Le Mans 24 hour

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Any fans ? The leader in the top class LMP1 is out Toyota. It's now an Audi Porsche contest. The Porsche 919 hybrid is the first Porsche LMP1 car to race since the venerable 917 in 1978. Great stuff if you are a racing enthusiast. Coverage on Fox Sports channel for this interested.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
#14 Porsche got stuck, back in race now.. what happened to #20?

#20 is in second place, 2 laps down. 14 had a fuel mgmnt issue that cost them quite a few laps early on.

I am starting to lust for the rare 2011GT3 RS 4.0 liter motor 500 bHP naturally aspirated pleasure. I could trade my '04 GT3 with only 11k mileage. When I think about my Odin upgrade, I probably could of gotten that car with mine as trade...lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 120

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
#20 is in second place, 2 laps down. 14 had a fuel mgmnt issue that cost them quite a few laps early on.

I am starting to lust for the rare 2011GT3 RS 4.0 liter motor 500 bHP naturally aspirated pleasure. I could trade my '04 GT3 with only 11k mileage. When I think about my Odin upgrade, I probably could of gotten that car with mine as trade...lol

Christian, I am a BIG fan of Le Mans. Love the race...unfortunately don't get the coverage.
Your thought of the upgrade cost to the GT3 RS does boggle the mind a little when compared to the cost to go Odin. Plus, I suspect the GT3 RS may increase in value over time...the Odin, well not so much:(

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
I'd like to attend this race, someday :)
Has anyone ever gone/participated?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Being local compared to you guys I have been 3 times and loved every one. Not for many years now sadly but was only saying to my wife it would be good to go again, perhaps next year. There is something very special about racing through the night, the sounds become very distinct, glowing brake discs and all that.. We often get to see some of the cars close up at the Goodwood Festival of Speed which is almost on my doorstep, quite amazing feats of engineering..

jdza

May 3, 2010
Any fans ? The leader in the top class LMP1 is out Toyota. It's now an Audi Porsche contest. The Porsche 919 hybrid is the first Porsche LMP1 car to race since the venerable 917 in 1978. Great stuff if you are a racing enthusiast. Coverage on Fox Sports channel for this interested.

Wow no! Who can forget the Rothmans sponsored 956s and 962s driven by Derek Bell,Hans Joachim Stuck and Al Holbert that so dominated Le Mans in the late 80s?

images.jpeg

LMP 1 Porsches at Le Mans 1970(?) to 1998

LeMans_2.jpg

Last edited:

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
We are very fortunate here in the UK as Sky TV cover the whole race.

As at 12.20pm UK time the the current leaders are:
1 Audi 2 Audi 3 Porsche 4 Toyota Hybrid

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

IF anyone had any doubt about hybrids performance and reliability ..

1. Fassler/Lotterer/Treluyer GER Audi Sport Joest R18 e-tron 379 Laps LMP1
2. Kristensen/Gene/di Grassi GER Audi Sport Joest R18 e-tron 376 Laps LMP1
3. Davidson/Lapierre/Buemi JPN Toyota TS040 Hybrid 373 Laps LMP1
4. Prost/Heidfeld/Beche SUI Rebellion R-ONE Toyota 359 Laps LMP1

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I hope to watch Le Mans one day... and also wish to be rich enough and crazy enough to join Gumball 3000 one day :D

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011

what were you thinking:confused::eek: lemme see, RS 4.o or speaker wire...duh:D doesn't your gt3 have a built motor? its what i recall from my rennlist days.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Wow no! Who can forget the Rothmans sponsored 956s and 962s driven by Derek Bell,Hans Joachim Stuck and Al Holbert that so dominated Le Mans in the late 80s?

yeah, those were the days when the mulsanne had no chicanes. i recall an interview with derek daly who drove a jag XJR-9LM in the '88 race. on the mulsanne at night when the temps drop and the HP goes up he clocked 254+ mph driving flat out, the mulsanne 'kink' at those speeds is more like a blind corner - those guys had big cajones.

jdza

May 3, 2010
yeah, those were the days when the mulsanne had no chicanes. i recall an interview with derek daly who drove a jag XJR-9LM in the '88 race. on the mulsanne at night when the temps drop and the HP goes up he clocked 254+ mph driving flat out, the mulsanne 'kink' at those speeds is more like a blind corner - those guys had big cajones.

There was an interview with Bell once where he said that at night, with the big dome like windscreen combined with the reclining driving position in the Porsches ,the stars flashing by at such high speed on the long Mulsanne straight would put him in a trance,almost making him forget to brake hard at the corner! Especially bad if one remembers that on both models 917 and 956 the drivers feet were in front of the steering rack with only a very thin fibreglass skin between those feet and the concrete wall.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
what were you thinking:confused::eek: lemme see, RS 4.o or speaker wire...duh:D doesn't your gt3 have a built motor? its what i recall from my rennlist days.

Yup, I was a rennlist regular from 2003-2007. The problem with these cars is that they are limited fun on the street if you like to comply with local speed ordinances. Tracking them is the only way to enjoy their full potential. I'm sticking with my car. Only 11K in mileage...still has 380 Hp at the wheels....which is enough for a 3000lb car.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Being local compared to you guys I have been 3 times and loved every one. Not for many years now sadly but was only saying to my wife it would be good to go again, perhaps next year. There is something very special about racing through the night, the sounds become very distinct, glowing brake discs and all that.. We often get to see some of the cars close up at the Goodwood Festival of Speed which is almost on my doorstep, quite amazing feats of engineering..

Wonderful!:D

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Won't forget the time at Goodwood standing behind the race winning Audi, still uncleaned while the engine was being run at revs, and in the other ear I think it was Troy Bayliss blapping his Ducati GP bike, ruined my HF for weeks!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Haha...sweet engine/exhaust note, I hope :p

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014

I used to be a big fan of LE MANS. I can remember as a young teenager one of the most famous of all the LE MANS 24 hour races when JACKIE ICKX was in a FORD GT 40, and it was not considered a competitive car, especially compared to the favored PORSCHES, yet he and his co driver (OLIVER, I believe), beat a Porsche in the closest of all the LE MANS races, by under 100 yards!! This after 24 hours of continuous racing to win by 100 yards ! SIMPLY AMAZING !!..............
CHEERS...........T

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing