Advice For Using A Mint Tractor

number95

May 14, 2014
Gordon, it's true that there is some additional effort with vinyl, but to me at least it is well worth it. Today, for example, I listened to Holly Cole's Temptation album on vinyl and was blown away by how good it sounded. This was the first time I had listened to the whole album on my new turntable and I was really enjoying it. It was so good, I decided to listen to it again, this time on digital. Sad to say, but it wasn't even close, IMO. The vinyl didn't just wipe the floor with the digital, it kicked it to the curb. Now, I have to overlook the few ticks or pops and sometimes some extra sibilance with vinyl, but the extra vividness and realism is exceptional to me.

+1. I generally use digital source as to check the alignment (including vta, vtf, zenith, overhang) of cartridge/tonearm combination. If digital sounds close or if there is not a clear difference, it reminds me that analog is not properly set up and that pays off. Currently, my analog setup is so superior to my digital source such that one does not need to be an audiophile to decide. Last night I did some listening and also compared some lp to digital not only cd but dsd as well to check the final alignment with my new cartridge (Zyx Universe Premium Edition). Miles Davis - Cooking 33 rpm 180 gr vs cd vs xrcd vs dsd, then Patricia Barber - Cole Porter Mix 33rpm 180gr vs cd, Claire Martin - Too Darn Hot 180 gr 33rpm vs dsd. Again no comparison. When switching to vinyl, there is almost no going back to digital. But to get to that, proper alignment of cartridge via a good protractor including right azimuth setting (thanks to Fozgometer and Adjust+ that I both have) is crucial. For sure, I have not listened to best of DCS gear, there has been a thread under digital that finally best digital is almost at par with a good analog setup. Curious to know.

dmnc02

Member Sponsor
Jul 10, 2012
PA, USA
+1. I generally use digital source as to check the alignment (including vta, vtf, zenith, overhang) of cartridge/tonearm combination. If digital sounds close or if there is not a clear difference, it reminds me that analog is not properly set up and that pays off. Currently, my analog setup is so superior to my digital source such that one does not need to be an audiophile to decide. Last night I did some listening and also compared some lp to digital not only cd but dsd as well to check the final alignment with my new cartridge (Zyx Universe Premium Edition). Miles Davis - Cooking 33 rpm 180 gr vs cd vs xrcd vs dsd, then Patricia Barber - Cole Porter Mix 33rpm 180gr vs cd, Claire Martin - Too Darn Hot 180 gr 33rpm vs dsd. Again no comparison. When switching to vinyl, there is almost no going back to digital. But to get to that, proper alignment of cartridge via a good protractor including right azimuth setting (thanks to Fozgometer and Adjust+ that I both have) is crucial. For sure, I have not listened to best of DCS gear, there has been a thread under digital that finally best digital is almost at par with a good analog setup. Curious to know.

+2. I also find comparison with a digital source useful when fine tuning my analog setup.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Updating this old thread, and looking for suggestions of how to view the stylus during alignment- I’m thinking of using USB microscopic- any suggestions?

I am getting my Strain Gauge phono cart back this week and have to re-install on my Graham Phantom II using the Mint Protractor. I used to use a Japanese fiber optic earwax cleaning tool to view the stylus alignment from up close, but that device is broken.

musklvr

Aug 11, 2020
Updating this old thread, and looking for suggestions of how to view the stylus during alignment- I’m thinking of using USB microscopic- any suggestions?

I am getting my Strain Gauge phono cart back this week and have to re-install on my Graham Phantom II using the Mint Protractor. I used to use a Japanese fiber optic earwax cleaning tool to view the stylus alignment from up close, but that device is broken.
I've found that because of how far recessed the stylus sits in the body, 10x magnifiers are too difficult to focus due to the depth of field. I used a 3.5 x magnifier to set overhang and zenith and even that was a challenge with many repeats to verify zenith.
It is possible to use an inexpensive usb scope for overhang but not for zenith.
Like you, I would love to hear from anyone with a better method.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I found Dino Lite sells a scope that can view from a distance of several inches, up to 6 or more. They are much more expensive however.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I’ll make a new thread but I just aligned my strain gauge with the Mint via a long working distance microscope. 36E21FED-FD81-4B14-A004-EC10E943C0E1.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing