Unusual turntable

jdza

May 3, 2010
This ad appeared in a 1978 edition of Japanese magazine Stereo Sound. Not reading Japanese I can see it is a model 4824 but made by ?

Image from a current e bay ad for the magazine,sadly not the turntable.

DSCF5930.JPG

DSC06559.JPG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Interesting not a clue. Looks like a Japanese Mapleknoll only with a captured bearing. :) Wonder if Alan Sliski is still here?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
It looks as if it would belong in a console. Perhaps a "high end" console upgrade, 1978 style?

Tom

theophile

The disc on the front right hand of the top plate says "Air Float".

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It looks as if it would belong in a console. Perhaps a "high end" console upgrade, 1978 style?

Tom

I'm pretty sure that table never saw the inside of any commercially made stereo console.

theophile

I'm pretty sure that table never saw the inside of any commercially made stereo console.

What are you basing that conclusion upon?

jdza

May 3, 2010
Could it be some sort of early Teragaki?

081015_003.jpg

The disc says Something illegible (but too short to be Teragaki) followed by Air Float and Model 4824

mep

Apr 20, 2010
In other words: you made it up.

Seriously dude, look at the table and tell me what console you think that might have possibly been used in. It appears to be a very high-end Japanese table with an air bearing arm with pressure gauges built into it. How many consoles have you ever seen in your life with a table like that? Zero I'm sure. Outside of Lyric Hi-Fi who used to have their own custom cabinet shop back in the day and actually built consoles with very high-end gear built into them, no commercial console that I'm aware of ever had high-end components built into it. Most American consoles had a BSR or Garrard cheap table built in and many that weren't recognizable by their manufacturer. I think the 'best' turntable I ever saw built into a console was a Sylvania unit that had a Dual turntable built in.

theophile

Still guessing I see.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Still guessing I see.

I never said it was anything more than a guess, but it's a damn good one. An air bearing tonearm with a pump installed inside of a console? Really? Like I said, common sense.

theophile

I never said it was anything more than a guess, but it's a damn good one. An air bearing tonearm with a pump installed inside of a console? Really? Like I said, common sense.

A shot in the dark.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
A shot in the dark.

Look, if you have an ace up your sleeve and you have a picture of that table inside a console, let's see it. I'm basing my guess on common sense and 50 years of experience looking at and listening to audio gear. From what I see from you, you just want to be cute and argue. I'm in no mood for nonsense. Put up or shut up.

theophile

Look, if you have an ace up your sleeve and you have a picture of that table inside a console, let's see it. I'm basing my guess on common sense and 50 years of experience looking at and listening to audio gear. From what I see from you, you just want to be cute and argue. I'm in no mood for nonsense. Put up or shut up.

Not arguin'. Just exposing your transposition of guess for fact.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Not arguin'. Just exposing your transposition of guess for fact.

Being cute again I see. I never said it was fact, it was and is my best guess just like you want to argue it was mounted in some console. That's your guess. I'm willing to put money on my guess. By the time air bearing arms hit the market, consoles were dead in the marketplace and were and are far too sophisticated for use in a console designed for housewives to operate.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, please respect each others opinions. If you disagree with someone, there is no reason to make snide comments. It is, after all, just a hobby. The management team would like to remind you of the TOS of this forum. This can be found here > http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1207-Terms-Of-Service

We will specifically point out that cordial participation is a key requisite of being a member in our forum. Your forum administrators rule with a gentle hand but should the occasion arise where we must take immediate and strong action, we will do so. In that case, our decisions are not subject to debate. With that said, let's continue on with the conversation in a kind and polite manner, even if different viewpoints present them self.

Tom

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
according to my better half who is fluent in nihongo, its a Makara model 4824. beyond that you'll have to do your own research.

PS - theres and abstract with the US patents office in Los Angeles ca 1978 the inventor is Robert Cheeseboro.

jdza

May 3, 2010
Well that hoo-hah will teach me to not be curious about such contentious issues as obscure 1970s Japanese record players.

Thanks Puroagave .Translation much appreciated .Wading through the Cheeseboro patent application it appears that the only reference to the Model 2848 is a reference to a technical paper about the Model 2824. Cheeseboro's patent seems to have nothing to do with the "Air Float"( bar linear tracking) but concern motor driven radial arms and sealed machines with zero tracking force.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
according to my better half who is fluent in nihongo, its a Makara model 4824. beyond that you'll have to do your own research.

PS - theres and abstract with the US patents office in Los Angeles ca 1978 the inventor is Robert Cheeseboro.

Interesting, not referenced here. Rabinow filed his patent for the air bearing arm in 1967. (Great history of the development of the air bearing arm.)

http://www.google.com/patents/US4455641

I wonder if that was ever a real product???? Or a one off?

BTW, Alan Sliski, one of the air bearing arm's co-developers is quite a researcher and inventor (many years ago we met and collaborated on a project) . Don't know how many of you have seen the new TV ad (at least in the NY area) for using protons (once again) to treat cancer. One of the basic issues with using proton beams is spreading the energy peak out over a usable distance so as to totally encompass the tumor. Alan and his co-author developed a means of spreading out the "Bragg peak" and this research has revolutionized the use of proton particle beams.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2013/0131424.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing