince in the oven until it cooks, solidifies and the fat renders (about 30mins to 1 hour).

Turn upside-down on cooling racks and peel the parchment paper off. Leave to cool and dry out.

Cut into 6" squares.

When ready to eat, BBQ over hot coals.

This is what you get:
bakkwa.jpg

http://www.beechenghiang.com.sg/our-story/our-bakkwa.html

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Gary....Yum...Yum!!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You're making me want to hop on a plane to Macau Gary!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Ground beef is the one ting I won't freeze. I find it leeches the blood when thawing and makes it rather tasteless and dry. I'm ok with it after it's been cooked however. (meatsauce, meatloaf, meatballs, cabbage rolls, etc.)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Jack - the best is still the Singapore version, but may be that's just what I am used to eating. There's a branch in Malate - on the ground floor of Robinson Place.

Ground beef is the one ting I won't freeze. I find it leeches the blood when thawing and makes it rather tasteless and dry. I'm ok with it after it's been cooked however. (meatsauce, meatloaf, meatballs, cabbage rolls, etc.)

I agree. Any mince will do that - leak out all the yummy juices. The great thing about the recipe I have above is that it freezes great after the baking step. I cut up the slices together with the parchment paper, stack it all up and freeze. Then, whenever my kids feel like it's time for a snack, fire up the barbie and cook a slice. Great recipe for when we find good ground beef or ground pork on sale.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA

I fed a bunch of American gaming press reps that the last time I was in Singapore on a game related trip. Their first reaction. "It's like bacon..." "Except better." "I dunno... seems awful fat and unhealthy to me." Since we were close to China Town, we went there again the next day and I got a "Get we get more of that jerky stuff?" from the guy that said it was too fatty. LoL.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I fed a bunch of American gaming press reps that the last time I was in Singapore on a game related trip. Their first reaction. "It's like bacon..." "Except better." "I dunno... seems awful fat and unhealthy to me." Since we were close to China Town, we went there again the next day and I got a "Get we get more of that jerky stuff?" from the guy that said it was too fatty. LoL.

Yep - definitely very unhealthy...... but you could easily use up 25lbs of mince very quickly. My kids can polish off 4lbs of this in a couple of days - you do have to consider that after the dehydration, that 25lbs is less than 15lbs.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
Thank you all for the great ideas and recipes. I'm going to try them all and I love the fact that so many recipes are things I've never heard of before!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Chinese Beef Jerky (or Bak Kwa) - usually done with minced pork, but it's more flavorful with minced beef. You need a nice, fatty mince, though.

i found this place and its almost in my backyard (30-mi away):

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fragrant-jerky-rosemead

seems legit and made on the premises. its compared to Singapore Bak Kwa by a few reviewers. They specialize in mail order i ordered a few pounds to try it out.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing