Current Refrigerators, what's best?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Maybe we had bad luck. Our super expensive fridge came with wrong sized drawers. We didn't know that and kept wondering why they would fall off their rails. Called them, they confirmed they were the wrong size shipped with the unit and charged us ton of money to send the right size! If they give away free units and such, we didn't see any of that.

To be fair, the unit has been running OK now for a couple of years so maybe it will go for 25.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012

Wow...that's fantastic! :D
Does this policy of product and customer support remain intact, today :confused:

I honestly don't know because I left that business way back in '91. At that time Sub Zero was a privately held company that was eclectic to say the least. Parts were by serial number, not model, because specifications did change without notice. If one of the owners saw a better made thermostat, or other part, a change was ordered immediately, for example. "Cost be damned." seemed to be the mantra.

The utmost care was also taken where customers were concerned. The factory had to know about the customer's problem, of course. Letters from customers were, and probably still are, a top concern at management level. Responses to letters from the company were always prompt and positive when I represented the line, so much so that it almost drove us nuts at times. They seemed to honor virtually any request. I suggest that any concerns be addressed in a letter to them, if the dealer isn't doing what you expect.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I endorse Sub Zero too. I experienced one for 13 years in my apartment with no trouble. The Viking refrigerator in my house has had to be serviced 5 times in the 9 years I have had it.

As a less expensive alternative I would consider Samsung. I have been very happy with a Samsung laundry washer and a Samsung microwave.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Refrigeration will last 50 - 200% longer if the coils, condensers, etc. are cleaned of all dust [and grease if you fry a lot] at least twice a year.
The energy efficiency goes down the tubes when the components are dirty.
The manufacturers & distributors will not inform you of that for obvious reasons [who reads the manual?].
zz.

A couple of hours ago I was trying to decide whether to curse you or to thank you.
Your post prompted me to pull out the small fridge from under the worktop and give it the clean you recommended after probably 10 years in situ.
It certainly needed it and now feeling virtuous and grateful to you.
Now I will have to do the same for the similarly sized and sited freezer which has been there even longer once I have defrosted it.
At least I will feel even more virtuous once that's done!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I endorse Sub Zero too. I experienced one for 13 years in my apartment with no trouble. The Viking refrigerator in my house has had to be serviced 5 times in the 9 years I have had it.
When we were remodelling years past we were quietly steered away from Viking saying they had serious design problems. Someone else makes their fridges and they had done some tweaks to make them Energy Star compliant and that had broken the design.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Speaking of cleaning the coils, the ones on our subzero is on top so it picks up grease. No vacuum remotely does anything to it. I have to sit there with a toothbrush and carefully clean the fins with some kind of soap. Slightest wrong movement bends the delicate fins. And of course all the while you are standing on a ladder to do this work. And the unit is shut off which does you no good with the significant other who is worried everything going bad inside. And oh, to take the grill off that protects the coils, you have to have the door open, letting out more of the cool air.

Mind you, it does get dirty less often and ours is situated very close to our cooktop so it picks up more grease than it would otherwise, but wanted people to know about this issue.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Extreme warning - Subzero & changing your tire

Extreme warning - Subzero & changing your tire.
To assist the cleaning process:
The following is less expensive than a set of high-end cables.
Install a 30 amp dual motor 960 Vacuflo central vacuum. This uses two exhausts for the two motors - IMPORTANT - DO N0T MERGE/COMBINE THE TWO EXHAUSTS.
Also, try to use gentle radius bends for the piping.
The power of this unit will greatly assist the cleaning process before going to a variety of brushes.
In some areas compressed gas can be used carefully.
EXTREME WARNING: If you do not know how to change a tire on your vehicle in less than several minutes, do not attempt to clean a SUBZERO - hire a tech.
zz.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks zz. I have a dual barrel central vacuum that can pull the skin off your hand but it is no match for grease impregnated dust particles that are stuck to the fins. On the outside grill, it gets half of them but even there, despite the louvers being very open, it still cannot do anything. Other than liquid cleaning, I have not found anything that works in this situation. And that is a messy, messy process and keeps the unit down for many hours.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
personal IED

Thanks zz. I have a dual barrel central vacuum that can pull the skin off your hand but it is no match for grease impregnated dust particles that are stuck to the fins. On the outside grill, it gets half of them but even there, despite the louvers being very open, it still cannot do anything. Other than liquid cleaning, I have not found anything that works in this situation. And that is a messy, messy process and keeps the unit down for many hours.

Do NOT do what I do / If someone walks in & turns on the gas range you become a personal IED.

I wet the throw-away rags with acetone & dip brushes in acetone [some brushes melt]. After use I throw them on the concrete driveway to vent so as not to have a spontaneous combustion fire.

zz

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As a woodworker, I am very aware of spontaneous combustion of rags. I too make sure they are dry before discarding them. Had not thought about using them on the coil though. I will give it a try with the toothbrush and see how it works. Thanks for the advice.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
As a woodworker, I am very aware of spontaneous combustion of rags. I too make sure they are dry before discarding them. Had not thought about using them on the coil though. I will give it a try with the toothbrush and see how it works. Thanks for the advice.

Aha! I knew it! For a while I thought I recognized you as one of the guys involved with HD-DVD (some years ago) but I guess I was confused. :)

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
A couple of hours ago I was trying to decide whether to curse you or to thank you.
Your post prompted me to pull out the small fridge from under the worktop and give it the clean you recommended after probably 10 years in situ.
It certainly needed it and now feeling virtuous and grateful to you.
Now I will have to do the same for the similarly sized and sited freezer which has been there even longer once I have defrosted it.
At least I will feel even more virtuous once that's done!

Definitely a curse please. I need a nice, dry, eloquent, British, understated curse.
Thank you,
zz

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I still like sub-zero. We are ordering a 24" freezer column with a 30" refrigerator column.

(This is in recompense for spending a fortune per month in rent for two years for a London flat which had only a college dorm-sized beer refrigerator.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing