Best phono stage?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
This should be a very interesting phono, offers some very nice options - I like what I see and read.

Also like the fact of 68db gain for lower output mc's and it's not priced over 30k and has 12ax7's and 6922's...I've always like the sonic signature of those tubes vs 6h30's..that's a very general statement...

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
If we are talking tubes for use in a phono section:

6H30s have microphonic problems and have to be hand-picked. Even then its a problem. 6922s are from the same family of frame-grid triodes.

12AX7s OTOH have trouble making bandwidth, due to their higher impedance, but being designed for audio, microphonics are not so much an issue. I prefer 12AT7s as you get most of the gain but a lot more bandwidth.

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
My vote goes to the Nagra VPS. After all these years I still have not heard a better phono stage. I listened to the Allnic but preferred the Nagra. I will be demo the Thoress in a few weeks and report back. My suspicion is that the Thoress is king but have to listen first: http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/?p=7979
From my research I suspect that Thoress helped design the TW phono. In the end though, it will take a great deal to better the Nagra.....

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Very interesting indeed....
The new Thoress phono enhancer seems to be a completely different unit than the early collaborative effort with TW - very excited to hear both but but I'll be hearing the Thoress first in a few weeks. Regarding the Allnic, it's that detail you describe that I did not like. However, I can understand why many would like the Allnic. But I found it's detail and lit up sound distracting whereas the Nagra had the better flow and musical message intact. The Nagra just sounds more refined to me with less information overload. All a matter of taste!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I owned the original Thoress/Reinhard designed TW phono stage, it was good,but the Ypsilon phono for example was quiieter and had better resolution, the new TW design is I believe all his own work, he brought along an 813 amp to Munich which was breathtaking.
Keith.

At 3 times the price, one would hope the Ypsilon would sound better.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Very interesting indeed....
The new Thoress phono enhancer seems to be a completely different unit than the early collaborative effort with TW - very excited to hear both but but I'll be hearing the Thoress first in a few weeks. Regarding the Allnic, it's that detail you describe that I did not like. However, I can understand why many would like the Allnic. But I found it's detail and lit up sound distracting whereas the Nagra had the better flow and musical message intact. The Nagra just sounds more refined to me with less information overload. All a matter of taste!

i had the Thoress Phono Enhancer in-house for a few weeks last year. beautiful inside and out. lots of inputs and the RIAA adjustments. if it works in your system and super good value. should sell for twice the price.

better to my ears than what i recall of the Yipsalon from shows. however; the Thoress is quite system dependent in terms of noise. i owned the Allnic H3000 with the newer transformers a few years back....which is not in that league at all. don't know about the Allnic H5000dht. my current darTZeel phono is very good too....maybe the Thoress a little better but again, noise can be an issue.

i think the new darTZeel phono in the new dart preamp is the best i have heard. this new one not yet shipping, maybe next month.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
My vote goes to the Nagra VPS. After all these years I still have not heard a better phono stage. I listened to the Allnic but preferred the Nagra. I will be demo the Thoress in a few weeks and report back. My suspicion is that the Thoress is king but have to listen first: http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/?p=7979
From my research I suspect that Thoress helped design the TW phono. In the end though, it will take a great deal to better the Nagra.....
+++1
I have had the Nagra VPS for almost 8 years and every component change, whether cart,cable, tube or tonearm has been clearly discernible. IMHO, the VPS rarely gets the kudos it deserves.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
+++1
I have had the Nagra VPS for almost 8 years and every component change, whether cart,cable, tube or tonearm has been clearly discernible. IMHO, the VPS rarely gets the kudos it deserves.

+++2

Had mine about 8 years now it...been a hard piece to replace

Dreamaudio

Nov 26, 2014
Hi There ! Im a new member and just want to share that i just tried the TW PHONO RPS 100 and it matched well with my System.

Cheers !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi There ! Im a new member and just want to share that i just tried the TW PHONO RPS 100 and it matched well with my System.

Cheers !

Hi Dreamaudio, welcome, this is a great forum, I am hoping you'll enjoy it as much as I do. Now you HAVE to say more about the TW Phono stage ! What phono stage did you have to compare it to? What's the rest of your system? You may have been the first on this forum to try this phono stage...I'm very curious !!

Dreamaudio

Nov 26, 2014
TW PHONO RPS 100 matched well with my system :

TW BLACK NIGHT TT w Air Tight PC 1 Supreme Cart , BURMESTER B100 Speaker , Burmester 011 pre & 911 amp , Oracle MAX Rev 2 Cables Phono Cable , Oracle MAX Rev 2 Interconnects and Oracle MAX Speaker Wire , Transparent Audio Reference MM2 Power Chords , MIT Z Bar Power Conditioning.

Compared to my recent Phono Stage which is EAT Phono & Rega IOS Reference Phono , the TW RPS 100 was a way lot better in all aspect of musicality BASED on my system
so far.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just got some Lamm LP2.1Ds in today. Burn in time :)

I'm looking forward to checking out Vladimir's latest handy work. The review is in the new TAS but I only skimmed it.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just got some Lamm LP2.1Ds in today. Burn in time :)

I'm looking forward to checking out Vladimir's latest handy work. The review is in the new TAS but I only skimmed it.

Curious to hear your outcome. TAS seemed almost to prefer the pass...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Apparently the Pass edges it in dynamics and the Lamm edges the Pass in dimensionality according to the reviewer. Too bad I have neither the funds nor the rack space for an LP1 Signature. Next year is going to be an expensive one for me so I have to pull the reins pretty hard on audio hardware. As far as software goes….over my dead body! LOL!

I believe I'll be happy with "trickle down" from the flagship for now. Not that I have a choice really. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So far this is what I've got. The LP2.1 knocks the socks off the LP2. More dynamic, even better sense of space (where the LP2 shone) and better inner detail. Now officially lusting for the LP1 Signature. C'mon Santa, do me a SOLID this season! LOL!

oldears

Jun 8, 2014
Interesting to hear comments on the Lamm Lp 2.1. I was lucky enough to run a back to back Lp 2.1 vs AudiaFlight in my system a week or 2 ago. For me it was no contest, while the LP 2.1 was exceptional, it just didn't have the speed and dynamics of the Audia .... well that's just my take on it. I guess it is similar to my take on the Lyra Atlas vs Olympos. I suspect it is a personal choice as to the type of sound one prefers.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
TW PHONO RPS 100 matched well with my system :

TW BLACK NIGHT TT w Air Tight PC 1 Supreme Cart , BURMESTER B100 Speaker , Burmester 011 pre & 911 amp , Oracle MAX Rev 2 Cables Phono Cable , Oracle MAX Rev 2 Interconnects and Oracle MAX Speaker Wire , Transparent Audio Reference MM2 Power Chords , MIT Z Bar Power Conditioning.

Compared to my recent Phono Stage which is EAT Phono & Rega IOS Reference Phono , the TW RPS 100 was a way lot better in all aspect of musicality BASED on my system
so far.

Congrats but why no Burmester 100 phono - it's a amazing phono and seems that it would be a perfect match in your system. I did hear the TW100 at the RMAF show but in a unfamiliar system, set-up was sounding very musical even though everything was shrunk. I have never heard a full Burmester set-up and due to your TW table may offer some nice synergy - enjoy!

Should post some pics

Dreamaudio

Nov 26, 2014
TW RPS Phono 100

PHONO RPS 100

Would never buy it, have a customer where his avalon burned of, this phone sent DC out..

Poorly made and you put not a computer in a phono.

Seven GT Phono Stage is one of the best...

-- i hope the warranty of RPS Phono 100 covers damages due to DC out problems it cause.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing